Roch: Interesting stuff from Buck on Machado, Wieters, and Pearce

mdbdotcom

Link

Highlights:

- Machado has now played in the majors long enough that he should be okay with covering SS if Hardy is down. It's easier to find a replacement at 3B than SS

- Will take a look at Pearce at 3B in spring training

- Will plan for ST as though Manny and Wieters won't be ready, but hoping they will

Does stating that they'll work Pearce out at 3B have any impact on their plans with Davis? Or does it mean, if they bring back Nick, they are looking at Pearce as a utility guy: DH, 1B, 3B, LF, RF?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think they were always looking at Pearce that way, anyway.

I just wonder why they played Davis at 3rd instead of Pearce last season. And then this season they are looking at Pearce if Manny is out.

I don't think Pearce has worked out at 1B since with the Pirates, where he did fill in a few times. There was an interview with Buck before the playoffs in which he described Pearce as an outfielder who turned out to play 1B pretty well. It was as though he didn't know that Pearce came up as a 1B.

It will be interesting to see how he does there. Certainly wouldn't hurt his value if he can play there.

On another note. If Manny becomes the backup SS, is Flaherty less of a sure thing to make the team?

Link

Highlights:

- Machado has now played in the majors long enough that he should be okay with covering SS if Hardy is down. It's easier to find a replacement at 3B than SS

- Will take a look at Pearce at 3B in spring training

- Will plan for ST as though Manny and Wieters won't be ready, but hoping they will

My take is that this might not bode well for Flaherty.

I don't think Pearce has worked out at 3B since with the Pirates, where he did fill in a few times. There was an interview with Buck before the playoffs in which he described Pearce as an outfielder who turned out to play 1B pretty well. It was as though he didn't know that Pearce came up as a 1B.

It will be interesting to see how he does there. Certainly wouldn't hurt his value if he can play there.

On another note. If Manny becomes the backup SS, is Flaherty less of a sure thing to make the team?

There. FTFY.

My take is that this might not bode well for Flaherty.

Nah. Your "back up" at any position can't just be a starter somewhere else on the field. They'll need a bench guy that can play SS legitimately, and Buck in the article called out Flaherty as the only guy who can do it.

I just wonder why they played Davis at 3rd instead of Pearce last season. And then this season they are looking at Pearce if Manny is out.

I read it as trying Pearce in addition to Davis. So either could jump over there.

And that is totally an actual skill! :rolleyes:

Pleased to see that they are being reasonable about letting Manny play Short if needed.

Some folks were overly confident that would never happen.

I am still confident that it won't. But Buck says it might. Now that we know that Manny will never be an Oriole full time short stop maybe the occasional game there won't cause confusion. Or something. And I say never. Unless Manny decides to sign an extension.

I am still confident that it won't. But Buck says it might. Now that we know that Manny will never be an Oriole full time short stop maybe the occasional game there won't cause confusion. Or something.

Seems weird they'd let him try after they sign Hardy to the extension.

Seems weird they'd let him try after they sign Hardy to the extension.
Or now that they are not having those types of concerns, the idea of him filling in in an emergency does not have the same sting. Or maybe he has been around long enough to be a bit of a utility man if need be. I guess it really means that roster construction won't be influenced by lack of an appropriate short stop back up.

Archived