Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because Angelos in his insatiable desire to win the deal, has overplayed his hand and will wind up with nothing but a dis-gruntled, less effective GM.

Not to mention that the O's have no one running the show during a critical off-season.

I'll say it again it took the Ravens 48 hours to replace their OC, and another 24 to replace their QB coach.

Anyone want to wager against my premise that the O's will either have a shell of DD, or an acting GM in place of DD for the rest of this baseball season?

If Dan stays, it's not because Angelos overplayed his hand, but because he values DD more than the Rogers group does. And given PA's challenges in finding GM's he trusts in the past, that is not an obvious overvaluation. Furthermore, GM's change teams during their careers all the time, and work at doing the best job they can for whatever team they are currently employed by. DD will do the same if he stays or if he goes, because it's in his own professional interests as well as those of his team.

If he ends up staying, he will come out sometime soon with a statement along the following lines: "I want to apologize to all the fans for how long it's taken to resolve this situation. I received an inappropriate solicitation for the Toronto CEO position, before proper contacts had been made with the Orioles' President. Despite the inappropriateness of the contact, I'd be lying if I said that I was not interested in attaining a CEO position, the ultimate career goal for all of us in the sports General Management business. Thus, I asked Mr. Angelos if he wouldn't, as a personal favor to me, consider the possibility of allowing me to interview for the Toronto position in exchange for suitable compensation. I take the very high standard he set for suitable compensation as a genuine expression of his appreciation for the work I've done for the Orioles, and I'm as grateful for that incredible support as I am for his openness to consider the possibility. Now that the situation is resolved, I am committed to continue doing my utmost to keep the Orioles in a strong competitive position throughout my tenure in Baltimore, and to build a perennial post-season contender. I'm eager to get back to work without the distraction this entire situation has created."

Why would he make such a statement? Because he really would have no reasonable alternative.

And knew exactly what to do

He saw the witch's boat attack

And as the boy was fighting back

He called his rescue racer crew

As often they'd rehearsed

And off to save the boy they flew

But who would get there first?

But now the boy had washed ashore.

Ironically enough, the guy (Paul Beeston) that DD would have replaced (and is supposedly being kept on for another year) isn't saying anything either. From a fundraising dinner in Vancouver today (Anthopolous was supposed to be there too but cancelled at the last minute):

When Matt Sekeres of TSN 1040 asked him to go on air live from the station?s makeshift location at the hotel, Beeston said: ?I know damn well what you want to ask me and the answer is no.?

Beeston had previously been mingling throughout the pre-luncheon beer and wine session. Off in a corner, he told me: ?For having the reputation of being a big mouth, I?m not saying much. I?m not here to talk about what is or what isn?t happening in Toronto. I?m here to see my friend of 40 years, Jake Kerr, and talk about our affiliation with the Vancouver Canadians. I?m not commenting on anything else. If I?m to become a free agent, so be it. That?s all I?m saying.?

The plot thickens......

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Sport+Beeston+refuses+discuss+future+with+Blue+Jays/10697838/story.html

Ironically enough, the guy (Paul Beeston) that DD would have replaced (and is supposedly being kept on for another year) isn't saying anything either. From a fundraising dinner in Vancouver today (Anthopolous was supposed to be there too but cancelled at the last minute):

When Matt Sekeres of TSN 1040 asked him to go on air live from the station?s makeshift location at the hotel, Beeston said: ?I know damn well what you want to ask me and the answer is no.?

Beeston had previously been mingling throughout the pre-luncheon beer and wine session. Off in a corner, he told me: ?For having the reputation of being a big mouth, I?m not saying much. I?m not here to talk about what is or what isn?t happening in Toronto. I?m here to see my friend of 40 years, Jake Kerr, and talk about our affiliation with the Vancouver Canadians. I?m not commenting on anything else. If I?m to become a free agent, so be it. That?s all I?m saying.?

The plot thickens......

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Sport+Beeston+refuses+discuss+future+with+Blue+Jays/10697838/story.html

The Blue Jays and DD look really awful in this. Guys like Rosenthal dont get it but the baseball world does. Lot of damage to both of them. DD has made himself unhirable in baseball after this and Rodgers uas made himself a villian.

Archived