Manny Machado says Thank You Mariners.

Greg

I think they did. That is why he got his contract renewed to his displeasure last season.

The contract he did get didn't help much.

?I?d love to be an Oriole forever. I love the organization, I love the fans here. I love everything about this, and putting the uniform on every day,? said Machado, who hit .283 with 14 home runs, 71 RBIs and a league-leading 51 doubles in 156 games in his first full major league season. ?I just want to be treated fairly. That?s it.?

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2014-03-10/sports/bal-orioles-manny-machado-says-2014-contract-disappointing-but-you-just-have-to-go-out-and-play-20140310_1_manny-machado-platinum-glove-award-arbitration

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That will be hard to do when that contract won't be with the Orioles.

I don't know. Both sides have an incentive due to his knees. He has incentive to get some guaranteed money before hitting free agency. O's have an incentive to get him for extended years below market value. I could see them agreeing to an Adam Jones-type deal before he becomes a free agent.

I don't know. Both sides have an incentive due to his knees. He has incentive to get some guaranteed money before hitting free agency. O's have an incentive to get him for extended years below market value. I could see them agreeing to an Adam Jones-type deal before he becomes a free agent.

He could use some dough. He's getting married.

He could use some dough. He's getting married.

I was gonna buy him something off his registry. If and when Manny leaves the organization, I will lock myself in a dark room forever.

Isn't his situation the same as Seagers? FA after '17? I'd say this contract is only the starting point of an extension conversation.

FWIW, he moved outta Silo Point, but I don't know if he did the same last offseason. He's getting married in Fla, so I don't know if his wife is just gonna live there. I could see him joining John Carlo.

I was gonna buy him something off his registry. If and when Manny leaves the organization, I will lock myself in a dark room forever.

Isn't his situation the same as Seagers? FA after '17? I'd say this contract is only the starting point of an extension conversation.

FWIW, he moved outta Silo Point, but I don't know if he did the same last offseason. He's getting married in Fla, so I don't know if his wife is just gonna live there. I could see him joining John Carlo.

For what team?

I should probably fact check before throwing all this out there, but I'm on my phone. Isn't his opt out after six years? For Miami, methinks.

I don't see the Marlins writing the check needed to land Manny.

I think there is a better chance that Stanton is gone when Manny hits FA then the Marlins signing him.

I agree, I don't think he extends here.

I would have put an offer sheet in front of him after his first knee surgery.

I think its a little early to be concerned about it.

IF Manny comes back and is the Manny we saw in the second half of last year then I think the O's sit down and offer to make him the richest Oriole in history.

He is at the earliest Arbitration eligible in 2016 and FA eligible in 2019. If he shows he is healthy then I think next offseason is the time to strike. Something along the lines of 6-7 years 120-140 million.

That may sound like a contract that many think the O's will never do but Manny is a unique case. Young, dynamic and could be the face of the franchise for those 6-7 years. The O's also have very little salary obligation moving forward from 2016 so its not like the money is will not be there. I think that financial flexibility at this point is a big plus for the O's getting him inked if they want to.

From Manny's perspective that kind of deal gives him financial security and the potential to cash in big time one more time in his career at an age when he can still get a huge deal if his production warrants it.

If Manny balks then you look at spending the future money elsewhere and take your time to cash in on him via trade sometime in 2016 or 2017 (more likely).

If Manny balks then you look at spending the future money elsewhere and take your time to cash in on him via trade sometime in 2016 or 2017 (more likely).

Agreed, but I fully expect the O's to still be a contending ball club by then, and they aren't going to move their most valuable piece in a deal if they're contending. If he's as good as we're hoping, I just don't see it happening. I'm all for the terms of your suggested contract.

Archived