Ba Top 100

Lt Melmo

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Addressing the last point first, yes I do think Flanagan deserves some credit for inheriting a farm system that was an absolute joke and getting it to the point of being at least respectable. Where I think he failed was in not doing the things that MacPhail has quickly done to shore up the Dominican program and other international scouting.

The other information you posted here is quite encouraging. Could you clarify who are the 6 players who received top 150 votes but who didn't make the top 100? I assume it's Rowell, Arrieta, Snyder, Beato, Spoone and someone else.

The other 6 were Arrieta, Spoone, Costanzo, Rowell, Beato and Snyder.

Addressing the last point first, yes I do think Flanagan deserves some credit for inheriting a farm system that was an absolute joke and getting it to the point of being at least respectable. Where I think he failed was in not doing the things that MacPhail has quickly done to shore up the Dominican program and other international scouting.

The other information you posted here is quite encouraging. Could you clarify who are the 6 players who received top 150 votes but who didn't make the top 100? I assume it's Rowell, Arrieta, Snyder, Beato, Spoone and someone else.

Frobby,

I agree on the international talent but when I wrote it I was just thinking about how far the system has come since he became GM. The guy missing was Costanzo who got one vote in the 100-150 area from one of the BA writers.

One last point I forgot to make is that we had a lot of guys like Markakis, Loewen, and Ray who moved fast while some other teams still have guys ranked coming up from those same 2002 & 2003 drafts that make their systems look better and one of the reason our team was devoid of talent at AA and AAA the last few years.

Considering that only recently have we been drafting smarter, I am happy with where we are. We've had years of poor drafting--Beau Hale, Chris Smith, David Townsend, etc. Those poor years have contributed to our lack of major league caliber players in our system right now.

Seems like our turning point was in '02, when we drafted Loewen. Then came Markakis in '03. From then we drafted Rowell and Weiters, and this year, I have high hopes for whoever we draft with our 4th pick (Alvarez, Beckham, Smoak, Hosmer). Only now are we starting to add potentially impactful players. And McPhail did a lot to add talent--both high potential and role players--via the trades this season.

Had we been drafting smarter for all these years we've been a terrible team, like the Rays have been, our minor league system would also be filled with terrific talent as well.

I try not to sound too much like a BA homer, but the above is really over-the-top.

I'd much rather have a prospect on this list than not...

Of course you would. We all would. But if we have 5 guys who turn out to be very good, it doesn't matter if some other team has more guys on the list because they're not likely to have more than 5 of them turn out to be very good.

Plus, the main point was in the paragraph you didn't quote: about how making the list better for the O's is gonna take some number of years, it's just not a quick-fix kind of thing.

12. MATT WIETERS

67. CHRIS TILLMAN

69. RADHAMES LIZ

78. TROY PATTON

91. NOLAN REIMOLD

Heres the list....

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/top-100-prospects/2008/265660.html

Enjoy the discussion gentlemen.....

Plus 2007 BA rankings:

28. ADAM JONES

47. BILLY ROWELL

58. TROY PATTON

78. BRANDON ERBE

85. MATT ALBERS

99. PEDRO BEATO

Great comp...I think Bal would be thrilled with that.

I agree with you. I know that there really aren't too many high expectations on Reimold this year. I suppose since he has been injured almost every year for us to really get over the top excited about.

I think he can surprise some people and have a breakout year and hopefully join the big club at some point.

I feel that his D could be a plus and he is supposed to have a good arm, which couldn't hurt in LF, we would have 3 plus arms in the OF, plus great range.

Sounds kinda strange, but if he can really get going, it can be a lot easier to start filling the infield holes we may have if Brob is traded.

Because if Reimold can work out, 4 of the 8 positions would be taken care of on the field by '09-'10. (LF, CF, RF and C), this is assuming we don't have Brob. If we do, put down 2b as well.

Then that would be the perfect time to sign Tex and trade some of our pitching depth for a stud prospect SS and use Moore or someone else at 3B.

I know I am reaching here, but now I feel that the Orioles are starting to make strides to becoming a more complete ballclub.

Archived