Interesting note from MLB Trade rumors

joeride

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 years down the line, trading top 100 prospects for one year rentals almost always turns out bad, so I can't say I'm really happy with the trade still. Miller better be the difference between winning a playoff series and not.

This sounds good but isn't actually true. I'm not saying this trade will or won't turn out bad; just that similar trades do not "almost always turn out bad". Most of the time, they turn out meh.

This sounds good but isn't actually true. I'm not saying this trade will or won't turn out bad; just that similar trades do not "almost always turn out bad". Most of the time, they turn out meh.

I'm talking mainly from a WAR kinda perspective. You might get 1 WAR from a 1 year rental player, while giving up 6 years worth of controlled WAR from a prospect. It barely ever comes out looking pretty.

It makes it even worse in this case since with our big lead, getting Miller for the regular season doesn't matter at all, so for the trade to be worth it he'd need to have a significant post season and be the deciding factor in some games.

This. We've seen O's prospects over the years who breezed through AAA but couldn't make it in the majors. Rodriguez might make us regret the move eventually - but I'm fine with taking this chance. Not only did we get Miller, but another AL team potentially didn't.

I think that's a more reasonable way of looking at this. And let's not forget ERod was struggling all season. We expected to see a bump in progression this year but didn't. You can't be a revisionist here. This team was in dire need of a lefty setup guy and making this move prevented him from being in a Tigers uniform today, which may prove fruitful in a few weeks as we are on collision-course with Detroit as far as I can tell.

On top of that, how many young starting prospects can we keep? I don't second-guess this move at all. It was the right move at the right time for this team. Can't look back.

I'm talking mainly from a WAR kinda perspective. You might get 1 WAR from a 1 year rental player, while giving up 6 years worth of controlled WAR from a prospect. It barely ever comes out looking pretty.

It makes it even worse in this case since with our big lead, getting Miller for the regular season doesn't matter at all, so for the trade to be worth it he'd need to have a significant post season and be the deciding factor in some games.

Enjoy your WAR. Most prospects never enjoy a meaningful major league career, much less contribute to a pennant drive. If EdRod does, good for him. The O's were 1.5 games up in the standings the day they traded for Miller and needed to bolster the back of the bullpen. In addition to the WAR he's earned, how much has Miller contributed to the psyche of this team and these fans? You don't know, because WAR doesn't calculate that. WAR is a meaningful statistic, but it doesn't mean everything. Winning means everything. And while the trade may project to being statistically uneven at some point in the future, sometimes you have to overpay in projected WAR to win today. In this case, I think it was a great deal.

10 years down the line, trading top 100 prospects for one year rentals almost always turns out bad, so I can't say I'm really happy with the trade still. Miller better be the difference between winning a playoff series and not.

This is more or less how I feel. Miller has made Buck's life a little easier, but our bullpen performed well before he got here and I dare say we would have won the AL East with or without him. So, Miller has to do well in the playoffs and it has to be important to a team success for me to feel like an otherwise questionable trade was justified.

It seemed a steep price at the time of the deal and that wasn't so long ago.

Already, EdRod appears to be a far more valuable asset than a little bit of time with Andrew Miller.

Eduardo was not going to help the Orioles this year. They have baseball to play. That's the bottom line. Whatever Eduardo turns into. I'm glad we have Miller for this stretch.

Good post. Steep price. Understandable trade. Miller has given us a lock down 7-9 inning. Rodriguez has looked like a different pitcher since the trade. Still, he has a long way to go to make us regret this one.

Eduardo and Hader both looked like good prospects. The inventory needed to secure a number three starter and a lock down late inning ace.

Right. That being said, though, you only have 25 major league spots. I'm confident we have other guys that can provide 6 cost controlled seasons, many more impactful than Eduardo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoy your WAR. Most prospects never enjoy a meaningful major league career, much less contribute to a pennant drive. If EdRod does, good for him. The O's were 1.5 games up in the standings the day they traded for Miller and needed to bolster the back of the bullpen. In addition to the WAR he's earned, how much has Miller contributed to the psyche of this team and these fans? You don't know, because WAR doesn't calculate that. WAR is a meaningful statistic, but it doesn't mean everything. Winning means everything. And while the trade may project to being statistically uneven at some point in the future, sometimes you have to overpay in projected WAR to win today. In this case, I think it was a great deal.

This is a similar concept to finance. Take a lower potential return for certainty today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah. I don't like that WAR analysis. It's the same one that says Bob Grich is as good as Derek Jeter. And i'm told he isn't.

Archived