Lord I needed that

Frobby

I enjoyed that myself.  Watch them go out and sign either Manny or Bryce Harper now, lol....

Go Astros, is all I can say.  I also rooted against the Dodgers last year, which is why the Astros run last year was so awesome, but I'm having a harder time with that this year since Manny is there.  Still would like to see a BrewCrew - 'Stros WS though.  Which of course means we'll probably get Boston vs LA. ?

8 hours ago, Orioles1954 said:

I dislike the Yankees. I hate the Red Sox. I'd rather the MFYs win 27 more World Series before I have to deal with the BoSox.

It's not a close call for me, I guess because (a) in my earliest years as an Orioles fan, the NYY were on top and the Red Sox were not a factor, (b) I live in New York, and (c) my wife is a native New Englander and lifelong RS fan, which is difficult enough without my hating on them.

My ##2 and 3 are the Nats and the BJs, and they're way, way behind the NYYs. 

22 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

(October 9th)

Granted that this thread is generally reserved for Oriole victories, but I sure as hell loved watching the Yankees get pounded by a score of 16-1 in Game 3 of the ALDS, and then get eliminated on their home-field in Game 4. 

Just prior to the start of the 2018 season, several Houston Astros players (Justin Verlander being one of them) expressed their discontent about all of the hype about the Yankees and the likelihood of them winning the American League championship with the addition of Giancarlo Stanton to an already strong team ........ those feelings of annoyance were substantiated by the combination of the Astros advancing to the ALCS and the Yankees getting KO'd in the divisional playoffs. 

Justin Verlander Doesn't Care about the Yankees' Hype

(By Corey Masiak)

https://nypost.com/2018/02/14/justin-verlander-doesnt-care-about-the-yankees-hype/

o

The Orioles had 47 wins this season.  The Yankees losing in the first round of the playoffs doesn't give me any satisfaction. If the Orioles lost in the first round of the playoffs and the Yankees had 47 wins on the season that would make me happy. 

23 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

(October 9th)

Granted that this thread is generally reserved for Oriole victories, but I sure as hell loved watching the Yankees get pounded by a score of 16-1 in Game 3 of the ALDS, and then get eliminated on their home-field in Game 4. 

Just prior to the start of the 2018 season, several Houston Astros players (Justin Verlander being one of them) expressed their discontent about all of the hype about the Yankees and the likelihood of them winning the American League championship with the addition of Giancarlo Stanton to an already strong team ........ those feelings of annoyance were substantiated by the combination of the Astros advancing to the ALCS and the Yankees getting KO'd in the divisional playoffs. 

Justin Verlander Doesn't Care about the Yankees' Hype

(By Corey Masiak)

https://nypost.com/2018/02/14/justin-verlander-doesnt-care-about-the-yankees-hype/

o

44 minutes ago, atomic said:

The Orioles had 47 wins this season. The Yankees losing in the first round of the playoffs doesn't give me any satisfaction. If the Orioles lost in the first round of the playoffs and the Yankees had 47 wins on the season that would make me happy. 

o

And if the Orioles had won the World Series, that would make me even happier than winning 100 games and losing in the ALDS.

That didn't happen.

I like watching a team in their division who has no risk-reward factor in terms of spending money on players (unlike mid-market and small-market teams, who have big clouds hanging over them for years if they sign one expensive player who doesn't play well) bite the dust without at least claiming the American League championship, which has happened 14 times out of 15 since October of 2003.

o

4 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

And if the Orioles had won the World Series, that would make me even happier than winning 100 games and losing in the ALDS.

That didn't happen.

I like watching a team in their division who has no risk-reward factor in terms of spending money on players (unlike mid-market and small-market teams, who have big clouds hanging over them for years if they sign one expensive player who doesn't play well) bite the dust without at least claiming the American League championship, which has happened 14 times out of 15 since October of 2003.

o

This is like a homeless person being happy some Vice President didn't get promoted to CEO. 

11 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

That didn't happen.

o

6 minutes ago, atomic said:

This is like a homeless person being happy some Vice President didn't get promoted to CEO. 

o

No, that is like a fan of a team being happy about another more privileged team with pompous, entitled fans consistently fall short of expectations despite all of their advantages, which is not unusual at all.

o

Just now, OFFNY said:

o

No, that is like a fan of a team being happy about another more privileged team with pompous, entitled fans consistently fall short of expectations despite all of the advantages, which is not unusual at all.

o

The Yankees haven't had a losing season since 1992.  Much less a season where they were 68 games under .500.  If the Orioles had 88 wins and missed the playoffs and the Yankees lost in the ALDS  it might give me some satisfaction.  but I am not sure how them losing in the playoffs this year could possibly bring me joy.  We don't even belong in the same league as the Yankees and Red Sox this season. 

On 10/10/2018 at 10:53 PM, atomic said:

The Yankees haven't had a losing season since 1992. 

o

The Yankees also haven't had a season in which they weren't at least in the top-5 in payroll (and quite often, they have had the highest payroll in the Majors) in the last quarter of a Century.

As one Oriole fan said a long time ago when comparing the GM jobs of these 2 respective teams ....... You give me $200 Million-Plus year in and year out, and I'll put a winning, competitive team on the field year in and year out. You give me the restrictions that Andy MacPhail (and later Dan Duquette) have, and they'll hang me outside of OPACY.

So considering the surrounding circumstances, it's not all that overly impressive that the Yankees have been able to win a bare minimum of 85 - 88 wins year in and year out as they have. And there's one more thing in this world that makes me happy that you can't understand. 

o

10 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

The Yankees also haven't had a season in which they weren't at least in the top-5 in payroll (and quite often, they have had the highest payroll in the Majors) in the last quarter of a Century.

As one Oriole fan said a long time ago when comparing the GM jobs of these 2 respective teams ....... You give me $200 Million-Plus year in and year out, and I'll put a winning, competitive team on the field year in and year out. You give me the restrictions that Andy MacPhail (and later Dan Duquette) have, and they'll hang me outside of OPACY.

So considering the surrounding circumstances, it's not all that overly impressive that the Yankees have been able to win a bare minimum of 85 - 88 wins year in and year out as they have. And there's one more thing in this world that makes me happy that you can't understand. 

o

I think the Orioles had a payroll over 160 million this year. Do you think another 40 million of spending would get them up to the 100 wins the Yankees had this season? Also I believe the Yankees payroll to start the season was only 167 million.  7 million dollars isn't going to get you 53 more wins. 

On 10/10/2018 at 11:03 PM, OFFNY said:

o

The Yankees also haven't had a season in which they weren't at least in the top-5 in payroll (and quite often, they have had the highest payroll in the Majors) in the last quarter of a Century.

As one Oriole fan said a long time ago when comparing the GM jobs of these 2 respective teams ....... You give me $200 Million-Plus year in and year out, and I'll put a winning, competitive team on the field year in and year out. You give me the restrictions that Andy MacPhail (and later Dan Duquette) have, and they'll hang me outside of OPACY.

o

On 10/11/2018 at 9:10 AM, atomic said:

I think the Orioles had a payroll over 160 million this year. Do you think another 40 million of spending would get them up to the 100 wins the Yankees had this season? Also I believe the Yankees payroll to start the season was only 167 million.  7 million dollars isn't going to get you 53 more wins. 

o

Do you really need this explained to you like you as though have been living on the moon ??? ESPECIALLY after you cited the Yankees' not having a losing season since 1992, and my corresponding response ???

I KNOW that you know what I am about to point out to you, so I would appreciate it if you would cut this nonsense out after I make this post.

Citing the Yankees' payroll in relation to that of the Orioles'payroll this season particular season omits the picture/the point of which anybody who has even the slightest idea of understanding overall/broad context knows. Their payroll has dropped considerably over the last 2-3 seasons, but that has been due largely to big contracts coming off the the books (Rodriguez, Teixeira, Jeter, etc), not necessarily a conscious effort by the Yankees to considerably tighten their pocket strings. The Orioles, on the other hand, have had a major black cloud hanging over their head for the past several seasons due to the disastrous Chris Davis contract, and that headache/black cloud will continue to torment and hamstring them for the next several seasons unless Davis decides to abruptly retire and forfeit most of the money still owed to him by the Orioles ........ that would not be the case if he were with the Yankees. For mid-market and small-market teams, if they splurge on one or two highly expensive free agents that don't work out (like the Orioles did with Chris Davis), those teams will likely be moderately to severely hamstrung financially as a result of those signings for several years. Subsequently, in light of all of the money tied up with the Davis contract, the Orioles' hand was forced in regard to trading Manny Machado ....... a team like the Yankees would have no such black cloud hanging over their heads if they were in the same situation. It doesn't matter if they spend a lot of money on free agents that either bust and/or don't live up to the expectations that they had of them when they gave them all of that money (Carl Pavano, A. J. Burnett, Randy Johnson, Alex Rodriguez, Mark Teixeira, etc.) Or for that matter, Derek Jeter in the last few years of his career. Jeter wasn't a free agent signing, but he was a player that was making boatloads of money at that time ($16 Million a year over the final 5 years of his career between 2010 and 2014), and he was nowhere near that type of money player in his last 2 years with the team. But for the Yankees and their short-term and long-term budgets, no matter ....... they can keep spending, with little or no repercussions. There is the luxury tax situation for teams that spend excessively, but I'm talking about repercussions that seriously/adversely affect their thinking and their general financial situation in any meaningful way. Sure, the Yankees would like to avoid the luxury tax when they can, but if they don't, it's not like it then will significantly change their overall situation at-large. They certainly would not be remotely considering the possibility of letting a player like Manny Machado leave via free agency with only a draft pick coming back their way (or trading him, as the Orioles did) if they really wanted to keep him. 

The fact that the Yankees can spend and waste and not miss a beat (and the Orioles cannot) is much more fundamentally important when critiquing and comparing a team's spending than is a solitary season's payroll, if the assertion is that they are in the same neighborhood (as yours is.) They are 2 very different neighborhoods, with one similarity.

o