vs. PHILLIES, 6/16

OFFNY

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• You yourself admit that we need some acquisitions. That means that you agree that the team currently is inadequate. So, inadequate for what? I never said we wouldn’t make the playoffs, I said we would “slowly sink.” that’s neither an overreaction, nor certainly not ridiculous. Let me explain what I mean by “slowly sink.” I don’t think we will continue our same winning percentage, I don’t think we will win 100 games, and I don’t think we will win the division. That’s what I meant. If you disagree with those concerns, then you also think we don’t need to make any acquisitions, because you think we’re going to win as many games whether we do or don’t. But I doubt you disagree with them. Instead I think you probably don’t worry about them because even if all those things happen, we can still make the playoffs, and that’s fine, I agree with that I have no desire to be contentious. But those worries are certainly not ridiculous.
    • In a Divisional Series if we played the Mariners and Burnes pitches games 1 and 4 and Rodriguez pitches games 2 and 5 you would really take the Mariners who are scoring 3.9 runs a game and have an 8 run differential versus the Orioles who score 5.0 runs a game and have an 108 run differential because their third and fourth starters are better than the Orioles?  This is why I say the only thing coming unglued is the general sentiment on this message board.  I think we would heavy favorites against the Mariners in a 5 or 7 game series.
    • I didn't say everything. I said a good bit. Can you think of in your lifetime a single player who is a no-doubt about it HOF like Kershaw who has come up so small in big moments consistently? It defies logic. I'm not discrediting the need for good fortune. However, I don't think it's a simple roll of the dice either. The Rangers had several elite bats that performed at their best when the lights were brightest and then they caught lightening in a bottle with Heim, Carter, and Garver. Basically all of their batters hit the ball out of the yard in the postseason save for Grossman, and Semien didn't have a great postseason by his standards/multi-year all-star abilities.
    • Gilbert and Skubal aren’t controlled for long enough 
    • I think what he’s saying is that the offensive environment of the league has changed drastically due to the use of the ABS system starting last year.   2022: 4.98 runs/game, .750 OPS 2023: 5.50 runs/game, .804 OPS 2024: 5.20 runs/game, .771 OPS So, any comparison between Gunnar’s and Mayo’s stats has to take that into account.   Also, Gunnar got to AAA 3 weeks before his 21st birthday and was done with it at the ripe old age of 21 years, 2 months.  Mayo was 21 years, 8 months when he started at AAA and is 22 years, 7 months now.    But really the biggest difference is that Gunnar was a very good SS/3B, and Mayo is a questionable 3B. None of this means I think Mayo isn’t ready for a call up.  He’s ready enough.   I’m anxious to see how he’ll do vs. major league pitching, whenever Elias is ready to pull the trigger.      
    • Tony what’s an example of a controllable arm you would consider Holliday for? My instinct is one of the Seattle starters (Kirby or Gilbert) or Skubal.
    • I hope so.  I just don't see how they could do it so quickly.  Again, I'd love to be wrong.   Don't let the door hit ya, CB Bucknor.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now