Round of 64: #4 Maryland v. #13 Valparaiso (3/20) (4:40 pm ET) (TNT)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Doesn't the clock normally stop after made shots towards the end of the half? Maryland would have had time to get a decent shot if the clock stopped. There was a good 4 or 5 seconds left. Do they only stop it in the 2nd half?

Strangely, in college basketball it doesn't stop under a minute (I think) at the half. I've seen this happen a lot and never understood it.

Horrible horrible charges called and the Dodd call was atrocious.

I really liked Dave Gottleib though. He was calling it really straight and not being all PC or homerish... I liked that.

Layman is going to need to come to play if we want to shock the world. He was terrible today.

Hopefully the butterflies are gone.

Turg with that play at the end with Ram. He's like our Steve Kovarik who never plays unless absolutely needed for a defensive stop!

So ready for the next round!!!

Jake Layman will be back next year now, so I guess that's a bonus. He flat out embarrassed himself on national television the last two games. In his last four, he's shooting 31%, has an 8/7 assist to turnover ratio, and has averaged less than five rebounds a game. That's atrocious.

Trimble, Nickens, and Wiley kept us in the game today, along with Wells. Wells is what he is at this point. He can make one great play and then a bad one back to back. Smo played better than he has in a while, and we're going to need his defense and rebounding. Dodd has a tendency to look lost at times too. Checko shouldn't see the floor unless someone is in foul trouble, so why don't we give Graham some playing time?

I like our guards next year, but we really do need front court help in a serious way. I don't see us beating WV, but stranger things have happened.

Jake Layman will be back next year now, so I guess that's a bonus. He flat out embarrassed himself on national television the last two games. In his last four, he's shooting 31%, has an 8/7 assist to turnover ratio, and has averaged less than five rebounds a game. That's atrocious.

I agree that he hasn't been good, but 8/7 assist to turnover ratio out of your #3/#4 is not a bad figure. He does look lost on the offensive side of the floor. They are running a lot of stuff for Wells and Trimble right now, which they should. Wish Smotrcyz understood he can't shoot.

You would think we'd bounce back next game but honestly West Virginia is a terrible match up for us. WVU, though, is pretty up and down.

I'm not sure they are a terrible match up. They don't shoot very well and are not a very big team. The Terps need to control the ball against the WV press, which I'm fairly confident they can do with Trimble. WV isn't that great in half court defense. WV is very good on the offensive glass and getting second chances. This obviously an advantage for them.

Shortly, we'll be down to 32 teams who are playing for the national championship title. Maryland is one of them.

Just another 2014-15 type of win! Onto the top 32! i'll take it. My goal is to get to the Sweet 16, anything more is icing on the cake.

Yup. Survive and advance. :)

Was so hard watching at work on the laptop. Didn't get to follow like I would've liked....I planned on calling in sick Thursday and Friday, but then I was legit sick last week ugh. Couldn't come up with a good reason to miss work.

Nickens is such a good shooter. I felt like we could've defended the three better. Missed free throws need to not happen anymore.

Dodd has steadily improved as the season has progressed. Trimble was magical as usual. Wells was forcing a bit, he is relentless though I don't blame him. He came up huge when it mattered. He's a baller. Smotrycz had some open shots, just missed.

An overlooked play during this game is the Wiley 3. I recall Valpo had just tied it with like 6 minutes left, then he hit a huge three pointer to go back up. Trimble followed up with one of his own.

I'm not sure they are a terrible match up. They don't shoot very well and are not a very big team. The Terps need to control the ball against the WV press, which I'm fairly confident they can do with Trimble.

The couple times we saw it heavily, the press gave us all sorts of fits this year. Even Trimble looked phased. Now, I'm sure they've practiced a ton against it, but it just completely disrupts your rhythm and even someone like Trimble isn't immune.

If we play like we played today, we will lose against WVU. Need a contribution from Layman and frankly if he looked uncomfortable against Valpo, I shudder to think how he will react against WVU defense. Also, Smo is going to be seriously vulnerable. Need to make it clear to him he's only playing for his defense.

I'm not sure they are a terrible match up. They don't shoot very well and are not a very big team. The Terps need to control the ball against the WV press, which I'm fairly confident they can do with Trimble. WV isn't that great in half court defense. WV is very good on the offensive glass and getting second chances. This obviously an advantage for them.

And...they never like to leave a foul on the floor! Have to get through the pricing and get to the bonus quick.

The couple times we saw it heavily, the press gave us all sorts of fits this year. Even Trimble looked phased. Now, I'm sure they've practiced a ton against it, but it just completely disrupts your rhythm and even someone like Trimble isn't immune.

If we play like we played today, we will lose against WVU. Need a contribution from Layman and frankly if he looked uncomfortable against Valpo, I shudder to think how he will react against WVU defense. Also, Smo is going to be seriously vulnerable. Need to make it clear to him he's only playing for his defense.

I do agree they have struggled with the press, especially Trimble. But like you said hopefully they have worked on that.

I've been critical of Smotrycz this season, but I have to say that he played very well on defense today.

He needs to stop shooting so much, though. I cringe every time he tries to create his own shot and every time he launches an outside jumper.

Even my wife who does not really follow much knows how distressed I was with Smo this year. But he has definitely picked up his game and probably has been one of the smarter players on the court of late. Could be huge for us if were able to advance.

I've been critical of Smotrycz this season, but I have to say that he played very well on defense today.

He needs to stop shooting so much, though. I cringe every time he tries to create his own shot and every time he launches an outside jumper.

Yes - he was very good on the defensive end, but jeez stop trying to be an offensive threat.

Archived