Manny Machado says Thank You Mariners.

Greg

Still, he was the iron man until the end of 2013. Then two gruelling DL stints since then. I love the way the kid plays ball but still don't know whether he's Hall Of Fame or Hall Of Jeffrey Hammonds material. I sincerely hope the former.

Hammonds debuted in his age 22 season. Manny will be in his four season at 22. Manny has already accumulated more rWAR then Hammonds did in his 13 seasons.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hammonds debuted in his age 22 season. Manny will be in his four season at 22. Manny has already accumulated more rWAR then Hammonds did in his 13 seasons.

I think you know what I mean, though. This isn't an age-related issue as much as someone who may simply be injury prone. If my Santeria rituals work, however, then Manny's scar tissue will herald the dawn of a new iron age.

I think you know what I mean, though. This isn't an age-related issue as much as someone who may simply be injury prone. If my Santeria rituals work, however, then Manny's scar tissue will herald the dawn of a new iron age.

Just saying that Manny has already accomplished more in three years then Jeffrey did in his whole career.

Tools or not Manny is a far superior ball player.

The O's will get good value out of the rest of his time here.

I agree. Manny, I think, has (subtly) indicated that he is in it for the money and fame. I don't doubt his work ethic and desire to win. What concerns me is that A-Rod is his mentor and idol. Manny comes across as "young and foolish". I don't hold out any hope that the O's will sign him to a long-term contract. Enjoy him while he is here. If he comes back healthy and produces the stats that are expected of him--then he goes to the highest bidder 3 years from now. That's just how big-league base ball operates in the 21st century...

I think Manny will be the First 100m Contract in Orioles History.

What makes you so sure the O's will even sign Manny. If the Redsox or yankees or a team with money gets involved, the way we don't spend money, he'll probably be gone.

I agree. Manny, I think, has (subtly) indicated that he is in it for the money and fame. I don't doubt his work ethic and desire to win. What concerns me is that A-Rod is his mentor and idol. Manny comes across as "young and foolish". I don't hold out any hope that the O's will sign him to a long-term contract. Enjoy him while he is here. If he comes back healthy and produces the stats that are expected of him--then he goes to the highest bidder 3 years from now. That's just how big-league base ball operates in the 21st century...

Four years from now. He only has 2+ years of major league service. When he leaves, he will be a very wealthy 26 year old.

How many people are going to say this? It's been stated many times that he played 156 games in 2013. That's a full season.

Kids these days. There are 162 games in a season and Manny slacked off for six of them. Back in my day Willie Mays threw a game just so the season would end in a tie and they had to play a 3-game tiebreaker series so he could appear in 165 games in a season. (Disclaimer: most of what I just wrote is in no way true, although the Dodgers' Maury Wills did appear in 165 games in the 1962 season.)

I think it is foolish to try to discern someone's mental state and motivations from the public portion of his 21-year-old persona.

And ARod had Cal jr as his mentor and idol.

So is Cal to blame for how ARod turned out?

I haven't seen numbers yet but it is probably backloaded in such a way as to not impede them in the near term.

I saw somewhere that they were now trying to trade for their right handed power. I thought I heard that Cruz was not getting any bites at his numbers. Again.

Archived