Has Buck done a good job of managing the 1B/COF/DH situation?

Frobby

I get that Duke didn't exactly give Buck the best of options, but having SO many outfielders on the team and trying to juggle playing time amongst them all has hurt ALL of them, in my opinion. I would have stuck with a couple guys and let them play. At this point, barring any trades, I put Davis back at first and run with Nolan in right and Lough in left. I truly believe of the bunch, Nolan could be the most productive by playing every day. As for Lough, even if he struggles, he gives us the best defense of the bunch and will earn his keep with defense alone. But I truly believe Lough could be a decent offensive player if given the chance to play.

So to answer the question...I believe Buck has juggled the guys too much.

I think Buck was convinced before spring training started that not bringing Nick back was a mistake. That may have colored his whole approach to the situation. What specifically he should have done differently, I couldn't tell you.

I think Buck was convinced before spring training started that not bringing Nick back was a mistake. That may have colored his whole approach to the situation. What specifically he should have done differently, I couldn't tell you.

I really don't think Buck would tank a season because his pal Nicky wasn't brought back.

Plus let's not forget a deal was in place for Nick but he took the extra money and longer term contract to go to Atlanta.

I get that Duke didn't exactly give Buck the best of options, but having SO many outfielders on the team and trying to juggle playing time amongst them all has hurt ALL of them, in my opinion. I would have stuck with a couple guys and let them play. At this point, barring any trades, I put Davis back at first and run with Nolan in right and Lough in left. I truly believe of the bunch, Nolan could be the most productive by playing every day. As for Lough, even if he struggles, he gives us the best defense of the bunch and will earn his keep with defense alone. But I truly believe Lough could be a decent offensive player if given the chance to play.

So to answer the question...I believe Buck has juggled the guys too much.

I agree about Lough, he only has 115 abs. I've been saying it all year, I'd play him every day for a month and let him succeed or fail. Playing every third day is a very hard thing to do.

I agree about Lough, he only has 115 abs. I've been saying it all year, I'd play him every day for a month and let him succeed or fail. Playing every third day is a very hard thing to do.

I'm with you. Given the other options we're throwing out there, I'd rather have above average speed, above average defense, below average hitting than Snider or Parmelee at first (for Davis). I honestly think Lough would start hitting if he had consistent playing time.

I think we stayed too long with Snider and Parmalee. Davis playing in RF continues to baffle me(clear his head? what does that mean? does he not have to think in RF?).Hes back at 1b today.I think there was far too many moves in the OF and not nearly enough production from anyone. "We are going to be as good as we are capable of being"?Buck Showalter. Thats still kindve a vague statement don't you think?

I think they went with the theory that it's easier to find a 1B than a RF'er. Plus it showed off Davis's versatility for a trade.

Hard to make chicken salad out of chicken.........well, you know the rest.

The talent simply is not there to win consistently this year.

That's on no one but duquette. Kind of wish he would have gone to Toronto and we would have received some sort of compensation for him.

Instead we are stuck with him and the AAAA roster he's cobbled together at the last second.

Bargain bin hunting didn't work this year. We missed our window and I couldn't possibly be more disappointed in how things have worked out.

I think they went with the theory that it's easier to find a 1B than a RF'er. Plus it showed off Davis's versatility for a trade.

Don't forget, Davis is also tied for the all-time best ERA and the all-time best winning percentage as a pitcher. :)

I have quibbled with Buck's failure to pinch hit for Paredes in game situations against left-handed pitchers, and I don't understand why Parmelee has been given so much rope while players like Reimold and Lough can't buy playing time.

But these are second-order problems. The big problem is that the Orioles have only two decent major league hitters (Paredes and Davis) to cover four positions where you expect to get major offensive production. That's on the players and the GM, not the manager.

Archived