Chris Davis Suspension Timing Awful Suspicious

brianod

1) No condescension here. That's your imagination. (FYI, there's no "tone" established by me. If you must know, it was in an inquisitive tone of voice, not a condescending one).

2) Name-calling? Why? No reason to get nasty. None whatsoever.

MSK

Name calling? Oh, I'm not call you a loser, that's your imagination. If you must know I'm talking about the Astros and the Rangers and teams like that whose fans will have ample time come October to come up with all kinds of contrived - excuse me, sophisticated - reasoning revealing why a reality that is obvious and acknowledged is nonetheless untrue. May this utter waste of time bring comfort to those who need it.

I'm not being nasty, just inquisitive. Why is a cover-up necessary to understand the Chris Davis situation?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So let me see if I've got the theory straight:

The Red Sox -- a team that has already been eliminated, has nothing to play for, and has no reason to give a flying fig about the Orioles or any other team -- cooked up a conspiracy to tell the MLB drug testers to take an extra-close look at the drug test results of Chris Davis, because they were convinced that a guy in the midst of his worst-ever season would magically heat up during the playoffs and possibly lead the O's to a World Series win, which the Red Sox -- again, a team that has no vested interest in the outcome of the playoffs this year -- couldn't bear to contemplate.

That does sound much more likely than, you know, Chris Davis taking a banned substance and then failing the drug test.

o

I don't believe that there is a conspiracy in this particular case.

Regarding a possible appeal, I'm sure that someone has probably already made note of this, but this is a case in which it is probably best not to appeal. The reason being is that an appeal would allow Davis to play a few more games now, but it would probably only delay his suspension (as opposed to having it reduced, or pardoned. And if that happened, it (the suspension) would probably cover the entire postseason for the Orioles, instead of the 8 games that it currently is.

o

I don't believe that there is a conspiracy in this particular case.

Regarding a possible appeal, I'm sure that someone has probably already made note of this, but this is a case in which it is probably best not to appeal. The reason being is that an appeal would allow Davis to play a few more games now, but it would probably only delay his suspension (as opposed to having it reduced, or pardoned. And if that happened, it (the suspension) would probably cover the entire postseason for the Orioles, instead of the 8 games that it currently is.

The last thing the Orioles need at this moment is an ongoing PED sideshow as a distraction. I have to believe CD gets that.

I don't think it's a conspiracy. Unfortunately baseball has rules against certain substances and unfortunately Chris tested positive.

If this was the NBA I would absolutely suspect something. That sport is as corrupt as you can imagine. I haven't heard the same about MLB. Though with anything, I can't say it would surprise me.

Are you kidding me? All professional sports are about one thing. To suck as much money out of the public as possible. Have you not seen the NFL lying about the Ray Rice scandal? Much like Ray Rice, I think someone knew about this a long time ago and didn't admit to it. Anyone that believes any thing out of an owners or commissioners mouth should accept the free cruises we all get over the phone.

This whole situation, and espeically the timing, does seem odd. The whole league was probably screaming to test him last year when he was having that monster season, but now he finally gets busted at almost the end of a down year. And not even for steroids.

But yeah, I agree with whoever said that if it were a conspiracy to sabotage the O's, they would have gone after Cruz, not Crush. Maybe there's something else going on though. This type of stuff isn't really conspiracy theory in my opinion, just discussion fodder. :thumbsup1:

This whole situation, and espeically the timing, does seem odd. The whole league was probably screaming to test him last year when he was having that monster season, but now he finally gets busted at almost the end of a down year. And not even for steroids.

But yeah, I agree with whoever said that if it were a conspiracy to sabotage the O's, they would have gone after Cruz, not Crush. Maybe there's something else going on though. This type of stuff isn't really conspiracy theory in my opinion, just discussion fodder. :thumbsup1:

Not odd at all. He was getting tested 8 times a year. I bet he passed the first 7 and failed the 8th.

I don't think that the timing is suspicious.

Rather, the timing is poor for Chris Davis and the Orioles.

He knew that he was being subjected to testing for the substance and he chose to take it anyway.

That's the fact of the matter IMO.

Further, I think the Red Sox and Yankees are more concerned about improving their teams' for next season.

However, if they or any other team had a hand in turning in Davis, I'm actually glad that the Orioles' success has them so distracted.

Speaking of suspicious timing. They adjust the rule right before the Yankees come to town...."Speaking of home, did anyone notice how Major League Baseball decided this week to adjust Rule 7.13 for catchers blocking the plate? It's no longer legal to straddle it, as the Orioles have been doing since spring training.

Oh really? Now it's not allowed?

That method was fine until the final month of the regular season. Joseph, Matt Wieters and Nick Hundley left a clear path for the runner, as required by the rule, but they did so without being stationed beside the plate and having to make a sweeping tag.

Showalter and bench coach John Russell figured out a way to abide by the rule without putting their catchers at a greater disadvantage. It was inspired and I'm surprised other teams didn't copy it. But there must have been complaints, which reached Joe Torre, the executive vice president for baseball operations.

I'm told that the word "straddle" actually appears in the memo sent to clubs on Tuesday.

Care to guess who complained the loudest?"...http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2014/09/this-that-and-the-other-68.html

Speaking of suspicious timing. They adjust the rule right before the Yankees come to town...."Speaking of home, did anyone notice how Major League Baseball decided this week to adjust Rule 7.13 for catchers blocking the plate? It's no longer legal to straddle it, as the Orioles have been doing since spring training.

Oh really? Now it's not allowed?

That method was fine until the final month of the regular season. Joseph, Matt Wieters and Nick Hundley left a clear path for the runner, as required by the rule, but they did so without being stationed beside the plate and having to make a sweeping tag.

Showalter and bench coach John Russell figured out a way to abide by the rule without putting their catchers at a greater disadvantage. It was inspired and I'm surprised other teams didn't copy it. But there must have been complaints, which reached Joe Torre, the executive vice president for baseball operations.

I'm told that the word "straddle" actually appears in the memo sent to clubs on Tuesday.

Care to guess who complained the loudest?"...http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2014/09/this-that-and-the-other-68.html

You know it's stuff like this that makes a person go hmmm. The MLB is headquartered in NY and it seems like rules get changed after the Yankees complain. Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And here we go.

Same ol' pattern. I remain calm and speak with respect and then the flapjack crew comes out of nowhere to deliberately flame the situation.

Guys, the Orioles are a winning club, this stuff is SO 2009.

MSK

Well you have to admit that you're a big fan of conspiracy theories, and conspiracy theories tend to sound crazy.

Archived