Should the O'S bring back Alejandro De Aza?

Diehard_O's_Fan

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not a very good fit to have De Aza in LF, Markakis in RF, and Lough on the bench. There is no role for Lough. I guess you could keep him around for insurance but as long as those two are healthy, Lough is nothing more than a PR.

I view Lough as a 4th outfielder and yes .... insurance. If he forces his way as a starter then so be it. I think Nick 1 and De Aza 2 make a fairly nice top of the order combo.

That's fine but even as a 4th outfielder it makes little sense to have your 4th outfielder be a lefthanded hitter when your LF and RF are also both LH hitters and your CF plays everyday. Lough would not be a defensive replacement for any of the outfielders even though he's the best defender. He's also not going to give them a breather against a tough LHP. He might occasionally PR for someone. That's why I say again, it's a bad fit to have all three on the team.

Nick generally hits LHP's ok. De Aza was ok prior to last year when he just fell off completely (but I prefer to platoon him probably with Pearce), but I agree it's a valid concern that we need another RHB that can play corner OF and probably DH to replace Cruz. Pearce can play LF/RF but I'm worried he might end up at first and I don't really want to see Young in the field.

I agree that having both De Aza and Lough on the 25 man is redundant, if Markakis signs. But De Aza provides good leverage against the prospect of losing Kakes. The team can take their time to upgrade corner OF without worrying about leaving a huge void there.

Pearce is perfectly suited for the structure of this team with LF/RF/1B all projected as lefties. Kind of like how Flaherty is perfectly suited with 2B/3B/SS all righties. DH is wide open, provided Cruz doesn't come back.

Nick generally hits LHP's ok. De Aza was ok prior to last year when he just fell off completely (but I prefer to platoon him probably with Pearce), but I agree it's a valid concern that we need another RHB that can play corner OF and probably DH to replace Cruz. Pearce can play LF/RF but I'm worried he might end up at first and I don't really want to see Young in the field.

Did someone say Nolan Reimold? Oh, no, no one did. Never mind.

I'd actually suggest platooning Nick too...especially if we have Pearce/Young or someone like him not in the everyday lineup to do it. Nick had a wRC+ of 93 vs LHP this year, 80 in 2013. OBP is good enough but absolutely no pop. He slugged .330 and .326 respectively.

Archived