Which streak is more impressive, Ripken's games played or Red Sox Sellouts?

psychboy12

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was there when 2131 was unfurled on the Warehouse...still have chills everytime I think about it. Maybe a touchy comparison on these boards, but the post was meant to spark a discussion about OPACY attendance than to incite a actually rally for Ripken's feat....

OK.

We do have an attendance thread for the 2015 Orioles:

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/147155-2015-Attendance-Thread

Perhaps you can spark some enthusiasm for larger home crowds over there. ;)

I figured as much, but thinking about the increased attendance over the past few years made me think about how awesome our fanbase is....it'd be nice to see some attendance numbers (actual) that show how strong Birdland actually is.....

I've been a season ticket holder since 1991, sat through the dark ages, how bout you?

I've been a season ticket holder since 1991, sat through the dark ages, how bout you?

Couldn't afford season tix 'til recently, but managed to attend as many games as I could since my first somewhere near 1976....proudly attended every O's game at Comisky (not Cellular something) between 1992-2004 (kinda dark, too) ....thanks for asking!

Cal.

All day.

Every day.

I lived in Boston from 1997-2002, never have I seen a more bandwagony group of "fans" in my life.

Fenway is sold out from corporate tickets, yuppies, tourists and college students who go for the novelty. The real fans are priced out.

Screw that place.

MSK

With all of the excitement in Birdland, I love seeing the crowded Yard. Looking up the Red Sox consecutive sellout streak I was in complete awe of that number....820! How the heck does that happen????? Let's pack the Yard!

Ripken's is far more impressive. Boston's is the result of a market inefficiency. In a truly competitive situation another team or three would have come into that market to better satisfy the local demand for high-level baseball. Since the Braves seem unhappy with their stadium situation and their new new stadium may have some legal issues maybe they could just move back to Boston.

Ripken's is far more impressive. Boston's is the result of a market inefficiency. In a truly competitive situation another team or three would have come into that market to better satisfy the local demand for high-level baseball. Since the Braves seem unhappy with their stadium situation and their new new stadium may have some legal issues maybe they could just move back to Boston.

And Tampa could move to South Bronx. That would solve everything. It really would.

And I'm sure everyone could have an awesome sellout streak if they just annually adjusted the number of available seats in their stadium to equal about 1/3 of the expected demand. The Sox seriously talked about a New Fenway maybe 20 years ago, but then did a trial run of the idea that you could just charge obscene amounts for the few available tickets. And it worked brilliantly. Now almost everyone tries that, and even builds new stadiums with 30k-something capacities to create artificial scarcity. If the O's played in the Ironbirds' stadium I'm sure they'd sell out every game at $100 a ticket.

With all of the excitement in Birdland, I love seeing the crowded Yard. Looking up the Red Sox consecutive sellout streak I was in complete awe of that number....820! How the heck does that happen????? Let's pack the Yard!

Ripken's streak and it isn't even close. Now if the question was Ripken or DiMaggio, it's still Ripken, but at least arguments can be made for the latter.

Ripken's streak and it isn't even close. Now if the question was Ripken or DiMaggio, it's still Ripken, but at least arguments can be made for the latter.

I agree, not even worth discussing, seriously.

Smallest stadium in MLB, in a big city market that spends all winter hibernating from the snow. They like their baseball, granted. :)

Archived