Trade Schoop?

vab

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's all agree that Altuve and Zobrist and my personal favorite, Cano are not a possibility for the 2015 Orioles.

Asdrubel Cabrera might be pretty cheap/reasonable FA, he has had good offensive years in the past, is only 28, and he's probably much better at second base than ss (even though the metrics hated him last year).

So is Altuve, but what would be the cost in players to acquire them?

Isn't Zobrist on his last year? And Rays are trying to dump payroll. Zobrist wouldn't even be in the same neighborhood at Altuve. He has value, but teams aren't going to give up the farm to acquire a 33 year old rental who they know the Rays are probably wanting to trade.

Isn't Zobrist on his last year? And Rays are trying to dump payroll. Zobrist wouldn't even be in the same neighborhood at Altuve. He has value' date=' but teams aren't going to give up the farm to acquire a 33 year old rental who they know the Rays are probably wanting to trade.[/quote']

I am guessing here but I don't think the Rays trade Zobrist unless they are out of it at the deadline. I think that they think they have enough pitching to make a run for it in 2015.

I would be very hesitant to be the winning bidder on Zobrist's services as a free agent. (age concerns)

Rotographs suggests that through regression alone he should hit 250/300 next year. That bump should mean he hits 20+ HR.

You don't think a plus glove and 20+ HR with a 250/300 line plays in the majors for 500K? And that doesn't even account for the growth that almost all 22 year old rookies enjoy.

I have a lot of respect for Rotographs, but I don't see that next season. For a guy who did that for one month all season I don't see that for his outcome the whole year.

After watching him all year and knowing his propensity to swing at pitches outside of the strike zone it's tough for me to think he makes that type of improvement.

Isn't Zobrist on his last year? And Rays are trying to dump payroll. Zobrist wouldn't even be in the same neighborhood at Altuve. He has value' date=' but teams aren't going to give up the farm to acquire a 33 year old rental who they know the Rays are probably wanting to trade.[/quote']

Zobrist's 2015 salary is relatively low and the Rays are looking to be competitive. It's the Rays so you never know, but it won't be a salary dump if they deal him imo. It'll need to be a favorable deal to satisfy both their short term and long term goals.

The Tigers gave up a starting MLB CF and SP with upside as a No. 3 for only two months of David Price. The Royals gave up their #1 prospect for two years of James Shields. I could see Zobrist getting a decent haul from somebody desperate to compete. It wouldn't be a payroll dump so much as the Rays' strategy of trading veterans at their peak to get younger.

The Tigers gave up a starting MLB CF and SP with upside as a No. 3 for only two months of David Price. The Royals gave up their #1 prospect for two years of James Shields. I could see Zobrist getting a decent haul from somebody desperate to compete. It wouldn't be a payroll dump so much as the Rays' strategy of trading veterans at their peak to get younger.

Price wasn't a rental. And the SP was someone the Rays liked a lot, but he wasn't like some big time prospect or viewed as a major leaguer with a ton of upside. He was more of a low ceiling, high floor kind of player that the Rays saw something mechanically wrong with him and thought he could be a high ceiling guy.

One year of a 33 year old isn't going to cost a ton. Certainly not a AAAA player, but you aren't breaking the farm for him either. And I think the Rays are willing to keep Zobrist, but I think they would like to trade him. They have already said they are going to shed payroll for this year. Look at their roster. Where is the reduced payroll going to come from? About the only person on their team making any kind of money next year that it would make sense to move is Zobrist.

I am guessing here but I don't think the Rays trade Zobrist unless they are out of it at the deadline. I think that they think they have enough pitching to make a run for it in 2015.

I would be very hesitant to be the winning bidder on Zobrist's services as a free agent. (age concerns)

Yeah I don't really want Zobrist. I'd love to have a Zobrist type player on this team that is capable of getting on base at that kind of clip. But he is old and already trending down.

Yeah I don't really want Zobrist. I'd love to have a Zobrist type player on this team that is capable of getting on base at that kind of clip. But he is old and already trending down.

Zobrist was a fantasy favorite of mine until this past season. Having the ability to play several positions with decent offensive production, enhanced his fantasy value.

Archived