vs. RED SOX, 9/08

OFFNY

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

For the first time since 1979, the Orioles have a double-digit lead in the division.

The 1983 Orioles never had a double-digit lead, and the 1997 Orioles' peaked with a 9 and-a-half game lead on June 4th:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/1997-schedule-scores.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/1983-schedule-scores.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/1979-schedule-scores.shtml

As I stated in another thread last week:

(POSTED ON AUGUST 31st)

I haven't seen this type of dominance by the Orioles within the division since 1979, when they stomped their way to the title in the final 2 months of the season.

The 1983 and 1997 division champion teams were (for the most part) in a competitive race from the beginning until the end.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/140048-Orioles-in-1st-place/page24?highlight=Orioles+Place

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Elias knew Means and Bradish were possibly coming back sometime early in the first half.     He started the year with Burnes, GRod, Kremer, Wells, and Irvin.  Presumably, Wells and Irvin would go to the bullpen and be replaced by Bradish and Means.   To acquire another proven starter at that point would have blocked Bradish or Means. As badly as Suarez and Irvin are pitching now, they both went about a month of pitching great and propelling us to a great start.   They almost got us to the deadline.  Well, they did get us to the deadline and now we have a chance to address our weaknesses. A perfect plan?  Maybe not but it’s certainly not the worst plan I’ve ever seen.
    • What wait? Texas is 5 games out of the wild card. How did they get to skip all the way to the ALDS as our impending matchup? Texas is not that good and I don’t think we need to try to worry about matching up against weaker/inferior opponents based on last season’s results/teams IMO. There are several AL opponents that are better than Texas. Including 2 in our division, 3 in AL Central, and 2 in the AL West.
    • That's why I said "potential ceiling," and not comp. Thanks for the critique. 
    • He has a 4.13 ERA and 4.8 WAR the last 2 years with more promising peripherals. Kremer has a 4.21 ERA the last 2 years with peripherals suggesting he’s more of a 4.50 ERA guy. I’d say he’s a pretty big upgrade but agree I would like someone better than him if they are just getting one starter. The wall would probably help him out a bit as well.
    • As long as we also got 2 good RPs like Scott and Estevez, I would be pretty satisfied if ended up with Taillon (especially if the Cubs eat a bit of money, say $5-7 million per year) and Trevor Rogers from Miami as our deadline rotation additions. That would be 2 more solid arms for the rotation mix with 2 years of control each, and 2 good bullpen guys for this year's playoff run, all without having to deal any of Holliday, Mayo, Kjerstad, and Basallo. 
    • He traded for Burnes pre-season. We have no idea what he will do at the trade deadline this year under new ownership but the Burnes move (and Kimbrel) is an indicator it won't be the same as last year. I am guessing we would need a Skubal/Crochet level guy to trade any of Holliday/Mayo/Basallo/Kjerstad and his inclination will be to trade from Stowers/Norby/Beavers level guys. We can still get someone good for that: either a #3 with a year of control, or a rental #2. 
    • I agree Irvin/Suarez are redundant but they are both out of options. They have both shown enough upside that it would suck to lose either of them or we will find ourselves in the same situation next year. And this is without Coulombe getting back in the mix. He would push out Perez. I don't know, I'm more inclined to go for quality over quantity so we're not losing guys who can help us, now and in the future.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now