It's going to be fun to watch Buck maneuver this year

Frobby

Say what you want about whether we've downgraded from Cruz and Markakis, but it's sure going to be interesting to watch how Buck uses his players this season. Will any of Pearce, De Aza, Snider, Lough and Young earn everyday player status? The way I see it, Buck has about 2100 PA to allocate among those five guys, and maybe a bit less if he's going to have Wieters play DH once in a while. And before we ever get to those daily decisions, I guess there's the question of whether Lough makes the OD roster or whether they go with a guy like Hassan.

Then, of course, there is the juggling of the rotation. That should be fascinating as well. It's going to be fun to think along with Buck as the season progresses.

Personally I like the added flexibility. There were times last year when Nick or Cruz were struggling a bit and probably would have benefited from a day off. We can ride the hot hand as needed and keep everyone fresh. I see De Aza and Snider getting the most PAs out of that group, with Pearce not far behind, and Young/Lough getting ~250 each.

I would say Lough is in danger of losing his roster spot but I think his defensive ability is so far above any of the other COF options we have, and I think his ability to spell Jones in CF as needed, makes him good to have around.

Obviously injuries affect the best of plans. But I believe the base lineup will be:

Against RHP: LF De Aza, RF Snider; DH Pearce and Young at a 65/35 split

Against LHP: Young DH, Pearce 48% in LF and 48% in RF and 4% at 1B.

I think Buck has some flexibility with that final position spot for Lough/Hassan/Paredes/Navarro/8th bullpen guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Say what you want about whether we've downgraded from Cruz and Markakis, but it's sure going to be interesting to watch how Buck uses his players this season. Will any of Pearce, De Aza, Snider, Lough and Young earn everyday player status? The way I see it, Buck has about 2100 PA to allocate among those five guys, and maybe a bit less if he's going to have Wieters play DH once in a while. And before we ever get to those daily decisions, I guess there's the question of whether Lough makes the OD roster or whether they go with a guy like Hassan.

Then, of course, there is the juggling of the rotation. That should be fascinating as well. It's going to be fun to think along with Buck as the season progresses.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/1982.shtml

You are not kidding, Frobby. While the talk has been mostly about the OF and DH spots this year, consider, for each position there are viable backup options. Any crazy thing that happens: mid-game injury (hope not), extra innings pinch hitter, etc--Buck can cover it.

C: Wieters, Joseph, Flaherty

1B: Davis, Snider, Pearce, Flaherty, Wieters

2B: Schoop, Flaherty

SS: Hardy, Flaherty, Schoop

3B: Manny, Flaherty, Schoop, Davis and Pearce (Per reports he'll take reps there this spring)

LF: Pearce, De Aza, Lough, Young, Flaherty

CF: Jones, Lough, De Aza

RF: Snider, Pearce, Lough, De Aza

DH: Pearce, Young, Snider, Wieters, breather for anyone

Crazy options. Love it and we know we have the master who can exploit them and get the most out of them.

Archived