De Aza Arbitration Hearing Winner (Orioles Win)(H. Russell Smouse 8-0)

Beef Supreme

Who Wins the De Aza Arbitration Hearing?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins the De Aza Arbitration Hearing?

• De Aza
    • Orioles
    • They settle pre-hearing
    • Really sick of talking about De Aza'a Arbitration Hearing

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, shiver me timbers. I will never doubt the Orioles ever again. I honestly don't see how they won this one, and if this was winnable, why they didn't push harder on some of the other cases where I thought they were in better position. But I am absolutely done doubting them when they decide to take a player to the mat.

Russell. The Love Muscle.

I think Norris was easily a winnable case this year. I think Britton was a winnable case. I'm surprised the O's didn't fight those or drive a harder bargain.

But I think the O's are reluctant to take a player to arbitration when they've been a significant contributor to the team's winning ways. Both Norris and Britton were in that category, while De Aza was only here for a month. So the decision to take him to arbitration may have turned on more than just the merits of his case relative to the other players'.

I think Norris was easily a winnable case this year. I think Britton was a winnable case. I'm surprised the O's didn't fight those or drive a harder bargain.

But I think the O's are reluctant to take a player to arbitration when they've been a significant contributor to the team's winning ways. Both Norris and Britton were in that category, while De Aza was only here for a month. So the decision to take him to arbitration may have turned on more than just the merits of his case relative to the other players'.

And to serve as additional negotiating weight going forward. 8-0 is impressive to the agents.

I would have gone with Britton, he has three more trips and any money saved now will impact those three trips.

Of course I don't expect him to be on the team that long.

And to serve as additional negotiating weight going forward. 8-0 is impressive to the agents.

Yeah, but I did not see this case as a clear win for the Orioles -- far from it. I'd love to have some real insight into the process and how these arbitrators think. I don't know how you square the De Aza result with the Alvarez result or the compromise Parra reached.

Maybe the should have offered Matusz $1.92MM. :-)

Just throwing it out there as a possible factor.

It's a very valid point -- though it shouldn't be. This stuff isn't rocket science. I think you also have to consider that the quality of the presentations matter a lot, and Smouse clearly is the Clarence Darrow of baseball arbitration. Maybe Angelos could make some money by hiring Smouse out to other teams at $10,000 an hour.

Archived