MLB.com's Position by Position Analysis

Yardball85

This analysis seems very pro-Tigers, and their closer analysis almost made me fall out of my chair. Also, the positions the Orioles win (SS, CF, bullpen), I believe they win by a landslide.

However, some of the ones DET wins, are quite close (3B, RF, DH, SP). If we had Machado, we would easily win 3B, but a rookie Castellanos still does not win by all that much over whomever we throw out there. In my eyes, Markakis and Hunter are a wash - Nick has a higher OBP, Hunter has more power. As for DH, Martinez has been terrific this year, and even if he beats Cruz, it's by the skin of his teeth. Starting rotation is experiences vs. pitchers, besides Schzerzer, who have been better than the Tigers' staff.

All in all, just another analysis provided by some talking heads. Share your thoughts.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you all read this:

Position-by-position breakdown for Tigers-O's

Reading that depresses me. They have the Orioles better than Detroit at only two positions - Center and Short. They even say Detroit is better at DH (can we at least call that one "even"?).

It's hard to argue with their logic except in one instance. They do pitching as starters, relievers and then closer. They do say the Os are better with relief but then say Detroit is better at closer? What the hell are they smoking?

Nathan better than Britton? Nathan has been horrible this year. Britton has been amazing. My main hope for this series is that Nathan imitates Jim Johnson from 2012 and we get two wins that way.

CLOSER

Joe Nathan has pretty much seen it all in 10 seasons as a big league closer. The veteran saved 35 games for the Tigers this year, his ninth season with at least 30 saves. Only Mariano Rivera, Trevor Hoffman and Lee Smith have more 30-save seasons. A six-time All-Star, Nathan has pitched in the playoffs in five different seasons but has never advanced past the Division Series. On the other end of the spectrum, Britton is in his first year as a closer. The left-hander has proven capable in that role, converting 37 of 41 save chances. Pay attention to how Britton responds to the bright lights of October. Advantage: Tigers

NMTB-DavidTennant-Laughing.gif

CLOSER

Joe Nathan has pretty much seen it all in 10 seasons as a big league closer. The veteran saved 35 games for the Tigers this year, his ninth season with at least 30 saves. Only Mariano Rivera, Trevor Hoffman and Lee Smith have more 30-save seasons. A six-time All-Star, Nathan has pitched in the playoffs in five different seasons but has never advanced past the Division Series. On the other end of the spectrum, Britton is in his first year as a closer. The left-hander has proven capable in that role, converting 37 of 41 save chances. Pay attention to how Britton responds to the bright lights of October. Advantage: Tigers

NMTB-DavidTennant-Laughing.gif

It's not laughable at all to suggest that Britton might not perform under the pressure of the playoffs. How did it work out for Jim Johnson? How many saves did he blow against the Yankees?

It's not laughable at all to suggest that Britton might not perform under the pressure of the playoffs. How did it work out for Jim Johnson? How many saves did he blow against the Yankees?

I see your point but Nathan is awful.

One of the things you can't judge by this is that the gap between 2014 Cabrera and Pearce is very small as is the gap between V-Mart and Cruz.

Meanwhile the "Advantage: Orioles" regarding the bullpen should read

Orioles>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Tigers

...as should the Manager.

Did that have to do with the bright lights getting to him? Or was it some combination of fatigue, over exposure and normalization to mean?

There are plenty of examples of teams going into the post season with rookie closers. Last year for instance.

But Britton is fundamentally a much better pitcher than JJ even at his best. JJ had a lucky season in 2012. Britton is not having a lucky season right now.

This series should not be evaluated on a position by position basis. The orioles play team baseball better than almost anyone and their defense is second to none. If I am evaluating this series, it's about whether the orioles offense can get to some elite level starters or whether the orioles pitching can keep the team close enough to give their solid offense a shot at a notoriously bad bullpen.

Have you all read this:

Position-by-position breakdown for Tigers-O's

Reading that depresses me. They have the Orioles better than Detroit at only two positions - Center and Short. They even say Detroit is better at DH (can we at least call that one "even"?).

It's hard to argue with their logic except in one instance. They do pitching as starters, relievers and then closer. They do say the Os are better with relief but then say Detroit is better at closer? What the hell are they smoking?

Nathan better than Britton? Nathan has been horrible this year. Britton has been amazing. My main hope for this series is that Nathan imitates Jim Johnson from 2012 and we get two wins that way.

Literally posted this an hour and a half ago and got no response http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/144208-MLB-com-s-Position-by-Position-Analysis

Archived