Ryan Lavarnway ?

Greg

* The Los Angeles Dodgers designated catcher-first baseman Ryan Lavarnway for assignment last week. They had just picked him up off of waivers from the Boston Red Sox but needed to make room on their roster.

I was told the Orioles made a claim for him when the Red Sox waived the 27-year-old right-handed hitter, but the Dodgers are just ahead of the Orioles on the waiver order. With one spot open on their 40-man roster, I wouldn?t be surprised if executive vice president Dan Duquette makes a claim again.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-some-orioles-musings-lavarnway-rasmus-viciedo-arod-20141215-story.html?track=rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

How could LAD be ahead of BAL in the waiver order when the waiving team is in the AL?

I thought the order went weakest to strongest within the same league, and then weakest to strongest in the opposite league.

No clue it might change in the off-season.

Ryan Lavarnway - 1B - Cubs

Cubs claimed 1B/C Ryan Lavarnway off waivers from the Dodgers.

Lavarnway had been claimed by the Dodgers earlier this month before being designated for assignment a week later for the second time this offseason. The 27-year-old had an injury-shortened 2014 season and isn't really a prospect anymore but is probably worth a flier. It remains to be seen how he'll fit in with the Cubs, but he makes the most sense as a third catcher/pinch-hitter.

Related: Dodgers

Thank you Cubs.

* The Los Angeles Dodgers designated catcher-first baseman Ryan Lavarnway for assignment last week. They had just picked him up off of waivers from the Boston Red Sox but needed to make room on their roster.

I was told the Orioles made a claim for him when the Red Sox waived the 27-year-old right-handed hitter, but the Dodgers are just ahead of the Orioles on the waiver order. With one spot open on their 40-man roster, I wouldn?t be surprised if executive vice president Dan Duquette makes a claim again.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-some-orioles-musings-lavarnway-rasmus-viciedo-arod-20141215-story.html?track=rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Maybe Quintin. Certainly not the other two.
The Sun has been money this off-season so far.

Good call.

Is there any merit to thinking the Orioles could start Wieters at 1B and he and Davis swap at DH occasionally?

It would make sense if they are considering Pearce/DeAza for corner outfield and using Joseph/Lavarnway for platoon catching.

I guess I'm just overly concerned we have a glaring DH/RF hole.

Archived