Report: Bedard Seattle-Bound

Peace21

Fourteen for three or four if Payton (hopefully) is added is outstanding. If AM is successful with these three deals this would be something many of us have proposed over the years but never believed would happen. I have had years (at least 10?) where I mapped out at least four or five deals for this team every year. Everyone I would discuss this with would say "you can't be serious." No team does that many moves in an off season. My reply has always been....A good GM can make that number of moves if they are smart and aggressive. Are you listening AM? The comparison to Billy Beane always comes to mind. He knows when to move players that are near their peak and is constantly retooling/rebuilding his farm system. Spring Training is fast approaching and the excitement is building. As I said the other day.....If he pulls these deals off successfully his next big job and I mean really big job will involve moving Payton (if not in the Roberts deal), Gibbons, Mora, Huff and Ramon. Deleting these players in trades for younger players will drastically reduce payroll and make it easy for us to go after Tex in 2009.

Obtaining Khalil Greene the SS with San Diego who is looking to move back east closer to Butler, PA where he is from would be great. 2 or 3 players for Greene is what it would take to get him according to a San Diego reporter. He is not willing to sign an extension so he will be moved. Can the Orioles put together the best package? Yes! We can trade veterans and very good young prospects for him after obtaining all of these new players in these three deals. Did you know? 27 HRS, 97 RBI'S, 44 doubles and a .254 average. He will easily cover for Tejada offensively even though he hits for a lower average and he only had 11 errors in 153 games while Tejada had 15 errors in 124 games. Greene should be the fourth move. The fifth would be a toss up between Ramon and Mora unless they arepackaged in the same deal. Gibbons and Huff will be difficult but not impossible.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-padres-greene&prov=ap&type=lgns

Apparently Green is very close to a two year extension which would take him to Free Agency. Not sure he can be considered an option at this point.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently Green is very close to a two year extension which would take him to Free Agency. Not sure he can be considered an option at this point.

Greene already signed a 2-year $11 million offer. But it's not an extension like you think it is. He wasn't due for FA until then anyway, he just bought out his arbitration years, like most athletes I'm sure he just dreaded the idea of having to justify what you think you are worth to your boss and get degraded.

The key point of the whole situation is that he wouldn't sign for longer, even though SD has been trying to get him to since last season. He wants to play on the east coast in a hitters park. Bodes well for us if we can keep the seat warm until after 09. Which is ok, not like we will compete before then.

Greene would be eligible for free agency in 2 years anyway. The 2 year contract keeps him out of arbitration. I've read that he doesn't want to extend beyond 2 years with San Diego because he wants to play for an east coast team. How many east coast teams need a SS? He looks like a good fit for the Orioles to me! I like our chances of being able to extend his contract if we can get him.

Figured I'd put this here. It explains why the M's suddenly got really quiet after Bavasi and Jones mouthing off...

We have to remember something here. The Orioles threatened the Mariners, and even though there is no legal recourse whatsoever, they threatened to sick their legal team on the situation if any more information was leaked out into the media. So, the M’s have been as mum as a mute corps and the O’s have been denying any changes in the status all along.

They won’t confirm the physicals by Jones and Sherrill, and neither team will talk about the trade at all.

So what kind of information do you think the Sun, the Herald and the P-I are going to be able to round up?

If you guessed “anything but the actual truth,” you are probably right.

I can assure you that at least Jones, Sherrill and Bedard have each been asked to keep their mouths shut as well, and Tillman, Butler and Mickolio haven’t been told anything but that they are not to continue workouts in Peoria.

So if this is true Angelos or MacPhail threatened to sick the lawyers on the M's. I'd say that wouldn't exactly be the way to do business. Of course if I were the Mariners, I'd be scared of Russell H. Smouse too. He hasn't exactly lost a case for the O's yet...

http://prospectinsider.com/2008/02/01/erik-bedard-scouting-report/#comment-7799

Figured I'd put this here. It explains why the M's suddenly got really quiet after Bavasi and Jones mouthing off...

So if this is true Angelos or MacPhail threatened to sick the lawyers on the M's. I'd say that wouldn't exactly be the way to do business. Of course if I were the Mariners, I'd be scared of Russell H. Smouse too. He hasn't exactly lost a case for the O's yet...

http://prospectinsider.com/2008/02/01/erik-bedard-scouting-report/#comment-7799

I don't buy it. I think the Orioles wanted a rule clarification in terms of this to go along with a potential failed physical. Beyond that, I don't buy any legal action or anything. It's mcphail's way to say absolutely nothing, and when Bavasi basically spilled the beans to Jones without proper directions, it rubbed the Orioles the wrong way. Of course that gets put on the Orioles, but hey, who's counting.

Greene already signed a 2-year $11 million offer. But it's not an extension like you think it is. He wasn't due for FA until then anyway, he just bought out his arbitration years, like most athletes I'm sure he just dreaded the idea of having to justify what you think you are worth to your boss and get degraded.

The key point of the whole situation is that he wouldn't sign for longer, even though SD has been trying to get him to since last season. He wants to play on the east coast in a hitters park. Bodes well for us if we can keep the seat warm until after 09. Which is ok, not like we will compete before then.

Right team wrong player. The Orioles need to go after players who for whatever reason are blocked by a current starter who's pretty young. Josh Fields, Chase Headley... those are the types of players. Khalil ain't going anywhere.

Right team wrong player. The Orioles need to go after players who for whatever reason are blocked by a current starter who's pretty young. Josh Fields, Chase Headley... those are the types of players. Khalil ain't going anywhere.

I never said to go after him. I don't think they trade him unless they fall on their face and don't come close to competing, I said after 09, he's a good signing.

I never said to go after him. I don't think they trade him unless they fall on their face and don't come close to competing, I said after 09, he's a good signing.
After '09 he's a FA. We need young cheap prospects with a high upside and a high OBP as well. Green is no more what we want than BRob.

now we wouldn't be worried about any legal ramifications - there's no real point. I doubt the O's would have any type of case to begin with but even if they did - it wouldn't amount to much monetarily and they'd lose most of what they won in attorney fee's anyhow, lol.

All the O's did is threaten that if more leaks were made that they would just walk away from the trade table. All I can say is lucky for the O's I wasn't GM, lol...however if most of you guys were the GM/Owner the trade would have been quick also - just a bizarre state of events.

Archived