Should the O'S bring back Alejandro De Aza?

Diehard_O's_Fan

As far as D'Aza - I'd say wait. Wait until other options dry up. On one hand, he's not going to break the bank, but on the other hand - players like him at his price aren't hard to get.

This is not even remotely true. Not even a little bit. De Aja has been worth ~8 fWAR over the past four seasons. Markakis has been worth ~6 over the same period of time. Yet we're talking about giving Markakis a contract that will likely be well over 20 million over multiple years, while people, such as yourself, are acting like paying 5-6 million for one year of De Aja is a stretch. "Players like him," i.e. players worth an average of 2+ WAR over the past four years, are extremely difficult to get at such a cheap price.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is not even remotely true. Not even a little bit. De Aja has been worth ~8 fWAR over the past four seasons. Markakis has been worth ~6 over the same period of time. Yet we're talking about giving Markakis a contract that will likely be well over 20 million over multiple years, while people, such as yourself, are acting like paying 5-6 million for one year of De Aja is a stretch. "Players like him," i.e. players worth an average of 2+ WAR over the past four years, are extremely difficult to get at such a cheap price.

This. I think you have to keep him and as I said before, you can do so with Markakis and/or Cruz if you really wanted to. I think the issue here is people are looking at the projected salary for De Aza with the mindset of 5 years ago. Salaries are skyrocketing (to bad that only applies to baseball and not the 'real' world, huh?)

BB-ref has him at 5.4 rWAR the last four years, with 5.0 of that coming in 2011-12. They have Markakis at 6.0, with 4.2 of that in 2011-12. I think Markakis is a better bet over the next few seasons. However, once money gets factored in, de Aza becomes a very viable option.

De Aza was worth 5 wins total in 2011 and 2012. And the 2011 "season" was 54 games/171 PAs. Since then, in two full seasons, he's been worth less than 1 rWAR total. His entire career, outside of 180 games in '11-12, has been worth 0.9 rWAR. Players who've averaged < 0.5 wins per season over the past two years are not hard to find for little money.

I wouldn't rule out De Aza as an option, but don't get caught in the musical chairs trap. There are a lot of ballplayers, the music doesn't stop until April, and we don't have to resign the one who's standing right next to us.

De Aza was worth 5 wins total in 2011 and 2012. And the 2011 "season" was 54 games/171 PAs. Since then, in two full seasons, he's been worth less than 1 rWAR total. His entire career, outside of 180 games in '11-12, has been worth 0.9 rWAR. Players who've averaged < 0.5 wins per season over the past two years are not hard to find for little money.

I wouldn't rule out De Aza as an option, but don't get caught in the musical chairs trap. There are a lot of ballplayers, the music doesn't stop until April, and we don't have to resign the one who's standing right next to us.

I really think De Aza was a case, where DD brought low.

If he continues to play well, he will have a role here, when he falters, then look for DD to move on.

I know this may be oversimplifying it, but I just think we approach Kakes with an offer knowing we have a player in De Aza that is not superior, but can be the short-term replacement. I assume Nick will take a reasonable offer, and Cruz will also be brought back. I actually have a lot of faith in Lough (Didnt he hit 337/389/570 (959) after June 1, albeit the smalll sample of 86 AB's?)

I think you shop De Aza and I think he can actually think he can bring back something more than just the cost savings of 5M (Maybe an A-ball SS to match with Marin over the next 3 years to see if either can replace Hardy at the ever difficult to fill SS position...)

I could see the Tigers, Mets, and Mariners interested for 1 year...

Not according to some on OH.

But, Melewski thinks he might be in the mix, if they run short of players.

I don't think anyone disagrees with that. He'll likely see some time if they get short on bodies. What I think most would say is that he certainly isn't in their plans for the opening day roster, or even as a significant piece of the team for 2015.

Archived