J.J. Hardy would like to stay, but 'everything changes' in free agency

wildcard

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would be a shame if the Orioles let him walk away. I have zero doubt that they'd get a nice discount. Same goes for Nick.

Methinks your heart assumes too much.

I've predicted that Hardy is gone ever since Roch reported that Duquette has yet to approach JJ about an extension. I still hope I'm wrong. But the evidence continues to support that he's being given the Roberts and Reynolds treatment.

I think it will be the years that entice him to leave.

The O's will no doubt give him a qualifying offer. They probably will go 13M per year on a multi year contract. But they will probably bulk at 4 years. Hardy's 32-35 years. Middle 30's with a history of back issues. The Yankees will be willing to go that extra year that the O's will probably not do. Then its up to JJ. And as he says "everything changes in FA.". Just my guess.

DD had to know this was coming. We will see what happens.

A bidding war with NY?

NJ.com and the New York Post said Monday that Hardy would consider signing with the Yankees in free agency, who are looking for a replacement for future Hall of Famer Derek Jeter.
“Would the Yankees be the first choice?” Hardy said. “There are 29 other teams out there, and if I make it to free agency, it's whatever happens, happens. Do I want to stay here? Yeah. I've always said since spring training that. So I guess we wait and see what happens.”

I think Hardy's agent has been asking for 4/53 ever since Peralta signed last November.

I've been asking for a red corvette for Christmas for years. :)

As much as I want to keep JJ (At the right price).

I think it's pretty clear, that DD would have locked him up by now, if he was in their master plans.

Of course, just IMO.

I think it will be the years that entice him to leave.

The O's will no doubt give him a qualifying offer. They probably will go 13M per year on a multi year contract. But they will probably bulk at 4 years. Hardy's 32-35 years. Middle 30's with a history of back issues. The Yankees will be willing to go that extra year that the O's will probably not do. Then its up to JJ. And as he says "everything changes in FA.". Just my guess.

DD had to know this was coming. We will see what happens.

One thing we know for sure is that DD is sharp and on top of this. We could (and most likely will) let some of these guys walk in the next couple years get a few nice high comp picks retool the ranks and replace the value. Sure we may lose some net defense or offense either way you go, but I really think we're missing the idea that Manny can most likely be an equal or better SS at some point. I think of the 5 guys up for FA in the next two offseasons we only bring back 3. My guess Davis, Cruz and Markakis.

One thing we know for sure is that DD is sharp and on top of this. We could (and most likely will) let some of these guys walk in the next couple years get a few nice high comp picks retool the ranks and replace the value. Sure we may lose some net defense or offense either way you go, but I really think we're missing the idea that Manny can most likely be an equal or better SS at some point. I think of the 5 guys up for FA in the next two offseasons we only bring back 3. My guess Davis, Cruz and Markakis.

I think Cruz is gone. Davis is very, very questionable to be with the O's after next year. Nick stays on a two year contract. I think they bring back Young as a DH/OF.

I think Cruz is gone. Davis is very, very questionable to be with the O's after next year. Nick stays on a two year contract. I think they bring back Young as a DH/OF.

I don't doubt it. None of us really knows, but i'm looking forward to see what combination of guys stays and our board discussions this offseason :). I think it will say a lot about what DD values in what combination he chosses.

There was another article out yesterday on Cruz's desire to stay with us again. Now what that does to the dollars I don't know, but it's sure nice to know we are desired location again.

We are going to get lots of this. It comes with the territory. I think that what to do about Hardy is the toughest call the O's have to make this winter. Make the QO presumably for sure, then hope DD does what is best.

I have faith in what he is doing either way, but I like JJ and believe he would be the most important and most difficult player to replace.

Davis is very, very questionable to be with the O's after next year.

To elaborate on my predictions......If the above happens I think you MUST make a hard attempt to sign Wieters. I'd like to keep Matt but I think he'll want HUGE money and he's just not worth that. Maybe this injury helps us with leverage a bit, but I think locking up Davis at a reasonable price is easier.

I don't doubt it. None of us really knows, but i'm looking forward to see what combination of guys stays and our board discussions this offseason :). I think it will say a lot about what DD values in what combination he chosses.

There was another article out yesterday on Cruz's desire to stay with us again. Now what that does to the dollars I don't know, but it's sure nice to know we are desired location again.

Again I think its the years that keep the O's from signing Cruz.

He will get at least 3 years at 15 to 17M per year. I can't see the O's committing to that amount at 36/37 years old. Plus this his career year. He is not likely to repeat it.

Archived