Trade Schoop?

vab

Pretty much this. He already plays outstanding defense, and was middle of the pack for 2B in WAR at 22. I don't see the point in trading him, even using the argument that we want to win now. He's already better than any of our other options, and likely will keep improving.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
True enough, but he sure didn't help us come playoff time did he?

You serious Clark?

Shame on the Orioles for being so naive to think a 22 year old would help them win a WS

Oh my God, I think you are serious...

Did you not watch the team when they were in the field?

It doesn't appear as though he did...

You're going to have to elaborate on that one man...

Um, he was awesome defensively during the games that happened after the regular season? Does that help?

Schoop was more valuable than Chris Davis this season, if you ask me...and sadly, that includes offensive production...Schoop had nearly equal, and some even better, offensive numbers than Crush...but if I recall, nobody wanted to get rid of Davis through the regular season...

I loved Davis last year, but this year he proved my concerns to be correct, unfortunately...I was worried that he was having his fluky year and that he would return back to Earth in 2014. I didn't, however, expect him to fall as far as he did. He is a perfect example of a player that didn't hit his stride until his late 20's...and when that happens, especially at such a ridiculous level of production from his previous seasons, it usually means that they aren't going to be as likely to maintain it. Davis wasn't playing every day at 22, not even close. Weams and CoC are correct, this kid is way ahead of the game and I wouldn't be surprised to see him jump from #9 on that list of second basemen to at least #6, maybe even #5 or #4 next season. That is something that he has shown some signs of being capable of doing, and for what he doesn't bring with the bat, he MORE than makes up for with his glove...which will continue to get even better.

Don't trade Schoop unless someone blows us away with a super star at a real position of need and a near ML ready prospect. Most people who are used to evaluating prospects and projecting their future productivity would agree with that...which is why they were all calling him such a good prospect while he was in the minors.

I am personally pumped up about the way Schoop produced for us this season, given that he was only 22 and basically forced Buck to keep him at the ML level all season. We had 4 or so guys in spring training that had significantly more ML experience that had every chance to force him to go back down, and none of them could do it. He will only get better next season, which is a year further way from the broken back and a full season of being a starter at the ML level...he knows what his weaknesses from a ML perspective are now much more than he could ever know from playing in the minors...I expect this offseason will be one of the biggest jumps in his entire career because he now has 4-5 months to work on them without interruption.

I couldn't be happier about this kid being ours. I expect he will be a .260, maybe even .285 hitter with 25-ish HRs and incredible defense as early as next season, but even if it takes 2 or 3 seasons, I don't want to lose him...

You serious Clark?

Oh my God, I think you are serious...

It doesn't appear as though he did...

Um, he was awesome defensively during the games that happened after the regular season? Does that help?

Schoop was more valuable than Chris Davis this season, if you ask me...and sadly, that includes offensive production...Schoop had nearly equal, and some even better, offensive numbers than Crush...but if I recall, nobody wanted to get rid of Davis through the regular season...

I loved Davis last year, but this year he proved my concerns to be correct, unfortunately...I was worried that he was having his fluky year and that he would return back to Earth in 2014. I didn't, however, expect him to fall as far as he did. He is a perfect example of a player that didn't hit his stride until his late 20's...and when that happens, especially at such a ridiculous level of production from his previous seasons, it usually means that they aren't going to be as likely to maintain it. Davis wasn't playing every day at 22, not even close. Weams and CoC are correct, this kid is way ahead of the game and I wouldn't be surprised to see him jump from #9 on that list of second basemen to at least #6, maybe even #5 or #4 next season. That is something that he has shown some signs of being capable of doing, and for what he doesn't bring with the bat, he MORE than makes up for with his glove...which will continue to get even better.

Don't trade Schoop unless someone blows us away with a super star at a real position of need and a near ML ready prospect. Most people who are used to evaluating prospects and projecting their future productivity would agree with that...which is why they were all calling him such a good prospect while he was in the minors.

I am personally pumped up about the way Schoop produced for us this season, given that he was only 22 and basically forced Buck to keep him at the ML level all season. We had 4 or so guys in spring training that had significantly more ML experience that had every chance to force him to go back down, and none of them could do it. He will only get better next season, which is a year further way from the broken back and a full season of being a starter at the ML level...he knows what his weaknesses from a ML perspective are now much more than he could ever know from playing in the minors...I expect this offseason will be one of the biggest jumps in his entire career because he now has 4-5 months to work on them without interruption.

I couldn't be happier about this kid being ours. I expect he will be a .260, maybe even .285 hitter with 25-ish HRs and incredible defense as early as next season, but even if it takes 2 or 3 seasons, I don't want to lose him...

And once again, your whole response is just a guess and a hunch. You guys never cease to amaze me with that. I hope we have something good in Schoop, but I'm not buying into it until we see something better than what looks like a AA batter. His defense has been great, for the most part.

No deal. School is our Cano. Next year or the next we'll enjoy his ability even more. He is an all star in the making.

All star talk, really? Sure he has some good qualities, but who looks at a guy that hits .209 strikes out a ton as being an all star in the making? I couldn't be any further away on that opinion. Yes, he is young, I get that. I think some of you all are putting the cart way in front of the horse here.

And once again, your whole response is just a guess and a hunch. You guys never cease to amaze me with that. I hope we have something good in Schoop, but I'm not buying into it until we see something better than what looks like a AA batter. His defense has been great, for the most part.

Everything is a guess and a hunch. Did you see Davis' year coming? How about Pearce? Britton?

Odds are good that Schoop will provide excess value next season.

Everything is a guess and a hunch. Did you see Davis' year coming? How about Pearce? Britton?

Odds are good that Schoop will provide excess value next season.

I realize it's all a hunch. I just don't practice playing the odds with someone who has underperformed at a super level.

All star talk, really? Sure he has some good qualities, but who looks at a guy that hits .209 strikes out a ton as being an all star in the making? I couldn't be any further away on that opinion. Yes, he is young, I get that. I think some of you all are putting the cart way in front of the horse here.

Why are you so hard on the kid?

Most of us look at Schoop and we see talent and an upside.

You look at Schoop and you pick on his Ks. Yes, he does strikeout, he is a hacker, like Jones, who happens to be an All-Star.

His defense is strong, which makes him than a replacement level player.

If he can raise his batting average and his power numbers will raise accordingly.

This will take him into all-star caliper play range.

How is putting up a 1.6 WAR at 22 under performing?

Sure you can make him look good by stating his WAR. You could do that with alot of players who play good defense but cant hit. I am just one who DOES see potential, but i think he could benefit from getting more reps in somewhere else, that's all. Then again I don't know who we could rely on the man 2b. He is our best option going forward, there is no doubt about it, I just hope his bat comes around. The thing that makes the Giants such a good team is that offensively there are no holes 1-9, not one hole. Once Schoop stops being that gaping hole, I will feel alot better.

Sure you can make him look good by stating his WAR. You could do that with alot of players who play good defense but cant hit. I am just one who DOES see potential, but i think he could benefit from getting more reps in somewhere else, that's all. Then again I don't know who we could rely on the man 2b. He is our best option going forward, there is no doubt about it, I just hope his bat comes around. The thing that makes the Giants such a good team is that offensively there are no holes 1-9, not one hole. Once Schoop stops being that gaping hole, I will feel alot better.

How is a run prevented not the equivalent to a run produced?

How is a run prevented not the equivalent to a run produced?

There may not be any technical difference, but when you can bank on Schoop striking out or doing something dumb at the plate when we need that one rbi to win the game it's a big difference. Every player does this too, i know that, but i have confidence in Schoop doing it

There may not be any technical difference, but when you can bank on Schoop striking out or doing something dumb at the plate when we need that one rbi to win the game it's a big difference. Every player does this too, i know that, but i have confidence in Schoop doing it

I personally get annoyed when there is a big game at bat on the line and I see Schoop is up. I immediately lose heart, and I will bet that alot of others are with me.

Can't? Or hasn't?

This is a tremendous difference and the age 22 season gave plenty of reason to believe there is upside. Can we afford to play the next 5 years with a slick fielding no hitting 2b? I would think not. But I am certainly willing to keep Schoop at ML minimum salary to see if he can adjust.

I do agree with your point that the Orioles have some holes and I believe that is part of why they are at home and not still playing. But I trust DD and Buck to figure out what to do in order to improve. If they deem moving Schoop then I'm ok with that.

But I would go so far as to say that if I had to pick the one player guaranteed to be back next year, it would be Schoop. The upside and the money simply do not give you a choice. And while he may never hit like Trout, he was asked to do a lot for us at 22 and I think he did great.

And finally, no one here is making him look good. He did that all by himself. You want more, so does everyone else. Let's be happy we get to find out.

I personally get annoyed when there is a big game at bat on the line and I see Schoop is up. I immediately lose heart, and I will bet that alot of others are with me.

I recall a couple of game winning hits by Schoop this year, one of which was in Tampa and I believe he got another one against Boston.

Schoop isn't being depended on as the cleanup hitter. at this point, he is at the bottom of the lineup for a reason, to take the pressure off him.

You do realize he hit 16 home runs and drove in 45, while at the plate this year?

Archived