Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A frightening thought just occurred to me so I thought I'd go ahead and share it with y'all...

What if this whole saga just serves to remind Peter how much he enjoyed being directly involved in the day-to-day operations of the ballclub...?

You're welcome :P

Or if Baltimore had an opportunity to take Hoffman but pushed for more and more until Toronto walked away?

Why? Is Dan going to quit to go back to his amateur baseball academy?

Of course not but you can't have a front office work seamlessly when there are seams. And by seams I mean beef with one another. I'm no expert on human relations (otherwise why would I spend so much time on an online forum?!) but if someone is trying to jump ship at first scent of opportunity then how can positivity come from the mistrust that is an inevitable manifestation?

Guest rochester
I think you read that wrong and do not take into consideration the great job he did in Boston and the flame out that he did when the new owners ousted him on the cusp of victory.

you are right.. I'm letting my really ticked-off-ness get the best of me...

He sure did and that seemed to work out for us.

Man, I miss A.M. Let's not forget three of the big trades he made and what we got:

Traded:

Erik Bedard

Koji Uehara

Hoey

Jacobson

Received:

Adam Jones

Chris Tillman

JJ Hardy

Chris Davis

Tommy Hunter

(and Brenan Harris)

I bet he would get an extra piece or two out of TOR.

Nope. That's not a nightmare. Andy told me you always need extra pieces.

Well, that's conflating issues. If your stance is "nope" then the reason is "When the package exceeds DD's value Baltimore will pull the trigger, and if it doesn't we get to keep the most valuable asset." That's a fine stance to take and I admire your belief that Baltimore would not let the desire for "more" to lead to a missed opportunity. That's never happened with this org...:eek::)

Well, that's conflating issues. If your stance is "nope" then the reason is "When the package exceeds DD's value Baltimore will pull the trigger, and if it doesn't we get to keep the most valuable asset." That's a fine stance to take and I admire your belief that Baltimore would not let the desire for "more" to lead to a missed opportunity. That's never happened with this org...:eek::)

Not at all. This organization has missed many opportunities. I just think it is fine to keep Dan. And if Toronto does not want him enough. Then oh, well. That is my stance. And then we still get to try to punish Toronto. So everyone wins that way. Kenny Williams won't lie in a deposition either. Randy Levine either.

See, if Toronto does not make peace, we all know they did tamper.

I keep reading things like "we have the Jays by the balls"...

Do we really? We file tampering charges and MLB probably does little and we are stuck with a GM that doesn't want to be here, yes, quite the victory...

This is the second time you've said this. The reason we have Toronto by the balls is because DD signed a contract. If Big Peter decides to hold DD to it there is nothing ANYONE can do. That is why we have them.

The tampering allegations are just gravy on top. Enhancing our bargaining power, not creating it.

I found this particularly embarrassing, ha.

"Duquette was out of MLB between being let go by the Bosox in 2002 and finally being hired by the Orioles, ahead of Jays? current assistant GM Tony LaCava. Fact is, he had been available for anyone to hire, including the Jays ? attending every winter meetings in that time as a job seeker, usually sitting alone in hallways and lobbies as disinterested execs passed by."

The bolded part isn't even true. Duquette was hired after LaCava turned us down.

I've totally changed my opinion on DD leaving. With MLB's involvement in this, I say unless we get a haul, make DD stick it out. Take away all of his power but leave him with his salary and title for 4 years. Heck put Blue Jay's fatheads up all over his office. Only speak to him in French. You know, be really mature about it. #benedictarnold

Apologies if this has been suggested, but why not try getting the Commissioner involved and have this arbitrated? While I'm not sure I care for how Angelos handles things, he's right that Duq is under contract, and Toronto almost certainly has unfairly tampered with him - which has put the O's in a somewhat unfair position. And Toronto apparently isn't budging. Meanwhile, this is hampering the O's and could turn into a much uglier situation.

Archived