So what does this team need?

El Gordo

If the O's could add one player what should it be? A Cruz type Moo bat?. A TOR or a Back of the pen RP a la Miller? Or something else?A bonafide lead off bat? For my money it would be the TOR. We could actually add that if we were willing to give up what it takes for Cueto or Hamels.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At this point, I would take Bartolo Colon. Find me a pitcher who can throw strikes. Hopefully, our group will again find the parts of the strike zone where their stuff plays....as they did last year.
I have no doubt that our SP will regress to their mean, but a true TOR would be a big improvement, and it would also keep one away from The Redsux and the MFY.

Which previous owner of the Orioles, going back to 1954, would that most resemble?

attachment.php?attachmentid=1303&d=1431185085

A different time (money is very different now)...but I think PA in shades with Buck would be cool! Mr. Hoffberger was very smart in the hiring of Frank Cashen and Harry Dalton and letting them do their thing. PA has done a similar smart thing in hiring Buck and DD- hopefully they will continue to do their thing.

So, maybe 60 years should have convinced you by now that:

a) The market will not support a "win at all costs" budget

b) No owner is going to go broke to make their team a winner

Nor should they. If the top payroll team would win the championship every year there would be an argument for it. But payroll loosely correlates with making the playoffs.

Consistent starting pitching. The offense is there. The bullpen is pretty much there. Starters need to step up and show that last year was not a fluke. I said in one of the preseason threads that we need an ace and that would definitely help. We can have some inconsistency from a couple of guys but not through the whole rotation.

I'd go with an ace. But we'll never have one until we happen to grow one, cuz we're not buying one.
Would you consider trading for one? Cueto for one year at 10M? Have to give one of Gausman/Bundy plus, but he might put us over the top.

Archived