Past off season and Dan Duquette/Blue Jays distraction.

kelsey59

Everything good is luck, everything bad is malice and/or stupidity. Someone here has said that about everyone who has been in a managerial position for the Orioles for as long as the Hangout has existed.

And before the OH, they said the same thing in SUNSPOT.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think that Duquette was distracted in the offseason. I think that the problem is that Duquette has to work within an imaginary budget b/c Peter Angelos is cheap.

However, I do blame Duquette for the terrible Andrew Miller trade. Trading a top prospect to a division rival for a pitcher that they had no intention of trying to resign? The reason this is stupid is b/c Rodriguez would have been on his rookie contract for 6 years and for a cheap team like the Orioles that is important. If Miller is resigned or of the team wins the World Series then obviously this trade isn't as bad.

I don't think that Duquette was distracted in the offseason. I think that the problem is that Duquette has to work within an imaginary budget b/c Peter Angelos is cheap.

However, I do blame Duquette for the terrible Andrew Miller trade. Trading a top prospect to a division rival for a pitcher that they had no intention of trying to resign? The reason this is stupid is b/c Rodriguez would have been on his rookie contract for 6 years and for a cheap team like the Orioles that is important. If Miller is resigned or of the team wins the World Series then obviously this trade isn't as bad.

Herman, you crack me up.

Yeh, and all they are "right" about is that if you take the current team and spend an extra $20-30M, the team will be better in 2015. No kidding. None of them want to even attempt to construct a team within the obvious budget framework (%115-120M).

What? A pre-requisite for criticizing our GM is submitting a fully constructed team within budget?

Answer one question for me...you do understand how easy it is to second guess and play Monday morning QB, right?

For instance, you thought DD had a bad 2013 offseason, but yet Cruz became a sensation that you then got mad that the Orioles let him go. You said yourself we got "lucky" by signing Cruz.

Another example is the Yankees. Everyone, fans on here and "experts" on TV, was saying the Yankees are old and shouldn't be relying on Tex and ARod. But Monday morning QBing we can now say, "Wow, look how great these guys are." If the Orioles had traded Davis for Tex straight up in the offseason, most people would have been storming the castle. Now it looks like a no brainer to have done it.

I just want to know, if the Orioles get hot, which isn't out of the realm of possibility since this current cycle is nearly identical to the path we took last year. But anyway, if we get hot and contend, will you still complain about the job Duke has done?

For one thing, the Yankees spent money on the best available talent whenever they could and even though many frowned on their spending, a couple of their big money guys like Tex and ARod are keeping them in the race.

Now, if the Orioles manage to kick things into gear, I will apologize for arguing with "prominent" members of the board and will continue to support the team as I always have.

This isn't Monday morning quarterbacking, it's just based on watching baseball for most of my life. Getting the best players usually equates into winning more games which usually leads to championships.

MSK

Now, if the Orioles manage to kick things into gear, I will apologize for arguing with "prominent" members of the board and will continue to support the team as I always have.

If? Please stop with the "me against the board" approach. Nobody has sympathy for the phony victim. "I told you so" is extremely tiresome. If you're right, you're right, and if you're wrong, you're wrong. In the big picture, it's not at all important either way.

If? Please stop with the "me against the board" approach. Nobody has sympathy for the phony victim. "I told you so" is extremely tiresome. If you're right, you're right, and if you're wrong, you're wrong. In the big picture, it's not at all important either way.

This isn't me against the board.

It's me answering a question I was asked directly.

I don't want sympathy at all. Never once asked for it, don't care for it really.

The only thing I truly want is for a few folks here to be honest about their snarkiness and group-think mentality and admit that they attack people unfairly. That's about it.

MSK

I don't want sympathy at all. Never once asked for it, don't care for it really.

The only thing I truly want is for a few folks here to be honest about their snarkiness and group-think mentality and admit that they attack people unfairly. That's about it.

MSK

Here's a thought, let the moderators handle it. Never assume that things aren't being addressed behind the scenes. Stop with the generalizations about "group-think." This is my final note on this. Feel free to PM me about this.

MSK

Good luck with that. Your worthless arguments are attacked pretty fairly in my opinion. Too fairly considering what a waste of time they are.

Here's a thought, let the moderators handle it. Never assume that things aren't being addressed behind the scenes. Stop with the generalizations about "group-think." This is my final note on this. Feel free to PM me about this.

Okay. No problem. No more generalizations.

MSK

Good luck with that. Your worthless arguments are attacked pretty fairly in my opinion. Too fairly considering what a waste of time they are.

:laughlol:

And case in point.

This guy goes too far pretty much all of the time.

I don't agree with his POV and he has to make it personal.

*Shrugs* Guess some folks just can't exist in a world where there's a difference of opinion. (Not generalizing, talking specifically about this guy).

MSK

Archived