Oriole article

Going Underground

I was going to have an article about Oriole wine or the Light Rail checking if you paid your fare during this weeks Oriole games but this will do. The Orioles did win . I guess one run on a wild pitch works. OFFNY have a good day.

In a chat with fans, ESPN's Keith Law didn't sound impressed by Stewart.

I'm not sure what he can do. He's a first baseman who might have to be a DH. Who's the last college first baseman drafted in the first 2-3 rounds to become an average or better major-league starter? I think you have to go back a decade to find one.

D1baseball.com calls Stewart a "walk machine."

Few hitters control the strike zone like the compact Stewart, a walk machine with prodigious raw power from the left side. A former high school running back who is built like a fire hydrant, Stewart earns comparisons to Kyle Schwarber and Brian Giles.

Kiley McDaniel of FanGraphs concurs.

Stewart's frame and extreme squatting stance in the batter's box give him an unusual look for a first-round pick, but he hits, controls the strike zone and has done it at the highest amateur levels for years. He has 20-homer power that he should be able to get to in games and is deceptively quick for his size, owing it to his past as a high school running back, so he's good enough to play left field.

Some believe Stewart was the best hitter coming out of college this year, according to MLB.com.

Stewart hit everywhere he'd ever played before a surprising summer slump with the U.S. collegiate national team. It carried over to a slow start during his junior year at Florida State, though he turned it up a notch and went back to showing an ability to swing the bat well. There are those who believe Stewart has one of the best bats in the 2015 college class. ... Stewart has a quick left-handed stroke, strength and patience. He has plus raw power but he doesn't fully tap into it because he bats from an extreme crouch and has a flat swing. He might hit 20 homers per season if he stands more upright.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-what-theyre-saying-about-orioles-firstround-draft-pick-dj-stewart-20150610-story.html

I was going to have an article about Oriole wine or the Light Rail checking if you paid your fare during this weeks Oriole games, but this will do. The Orioles did win. I guess one run on a wild pitch works. OFFNY, have a good day.

I'm not sure what he can do. He's a first baseman who might have to be a DH. Who's the last college first baseman drafted in the first 2-3 rounds to become an average or better major-league starter? I think you have to go back a decade to find one.

D1baseball.com calls Stewart a "walk machine."

Few hitters control the strike zone like the compact Stewart, a walk machine with prodigious raw power from the left side. A former high school running back who is built like a fire hydrant, Stewart earns comparisons to Kyle Schwarber and Brian Giles.

Kiley McDaniel of FanGraphs concurs.

Stewart's frame and extreme squatting stance in the batter's box give him an unusual look for a first-round pick, but he hits, controls the strike zone and has done it at the highest amateur levels for years. He has 20-homer power that he should be able to get to in games and is deceptively quick for his size, owing it to his past as a high school running back, so he's good enough to play left field.

Some believe Stewart was the best hitter coming out of college this year, according to MLB.com.

Stewart hit everywhere he'd ever played before a surprising summer slump with the U.S. collegiate national team. It carried over to a slow start during his junior year at Florida State, though he turned it up a notch and went back to showing an ability to swing the bat well. There are those who believe Stewart has one of the best bats in the 2015 college class. ... Stewart has a quick left-handed stroke, strength and patience. He has plus raw power but he doesn't fully tap into it because he bats from an extreme crouch and has a flat swing. He might hit 20 homers per season if he stands more upright.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-what-theyre-saying-about-orioles-firstround-draft-pick-dj-stewart-20150610-story.html

grimed1, a man of his word. :)

Have a greenie.

I don't dislike Keith Law but this is a very stupid point. He was not a college first baseman. Period. I didn't go through his entire 2015 game log but he didn't play a single game at first in 2013 or 2014, and he has been the left fielder in every 2015 box score I checked. So his opinions on the ability of college first basemen to become average MLB starters is entirely irrelevant.

Archived