Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
His comments make it clear that he would like to investigate the Toronto opportunity but will honor his contract. I don't think that should impact his job performance in the very near term but if the O's stood in the way of him taking a better position at a significant increase in pay I would expect him to be pretty disgruntled down the road.

O's should let him interview and deal with the consequences

I don't think Dan's comments are clear at all. I think they are purposefully vague but respectful to his current position.

Outside of DD, our list of candidates for GM when DD was hired consisted of folks contractually tied to other organizations. Going scorched earth on everything because of the MASN dispute strikes me as counter productive, perhaps even self inflicted cuts. It's going to be fun staffing our organization with folks working for ESPN.

Dipoto wasn't. Hey, it's ok that we disagree, you just won't change my mind. I not the type to talk after someone has bloodied my mouth.

I don't think Dan's comments are clear at all. I think they are purposely vague but respectful to his current position.

I think so as to. I am certain he would like the money, position and prestige that our rescue and his great work have put him in a position to be considered for. When this does all go down, the minority candidate will have to be interviewed of course as well.

Guest rochester

I have no problem with DD being interested in a better opportunity. I am in total disagreement with him not being clear that he will not be pursuing the position. I won't go as far as saying this has all been handled in bad faith, because I do believe DD will still be a loyal employee, but the timing of this and it going public has to hurt the team. I have been in the same position and would go out of my way to deflect it as a courtesy to my current employer.

If he becomes a "cancer" I would even consider sending him home and paying him. It's funny how some think he can have his cake and eat it to - I am sure that he was ecstatic when he received a long term contract that provided some security for him and his family, but he, among many others, handled this very badly IMO. Sorry, I am totally behind PA on this one - he is loyal to a fault with those that are loyal... this could get very interesting... Of course, I am such an a** that I would be working on Plan B with Buck (replacement, etc.) and make a decision when in place. It sounds like sour grapes but DD's intentions are not clear - it is good business.

I have no problem with DD being interested in a better opportunity. I am in total disagreement with him not being clear that he will not be pursuing the position. I won't go as far as saying this has all been handled in bad faith, because I do believe DD will still be a loyal employee, but the timing of this and it going public has to hurt the team. I have been in the same position and would go out of my way to deflect it as a courtesy to my current employer.

If he becomes a "cancer" I would even consider sending him home and paying him. It's funny how some think he can have his cake and eat it to - I am sure that he was ecstatic when he received a long term contract that provided some security for him and his family, but he, among many others, handled this very badly IMO. Sorry, I am totally behind PA on this one - he is loyal to a fault with those that are loyal... this could get very interesting... Of course, I am such an a** that I would be working on Plan B with Buck (replacement, etc.) and make a decision when in place. It sounds like sour grapes but DD's intentions are not clear - it is good business.

They don't send them home. The give them a new office at the other end of the warehouse. Sometimes on a different floor if I remember correctly.

Yep, I strongly disagree with the Jays contacting Dan at this crucial time of the offseason… as well as think DD handled this poorly. He could at least be a little more respectful of the organization who gave him a second chance at a career.

Olney only writes about 2 paragraphs on this. Here's the meatiest part:

"this situation has legs. There are folks in Major League Baseball who want the Orioles to allow Duquette to go to the Blue Jays, given his past work in Canada as the general manager of the Montreal Expos."

Olney then goes on to say that Angelos is a tough negotiator and will demand high compensation and if Toronto is willing to meet the price, DD could go.

To me, there's nothing new here. "Folks in Major League Baseball" could not be more vague. Does Olney mean 'Folks in Toronto'? Does he mean Selig?

Either way, I don't see DD being allowed to leave by Angelos, no matter what Toronto offers. I know that kind of illogical or foolish, but that's what I think.

As you stated, this does not say what some think it does. Beeston was in the MLB office for a long time.

ESPN has never had issue with posting snippets from insider pieces, as long as you don't post articles wholesale and provide a link to the work. But whatever, boss.

This is newsworthy only because I think most people, myself included, assumed this issue was dead in the water, at least for this year, because of a couple reports about Beeston staying on another year at least.

Olney saying "In spite of that declarative statement, however, this situation has legs" and stating that MLB is pushing for a deal suggests otherwise.

If they don't mind the insider stuff being shared then I don't. I figured they put it behind a paywall for a reason. My bad.

Archived