Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

Classic Birdland underrating Oriole or the team. How many times did you say the team was a .500 club last season and say all the players were terrible. Markakis is only underrated on here. In the league and among Orioles fans in general he is well respected.

You have to admit there has not been a whiff of any other team, including "a mystery team", in talks with Nick.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You have to admit there has not been a whiff of any other team, including "a mystery team", in talks with Nick.

Toronto, Mets, and a Yankee rumour. Only. At 4 year, 34 million everyone is saying, "Yep, The Orioles, at that they are good."

Toronto, Mets, and a Yankee rumour. Only. At 4 year, 34 million everyone is saying, "Yep, The Orioles, at that they are good."

I think those teams were speculated to be interested. I have not heard of anything close to ongoing talks.

Maybe there was a phone check in with the agent at some point.

Or they are just not that into him.

He's not the kind of player you target early in the winter. He's a known commodity. He's a good piece who won't be cheap, and he's not going to change anyone's playoff fortunes on his own. I'm certain if he's still a FA in a month he will have a lot more interest. Personally, I'd tell Nick I want him back, but budget restraints require me to wait until his market has been firmly established, and ask him for right of last refusal to beat his best offer. If that's insulting to him, I'd stay that course anyhow and hope he reconsiders when the time comes. Even with sentimentality, he's not the move I want the O's making this early in the offseason. We have other options at that position.

Classic Birdland underrating Oriole or the team. How many times did you say the team was a .500 club last season and say all the players were terrible. Markakis is only underrated on here. In the league and among Orioles fans in general he is well respected.

He basically has zero teams going after him, and in the last week he's had two of the bigger names when it comes to writing/discussing baseball, question if he is even a regular playing going forward. I'd say this board isn't too far out of the mainstream thought when it comes to Markakis.

Part of the discussion revolves around do we want Nick as a player and the other part revolves around money/strategy/draft pick/QO. I am happy to have him as a player on no more than a 3 year/33 million contract maybe with a fourth year mutual option and buyout at say another million. The longer this goes on, the more likely that Nick signs elsewhere, imho. But unless he was willing to negotiate only with me, then I would have put the QO in place to protect the Orioles interests. And I would put QOs on any player I wanted to retain until someone takes one. This is the way the system is designed and it would be foolish to not get a draft pick for Nick if he signs a deal elsewhere.

I think those teams were speculated to be interested. I have not heard of anything close to ongoing talks.

Maybe there was a phone check in with the agent at some point.

I haven't hear ongoing talks about Cruz either and didn't here any talks about the guys who signed already before they sign d. Pretty poor argument to say no one wants him but there is always one dumb GM out there who will pay. i think the consensus is Nick wants to stay in Baltimore and hasn't been seriously talking to other teams yet but I suppose as time goes by he will. What he eventually signs for is going to be mor than what you Markakis haters have putting forth.

I haven't hear ongoing talks about Cruz either and didn't here any talks about the guys who signed already before they sign d. Pretty poor argument to say no one wants him but there is always one dumb GM out there who will pay. i think the consensus is Nick wants to stay in Baltimore and hasn't been seriously talking to other teams yet but I suppose as time goes by he will. What he eventually signs for is going to be mor than what you Markakis haters have putting forth.

That's kind of the point of being a Markakis "hater." If we thought the O's would sign him at 4 m per, we would be Markakis lovers.

Archived