De Aza Arbitration Hearing Winner (Orioles Win)(H. Russell Smouse 8-0)

Beef Supreme

Who Wins the De Aza Arbitration Hearing?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins the De Aza Arbitration Hearing?

• De Aza
    • Orioles
    • They settle pre-hearing
    • Really sick of talking about De Aza'a Arbitration Hearing

I've read in several places that WAR is not considered by arbiters. Mostly the baseball card stats. Maybe some reference to subjective criteria like "good defender". A Gold Glove, for example, would carry weight.

If you have cites or links, I'd love to read these.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Orioles treated De Aza as a “file-and-go” player, meaning that once the Orioles filed salary figures, he was going to a hearing. Before numbers were files, the Orioles engaged talk of signed De Aza to a multi-year deal that would have kept him in Baltimore beyond 2015. He’s slated to become a free agent after this season.

“I’m interested in the opportunity,” said De Aza, who said he didn’t know of any extension talk. “Like I said before, this is a great team and I’m excited about the opportunity here and I want to be here for a long time.”

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-de-aza-reports-to-orioles-camp-one-day-after-arbitration-loss-everything-is-going-to-be-the-same-20150222-story.html?track=rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Now, I guess you could look at this as the arbitrators feeling that Alvarez was underpaid in 2014, while De Aza was overpaid that year. And on the whole, I think Alvarez is the more desirable player. But since service time counts for so much in these arbitration cases, I really don't think these decisions are very consistent.

If you think the service time counts for a lot, then Alvarez would not appear to be a very good comp.

Your listing of the raises versus production is, in my opinion, not exactly on point. The more relevant points are what the Pirates offered, his actual value as determined by the panel based on the arguments, and what Alvarez asked for - the $5.75M.

Archived