Regretting Not Signing Andrew Miller?

Rene88

I'd be happy.

Very happy. I just want the team to win.

That's all.

The one thing I hate is watching completely winnable games go down the drain.

Especially when it could have been avoided by incredibly simple moves during the offseason.

MSK

I hated the fact that he threw a 3-1 pitch in the strike zone. I hated that. I will love it when he lowers his ERA to 3.75 throughout the season. As he will.

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd be happy.

That's all.

Especially when it could have been avoided by incredibly simple moves during the offseason.

MSK

But we wouldn't hear a peep. As was suggested. You only show up in negative threads.

And your simple moves aren't simple at all in the real world.

I'd be happy.

That's all.

MSK

Look, with all due respect, they could have spent 100 million dollar more and sign 5 more guys.

But, you still don't win every single game of the 162, whats the record 108 or something like that?

Sometimes the baseball doesn't bounce your way and it sucks, but it happens.

Sometimes it does and we clap and cheer and yell Oriole Magic is in the air.

It stinks because we grew to love him. How could you not? But at the same time, it just didn't make sense. I mean it's one thing to me if Britton had an awful year last year at closer but Britton put up similar numbers to Miller at a fraction of what Miller ended up costing and I'll add this, we weren't going to get him for 4/36. It would have cost us more because the Yankees being the Yankees probably would have offered more money if we equaled or raised the offer. And furthermore I understand why the FO is conservative about signing relievers to long term expensive deals. Anyone remember when we tried to build a pen from strictly FA some years back? Jamie Walker, Chad Bradford, etc. Or more recently how quickly Jim Johnson fell off after two consecutive 50 save seasons and how Balfour ended up being a total wreck after his failed physical. I'd be shocked if Miller is performing this well half way into his Yankees deal. It really does suck we lost him especially because he's now a Yankee and we missed out on the WS last year but at the same time, we were on our way to the playoffs without him and who is to say we can't improve this year?

We never intended to resign Andrew Miller. Should we have? I do not know. Tony-OH says definitely we should have. I just know there was never a day, other than to ask what his number was, that we were in the bidding. Or ever intended to be.

Look, with all due respect, they could have spent 100 million dollar more and sign 5 more guys.

But, you still don't win every single game of the 162, whats the record 108 or something like that?

Sometimes the baseball doesn't bounce your way and it sucks, but it happens.

Sometimes it does and we clap and cheer and yell Oriole Magic is in the air.

The 2001 Seattle team went (116-46)

Their offseason was.

November 7, 2000: Scott Podsednik was signed as a Free Agent with the Seattle Mariners.[2]

December 22, 2000: Bret Boone was signed as a Free Agent with the Seattle Mariners.

Had No Griffey or ARod. Traded one, let the other walk.

Had a $ 74,720,833 payroll. The Orioles spent, $ 74,279,540.

We never intended to resign Andrew Miller. Should we have? I do not know. Tony-OH says definitely we should have. I just know there was never a day, other than to ask what his number was, that we were in the bidding. Or ever intended to be.

Time will only tell if we should have. I guess what I'm getting at is that we didn't need a closer and that's what the Yankees are paying him for(and he wouldn't be doing that here) plus as I said, relief pitching is so volatile, I understand why the FO is reluctant to give relievers a ton of years and a ton of money.

I thought we had talks and made an attempt, that is, if the media reporting is right, and it wasn't good enough.

Most people if polled back last season, knew he was just a 2 month rental, which was why some of them were not happy losing E-Rod.

Yeah, for 2015 Miller doesn't make that much more than Webb, Matusz, and Wright combined. I would have been tempted to give Miller his 4/36 and get rid of those three guys. But then for 2016, the O's have, what, 11 free agents that will need to be paid? And, of course, the Yankees would have probably just upped their offer.

I thought it was pretty clear from the day we traded for Miller that he was strictly a rental who'd be gone after the season. I enjoyed him for what he was and never had any kind of expectations he'd be back... I guess its probably harder to accept him leaving if you held onto hope he'd actually stick around here beyond 2014.

I am not throwing the season away, but the lack of movement in the offseason is clear because we've got some needs in the pitching department.

I do believe our offense will be adequate, but we need pitching. I still believe we've skirted by with our SR for the last couple of years and our bullpen took a massive hit when Miller took off.

MSK

Here is how our bullpen performed last year, by month:

March/April: 4.02 ERA, 7 of 9 in save opportunities

May: 3.48 ERA, 10/16

June: 3.35 ERA, 6/9

July: 2.34 ERA, 11/16

August: 2.00, 10/11

Sept.: 3.12, 9/11

As you can see, our bullpen was pretty good, and getting better, before Miller arrived at the very end of July. There's no doubt they were better with Miller than without him. However, I believe our bullpen should be pretty solid in 2015.

Archived