Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

I think DD didn't want to take a less than 50% chance that he'd be paying Markakis 16M this year. Compensatory picks are nice to have but let's not act like they are gold.

Furthermore, I think it's quite clear that DD has a line drawn in the sand of what he's willing to pay Markakis, with or without a pick attached. If it's true he offered 4/34 then 1/16M would have been very tempting for Markakis.

1. My assumptions were 10% chance of him accepting.

2. We are offering a minimum 4/40 deal.

Assuming the above, the 15.3 Q.O. should have been given.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FYI. The Markakis' are building a brand new house in Monkton.

I believe Nick has a second home in Georgia where he is from doesn't he? Monkton is fine...also home to AJ Burnett who, as we know, plays all over. It will not be a problem for Nick and his family. If there is a five year offer from the Yankees, Nick should take it, like right now. I think DD is very calculating and very consistent in his approach which is to determine what he believes to be the value of the individual player and also to assess what other plans would be available to improve the team if any free agent leaves the team. I do not think he budges very much from these determinations as BRob, Nelson and probably Nick are finding.

I believe Nick has a second home in Georgia where he is from doesn't he? Monkton is fine...also home to AJ Burnett who, as we know, plays all over. It will not be a problem for Nick and his family. If there is a five year offer from the Yankees, Nick should take it, like right now. I think DD is very calculating and very consistent in his approach which is to determine what he believes to be the value of the individual player and also to assess what other plans would be available to improve the team if any free agent leaves the team. I do not think he budges very much from these determinations as BRob, Nelson and probably Nick are finding.

Atlanta is an interesting entry since Markakis grew up in Woodstock, Ga., went to Young Harris College and has a home in Georgia (as he does in Maryland). The Braves traded right fielder Jason Heyward and are listening to offers for another top outfielder, Justin Upton, so there definitely is room for Markakis.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/24859035/markakis-market-braves-blue-jays-giants-os-among-those-in-mix

Excellent analysis. Hard to justify even a reasonably priced four year deal given the facts presented. I think Nick has caught two breaks from DD for his service...one, that he got a four year offer though apparently not at the dollars he would like and two, that he did not get QOd (although maybe this does say more about DD not minding too terribly much if Nick gets paid elsewhere and so made him a more attractive free agent without the QO.)

If we lose markakis how do we replace his bat? I am talking about left handed OBP. If we get Kemp he could somewhat replace his glove, but Kemp would really be replacing Cruz' bat. So if we lose Markakis, where do we find a left handed hitter that knows how to get on base to put near the top of our order? Anybody have any options in mind?

I apologize if this has been mentioned already. I only read the first few and last few pages of the thread.

If we lose markakis how do we replace his bat? I am talking about left handed OBP. If we get Kemp he could somewhat replace his glove, but Kemp would really be replacing Cruz' bat. So if we lose Markakis, where do we find a left handed hitter that knows how to get on base to put near the top of our order? Anybody have any options in mind?

Honestly, we wouldn't have one right now. DeAza or Lough would be our best bets, but they don't have the OBP of Markakis. At the same time though, they are both much better baserunners and can take extra bases a lot more than Markakis, so they could take advantage of their times when they do get on base better then Markakis so it may even out in the end.

I apologize if this has been mentioned already. I only read the first few and last few pages of the thread.

Well we didn't have DE Aza for most of last year. He's a LHB with some obp capability.

Excellent analysis. Hard to justify even a reasonably priced four year deal given the facts presented. I think Nick has caught two breaks from DD for his service...one, that he got a four year offer though apparently not at the dollars he would like and two, that he did not get QOd (although maybe this does say more about DD not minding too terribly much if Nick gets paid elsewhere and so made him a more attractive free agent without the QO.)

Is Buck being "Teagardened?"

While I agree with the overall analysis I am not sure it is fair to say that 2014 was one of his two worst offensive years. His OPS+ was slightly lower in 2011 and 2006, the reduced run scoring environment makes comparing slash line stats a dubious measuring tool.

About Nick Markakis numbers i will defend him in one area. No other team would use him as a leadoff hitter that killed most of his numbers.

Archived