@ Duke 2/13

EddieO's21

It is now about taking this team to a new level. The terps have been playing well beating GT, BC, UVA and NC State but obviously these teams are no Duke.

Md always plays the Dookies tough at Cameron and I expect the same tonight. There are not many teams who can say they beat a number 1 and number 2 seed both on the ROAD! This game is crucial, and if UMD somehow pulls out the upset, I can see them vaulting to a 4 or even 3 seed in the tourney if they play solid the rest of the year.

It has been a while since I've been so nervous for a game but a few thoughts,

Vasquez- He is the key to this team. He really needs to keep his cool and limit his turnover. His productivity goes way up when he surveys the floor in the halfcourt (15 assists). A double double might be needed to beat this Duke team tonight. It seems as Greivis goes, so does MD.

Gist- He needs a tough every time down the floor. No one has exploited their small size this season. He needs to be our leading scorer tonight. Make something happen even off the dribble, but he should be the focus of the offense.

Osby- REBOUND, REBOUND, REBOUND...he should get 20 against this team. This stat will be crucial, Duke kills on second chance points

Hayes- Needs to be our spot up man and have a hot touch tonight. When Gist starts seeing the double teams, Hayes will most likely have some open looks. He needs to be on point to keep them honest

Milbourne- He has looked good at times from deep and in his driving ability. He may need to play a bigger rile handling the ball tonight. I see him needing to drain a couple big shots down the stretch. If he plays well it will be very tough for Duke to combat.

Tucker- Keep the fire going. When he gets his minutes he usually plays half way decent. 8-10 points off the bench tonight would be huge

Neal- Going to really need to get some good mop up time. I hate when he's in but he will have to rebound when Osby is out

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just like the first game, I think the big matchup is Vasquez and Paulus. Both can be great, and both can be terrible. Paulus has been more consistent this year, but Vasquez at his best is better than Paulus at his best.

Gist needs to continue to dominate, and a big performance from Boom would help.

Somebody needs to slow down Nelson and we need to stop Henderson from having a big game.

If Gist, Vasquez, and Osby outplay Nelson, Henderson, and Paulus, then I think we win. If not, we lose.

I think defensively Maryland has to focus on limiting Nelson, because I think if you slow him down, you slow Duke down. Their other players are good - but complimentary type players at this point, imo. I'd be tempted to play Milbourne on him, because his length could really bother him - but Nelson might be too quick and crafty for him. I don't think Hayes can handle him, and the Terps need Vasquez to focus his energy on offense. Tucker might end up being the guy.

Offensively, pound it inside - just like they did in the first half of the game last time. Get their great frosh in early foul trouble.

Certainly should be interesting to watch. Despite what SG says, we outplayed Duke pretty well in the first half at Comcast. Of course, they outplayed us a lot more in the second half.

We have to do better defensively on the perimeter. We couldn't stop their penetration in the second half. Hopefully Hayes is fully recovered from his ankle injury at this point. Of course, hopefully Gerald Henderson won't hit pretty much every shot he takes this time around.

We also have to make sure Gist and Osby dictate inside. If Osby can't go hard the whole time, he needs to get some rest in the first half so he doesn't disappear in the 2nd like the first game.

I think MD has as good a shot as anyone of beating Duke at Duke, but -- I can't call it tonight. Duke 85, MD 77.

Duke is a 12 point favorite tonight..

In Maryland's last four trips to Cameron, Duke has been favored by 7 (MD won by 8), 13 (Duke won by 24), 12.5 (MD won by 9), and 13.5 (Duke won by 23).

Hayes is moving better latterally, and will not be exposed as much on defense as he was the first game…

Bowie and Tucker will get extended mts providing perimeter defense…..

MD turned it over 22 times the last game… if they can reduce that to 15-17, they will be in great shape.

I'd like the turnover count even less than that, cut it in half to about 10-12 turnovers. Duke does not need any extra opportunities with the ball.

Zoubek got a few minutes of action against BC and has been practicing...Be nice if he can get in there, just to disrupt things and have him big body down low even if it is just for 10 minutes.
Yeah him stealing some fouls from Singler and Thomas could be big, although I don't think anybody inside for Duke can stop either Gist or Osby, or challenge them on the inside. Singler is a good player, but he's more of a face to the basket guy than a back to the basket guy, and isn't as likely to get either Gist or Osby into foul trouble.

A lot of things have to go right for Maryland to win, but I think they matchup well with Duke. We're athletic enough to stick with Duke (although I don't wanna run too much) and have a clear advantage inside. If Duke shoots lights out, it'll be real tough, but if they have another off night like the last game, it'll be very, very close.

Yeah him stealing some fouls from Singler and Thomas could be big, although I don't think anybody inside for Duke can stop either Gist or Osby, or challenge them on the inside. Singler is a good player, but he's more of a face to the basket guy than a back to the basket guy, and isn't as likely to get either Gist or Osby into foul trouble.

A lot of things have to go right for Maryland to win, but I think they matchup well with Duke. We're athletic enough to stick with Duke (although I don't wanna run too much) and have a clear advantage inside. If Duke shoots lights out, it'll be real tough, but if they have another off night like the last game, it'll be very, very close.

The first game proved that MD can't guard Henderson or Nelson.

They played great in the first game, but it doesn't prove Maryland can't guard them, just that they didn't do a good job of it the last time.

MD doesn't have anyone who likely will be able to stay with them. Now, as a team they can do better guarding them but that will likely open up other players.

Just as Duke doesn't have anyone for Osby and Gist...But it is why i want Zoubek in there some tonight...Just to be a presence.

MD doesn't have anyone who likely will be able to stay with them. Now, as a team they can do better guarding them but that will likely open up other players.

Just as Duke doesn't have anyone for Osby and Gist...But it is why i want Zoubek in there some tonight...Just to be a presence.

I do think we'd be hard pressed to guard Nelson, just slowing him down would be good. I think we can stop Henderson though. I think Milbourne is a pretty good physical matchup with Henderson, although if Duke goes small and Gist has to match up with him, he'll have trouble on the outside.

Archived