Delmon Young wants two year deal, Orioles offering him one year

xian4

Let's not forget Delmon had a good season for the Orioles in 2014. It so happens to have been better than his averages:

2014 - .302/.337/.442, 120 OPS+

prior - .282/.316/.423, 98 OPS+

If we knew for sure that he'd duplicate his '14 numbers, absolutely sign him up for two years. We don't know that.

(btw that's not arguing you Drungo, just emphasizing your statement)

Delmon had 6% of his career plate appearances last year. So you could and should weight his 2015 projection by something like (.94 * 98 OPS+) + (.06 * 120 OPS+) = 99 OPS+. I suppose you could weight his more recent seasons more heavily, but then you also need to account for the fact he's 29 and probably past peak.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest rochester
Burnett or Arroyo would have been worse.

As I said, it is not about performance and more about doing "something". My point is that he does know what the fanbase is thinking (the below from Roch's column provides some evidence albeit not personally quoted), and I would assume that there is some agreement that the fanbase, after the Balfour incident, JJohnson, BRob, etc., were gnashing their teeth that something be done.

My whole point has nothing to do with performance - it seemed out of character for that type of contract - DD seems in control and is a couple steps ahead (i.e., JJohnson). Bottom line is that Ubaldo didn't seem like a Plan A, B or C (ok maybe C) and outside of his usual methodical genius.

Fans reacted harshly to the Orioles' 2012 flirtation with Swisher. Maybe it was a Yankee thing. Maybe it was a personality thing. Maybe it was a little from Column A and a little from Column B. Either way, Duquette quickly learned that signing Swisher wouldn't have been a popular move.

edit: P.S. I like Ubaldo and believe he showed an incredible amount of class in his situation this year. Regardless of how he felt he maintained a team attitude in public - that could have went south quickly. Besides the obvious, I really hope he gets it together.

Depends completely on the MASN outcome in my mind.

I think the Orioles already avoided the disaster scenario with MASN. I honestly think the legal fees they are spending to contest the outcome may be more money than whatever they might save in rights fees if they convince the court to order a new arbitration.

No Delmon, no '14 division title.

That's over replacement too. He was taking at bats away from Flaherty and Lough! There outta be a handicap for that.

I have another Delmon comment too. He played hard. Those little clouds of dust were Delmon taking extra bases on negligent fielders.

That's over replacement too. He was taking at bats away from Flaherty and Lough! There outta be a handicap for that.

I have another Delmon comment too. He played hard. Those little clouds of dust were Delmon taking extra bases on negligent fielders.

For a big portion of the season, he was taking at bats away from Steve Pearce. Which wasn't a good thing if you ask me. In fact, that's why the Orioles almost lost Pearce before Chris Davis saved them from themselves. Delmon Young was not a very important piece of the team in 2014. Certainly not anywhere near a significant factor in the division title. David Lough was worth a full win more.

He had a big hit in the playoffs and did well in a platoon DH/pinch hitter role. I'm happy about it. However, in the end that isn't worth all that much.

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this instead of starting a new Delmon Young thread.

Do we have LF platoon in the making?

Delmon Young crushed left handed pitching. He will be 30 this year. Below average D.

de Aza hits right handed pitching pretty well. 31 this year. Solid corner OF.

David Lough actually hit RHP pretty well (.749 OPS 2014) and will be 29 years old. High level defender at 3 positions.

None of them are definitely platoon players, they can each play LF or RF, and Lough can play CF. Are these three a viable LF/DH/4th OF combination? The 4th guy getting DH at bats is still up in the air. Maybe its Pearce?

No, they will not provide the power we got from Cruz, but I don't see anyone who will replace that production.

Archived