Dan's Most Criticized Offseason?

Bahama O's Fan

I don't mean because of him almost going to the Jays' date=' but because of his moves. I think I remember when we had BallFour fail his physical, we were the laughing stock of baseball.[/quote']

Screw the laughing stocks.

That was the right decision, the doctors felt he had too much wear and tear to go long term and he didn't like it, oh well.

I don't recall he had a banner year either.

I don't mean because of him almost going to the Jays' date=' but because of his moves. I think I remember when we had BallFour fail his physical, we were the laughing stock of baseball.[/quote']

This offseason, on both counts. For the moves that never came (and the constant pining away about losing the big 3), plus the personal criticism from the BJ fiasco.

I don't question the O's medical staff. They were right about Grant Balfour. They were right about Markakis. They were right about others as well.

The 11-12 offseason was my low point as a fan, so I'd go with that one.

Actually that's a good point. The mere acquisition of Dan Duquette was criticized. Once in power, he made the following moves:

November 22, 2011 Agreed to terms with INF Matt Antonelli on a one-year contract.

December 5, 2011 Announced INF Pedro Florimon was claimed off waivers by Minnesota.

December 8, 2011 Acquired LHP Dana Eveland from the L.A. Dodgers for LHP Jarret Martin and OF Tyler Henson.

December 13, 2011 Declined to tender contracts to OF Luke Scott, RHP Willie Eyre and LHP Jo-Jo Reyes

December 14, 2011 Agreed to terms with LHP Tsuyoshi Wada on a two-year contract.

December 20, 2011 Agreed to terms with OF Endy Chavez on a one-year contract.

January 3, 2012 Acquired OF Jai Miller from Oakland for cash considerations.

January 11, 2012 Agreed to terms with LHP Wei-yin Chen on a three-year contract.

January 24, 2012 Agreed to terms with INF Wilson Betemit on a two-year contract.

February 6, 2012 Traded RHP Jeremy Guthrie to Colorado for RHP Jason Hammel and RHP Matt Lindstrom. Designated LHP Clay Rapada for assignment.

February 10, 2012 Agreed to terms RHP Luis Ayala to a one-year contract and 1B Nick Johnson on a minor league contract.

Obviously a few of those look great in retrospect but just about every move of his was seen as very minor and even headscratching. The fanbase at this point was completely prepared for a mid season Adam Jones trade for prospects and there was no hope for any competent pitching until Bundy in 2 years. I might say this offseason was his most criticized.

Actually that's a good point. The mere acquisition of Dan Duquette was criticized. Once in power, he made the following moves:

November 22, 2011 Agreed to terms with INF Matt Antonelli on a one-year contract.

December 5, 2011 Announced INF Pedro Florimon was claimed off waivers by Minnesota.

December 8, 2011 Acquired LHP Dana Eveland from the L.A. Dodgers for LHP Jarret Martin and OF Tyler Henson.

December 13, 2011 Declined to tender contracts to OF Luke Scott, RHP Willie Eyre and LHP Jo-Jo Reyes

December 14, 2011 Agreed to terms with LHP Tsuyoshi Wada on a two-year contract.

January 11, 2012 Agreed to terms with LHP Wei-yin Chen on a three-year contract.

January 24, 2012 Agreed to terms with INF Wilson Betemit on a two-year contract.

February 6, 2012 Traded RHP Jeremy Guthrie to Colorado for RHP Jason Hammel and RHP Matt Lindstrom. Designated LHP Clay Rapada for assignment.

February 10, 2012 Agreed to terms RHP Luis Ayala to a one-year contract and 1B Nick Johnson on a minor league contract.

Obviously a few of those look great in retrospect but just about every move of his was seen as very minor and even headscratching. The fanbase at this point was completely prepared for a mid season Adam Jones trade for prospects and there was no hope for any competent pitching until Bundy in 2 years. I might say this offseason was his most criticized.

Great recap. I remember thinking that offseason was an absolute trainwreck, and thought we had reached an all time low as a franchise. Then, out of nowhere, we win 93 games and make it to the ALDS. Absolutely unreal. I still can't make any sense of it.

Are we considering this not off-season (it came before opening day)?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/gonzami03.shtml#trans

December 10, 2011: Released by the Boston Red Sox.

March 4, 2012: Signed as a Free Agent with the Baltimore Orioles.

Archived