Neil Walker

weams

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/105863514/could-signing-jo-hung-kang-impact-neil-walkers-future-with-pirates?adbid=553370613838921728&adbpl=tw&adbpr=18479513&partnerId=as_mlb_20150109_38496167

As a Super Two player, Walker's remaining arbitration leverage will put his salary in eight figures even before he reaches free agency. Such projections make it extremely challenging to agree on a long-term extension.

I don't see Pittsburgh trading him. He's a Pittsburgh native as well as a fan favorite. They're trying to compete this year, they can't gamble that Kang is going to be a good enough major leaguer to hold down second when there are major questions about both his defense and ability to hit for average. They should even be able to splurge a bit and sign him to a reasonable extension.

I don't see Pittsburgh trading him. He's a Pittsburgh native as well as a fan favorite. They're trying to compete this year, they can't gamble that Kang is going to be a good enough major leaguer to hold down second when there are major questions about both his defense and ability to hit for average. They should even be able to splurge a bit and sign him to a reasonable extension.

Money, Money, Money, Money. Money.

An upgrade at 2B is appealing. Schoop isn't likely to become a whole lot, it could make sense to keep him at AAA to work on his offense and maybe some 3B and see if he could make it as a utility player. If the Pirates would do Gonzalez for Walker I'd do it in a heartbeat. It seems fair to me but I tend to over value current O's players.

An upgrade at 2B is appealing. Schoop isn't likely to become a whole lot, it could make sense to keep him at AAA to work on his offense and maybe some 3B and see if he could make it as a utility player. If the Pirates would do Gonzalez for Walker I'd do it in a heartbeat. It seems fair to me but I tend to over value current O's players.

It is money and control loaded in Pittsburgh's favor.

It is money and control loaded in Pittsburgh's favor.

Gonzalez gets it done but he doesn't seem to be highly regarded. His FIP each year has been in the mid to high 4 and steamer projects him to have almost a 5.00 FIP next year. I don't know how other team officials view him though.

Archived