Orioles win; Yankees lose

wildcard

2 hours ago, Uli2001 said:

For real? This infinite patience with a closer.

I don't know how many other options they have.  

But look at him compared to Kimbrel.  We've probably given that guy more chances than necessary.  He'll probably get more chances as the season goes along.  And Holmes is only 31, he should still be in his prime...it wasn't long ago that I saw someone on here refer to him as the right handed version of Zack Britton.

I bet they're going to keep trotting him out there to see if they can get him back to form.  He's really dominant when he's on.

That said, I hope he keeps blowing saves like he did tonight.

7 hours ago, Uli2001 said:

For real? This infinite patience with a closer.

I know this may come as a shock to you and most fans but teams don’t tend to get all panicky like you want them to.

They don’t just give up on guys.

Kimbrel is in a terrible slump and some fans want to DFA him but the Os know there is a dominant pitcher in there somewhere because he has shown that for long stretches this year.

It’s far better to work these guys in lesser roles and see if they can snap out of it. Now, the Yankees aren’t doing that with Holmes but the struggles aren’t as abrupt and as bad as they were with Kimbrel but the Yankees know that they need Holmes to be good for them to win in Oct. The Orioles likely know that about Kimbrel too. 

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I know this may come as a shock to you and most fans but teams don’t tend to get all panicky like you want them to.

Kimbrel is in a terrible slump and some fans want to DFA him but the Os know there is a dominant pitcher in there somewhere because he has shown that for long stretches this year.

It’s far better to work these guys in lesser roles and see if they can snap out of it. Now, the Yankees aren’t doing that with Holmes but the struggles aren’t as abrupt and as bad as they were with Kimbrel but the Yankees know that they need Holmes to be good for them to win in Oct. The Orioles likely know that about Kimbrel too. 

Also, SG has been advocating for Kimbrel all season and won't give up now.

I do question how long his periods of dominance have been this year.  I don't question that they have existed, just if I would use the word long to describe them.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Also, SG has been advocating for Kimbrel all season and won't give up now.

I do question how long his periods of dominance have been this year.  I don't question that they have existed, just if I would use the word long to describe them.

My advocating has nothing to do with it. The team signed him and obviously thinks highly enough of him.

On top of that, you are wrong to not decribe him that way, especially from the first bad outing vs DC until July 1ish.

He was dominant in that stretch and he was also very good to start the year. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I don't mind using Kimbrel in middle innings in 6-1 games, winning or losing. In a high leverage situation, I would not call on him. If he wasnt a 13 million dollar investment, he would either be sent down or DFA.He's been a great, maybe even borderline HOF, but he simply can't get it done. Earl Weaver once said of the chances he gave to an over the hill Mike Cuellar, "I've given him more chances than I gave my first wife", that's how I feel about Kimbrel.It's nothing personal, it's just about trying to win ball games.

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s truly incredible to me how mediocre the teams with the top 5 records in the sport have been for 2+ months. 

IN LA, the Dodgers may have the worst collapse, mostly due to injuries of any talented, contending  team. It's not about talent on paper, it's really about health.

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s truly incredible to me how mediocre the teams with the top 5 records in the sport have been for 2+ months. 

The Yankees especially because they have been pretty healthy while ours is bit more understandable with all the pitching injuries we are just trying to stay afloat with 2 good starters a decent but unproven Suarez and Kremer struggling or hurt and a disastrous 5th starter.  The Yankees have only had Cole out early in the year then he replaced Schmidt a week after he got hurt so they have had to use 6 starters who are proven pitchers.   Judge, Soto, and Volpe have also been very healthy.  

• Upvote 1