Is Bako really that bad?

Frobby

No, what is ridiculous is you trying to justify him because other teams have a bad backup.

I am not trying to justify Bako. I am just raising a question.

See, SG, I am not like you. I don't quickly form opinions on players I have barely ever seen.

If you had asked me, on November 1, whether there was a major league player named Paul Bako, I wouldn't have known the answer. So I have zero opinion of him.

But I do have this opinion: I believe that the people in the Orioles front office can read. I believe they can look up Paul Bako's OPS and compare it with the OPS of other available back-up catchers. And so if they sign him up pretty quickly, despite the fact that his OPS is pretty low, I will assume that they have a reason.

Now, whether that reason is a GOOD reason or not, remains to be seen. And I need to watch Paul Bako play for a while before I can have any opinion on that one way or the other.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In the first game of the year for Norfolk, House played DH. That should tell you something about his defensive abilities.
I'd like some first-hand evidence that he's a terrible catcher, and not just take the Orioles' word for it. Their offseason moves and roster decisions haven't exactly awarded them the benefit of the doubt.

Geronimo Gil had a fantastic arm, but couldn't prevent passed balls to save his life. What if House had those skills reversed (good at passed balls, bad at throwing), plus posting an .800 OPS? Would that make him worthy? Where is the tipping point here? At what point does Bako's horrid bat outweigh whatever nebulous effects he may or may not have on the staff?

EDIT: Remember, we have two lefties in the rotation who can at least keep the running game honest. We could make sure that House only catches Loewen and Bedard, and/or only against poor running teams (e.g. Not Tampa Bay).

I am not trying to justify Bako. I am just raising a question.

See, SG, I am not like you. I don't quickly form opinions on players I have barely ever seen.

If you had asked me, on November 1, whether there was a major league player named Paul Bako, I wouldn't have known the answer. So I have zero opinion of him.

But I do have this opinion: I believe that the people in the Orioles front office can read. I believe they can look up Paul Bako's OPS and compare it with the OPS of other available back-up catchers. And so if they sign him up pretty quickly, despite the fact that his OPS is pretty low, I will assume that they have a reason.

Now, whether that reason is a GOOD reason or not, remains to be seen. And I need to watch Paul Bako play for a while before I can have any opinion on that one way or the other.

You need to see him play to find out if he can hit? You can't look at his career stats and see he is awful with the bat and that that is not changing?

What else do you need to see? His "brilliance" behind the plate? :rolleyes:

I think you're measuring the wrong stat. Bako is on this team for defensive purposes. So, consider all the factors that make up a defensive catcher and compare him to the others.

Don't be ridiculous, here at the OH(the Institute for Advanced Baseball Thinking)the only position with less defensive significance is DH. Clearly the chief resposibility for a a back up C is to hit.

You need to see him play to find out if he can hit? You can't look at his career stats and see he is awful with the bat and that that is not changing?
...But yet, he DOESN'T need to see House to know that he's "terrible" at catcher. Seems like that should be reversed, no? Defense is a far more subjective thing than offense, Frobby, and you know that.

Don't be ridiculous, here at the OH(the Institute for Advanced Baseball Thinking)the only position with less defensive significance is DH. Clearly the chief resposibility for a a back up C is to hit.
So far, Bako has NOT been good defensively. That could change over time, but he hasn't shown me anything yet.

I'd like some first-hand evidence that he's a terrible catcher, and not just take the Orioles' word for it. Their offseason moves and roster decisions haven't exactly awarded them the benefit of the doubt.

Geronimo Gil had a fantastic arm, but couldn't prevent passed balls to save his life. What if House had those skills reversed (good at passed balls, bad at throwing), plus posting an .800 OPS? Would that make him worthy? Where is the tipping point here? At what point does Bako's horrid bat outweigh whatever nebulous effects he may or may not have on the staff?

EDIT: Remember, we have two lefties in the rotation who can at least keep the running game honest. We could make sure that House only catches Loewen and Bedard, and/or only against poor running teams (e.g. Not Tampa Bay).

If I understand you correctly you feel the FO is remiss in their obligations to the fans because they don't invite us to a special try out day for all players they are thinking about adding to the roster, so they can get our approval first?

If Bako can call a god game, frame pitches well and throw our 40% or better, he's ok with me.
Interesting how 2/3 of those criteria are entirely subjective. How do you intend on measuring those factors? Taking the pitchers' word for it when a reporter asks them, "So, Adam, how is Paul framing pitches out there? Does he call a good game?"?

What are they going to say? "Actually, Amber, Paul Bako sucks. He is the worst catcher I have ever thrown to. I hope he contracts the gout."

If I understand you correctly you feel the FO is remiss in their obligations to the fans because they don't invite us to a special try out day for all players they are thinking about adding to the roster, so they can get our approval first?
*sigh*

Has ANYONE seen House catch a baseball game in person? Preferably since his latest arm surgery? Gordo? Anyone?

*crickets*

Interesting how 2/3 of those criteria are entirely subjective. How do you intend on measuring those factors? Taking the pitchers' word for it when a reporter asks them, "So, Adam, how is Paul framing pitches out there? Does he call a good game?"?

What are they going to say? "Actually, Amber, Paul Bako sucks. He is the worst catcher I have ever thrown to. I hope he contracts the gout."

I suppose the manangement of this team would/should be able to identify whether or not he meets that criteria. Afterall, that's the only reason he is here.

Shhhhhhhhhh, the Oriole talent evaluators are wrong. All of the guys on this board who have never seen House play are right. He is an excellent option. Lets call him up. Maybe he can be as average defensively as Gibbons was in left field the other night. More offense, more offense, back up catchers with superior offense and crappy defense are the lynch pin to a play-off team.
Have you seen House play? If so, what is your analysis of his defensive abilities?

I suppose the manangement of this team would/should be able to identify whether or not he meets that criteria. Afterall, that's the only reason he is here.
And if he doesn't, do you think that the FO will release him, or will he be kept around to "justify his contract"?

So, you're also discounting my opinion. I watched him in ST and thought he was very, very poor overall. I rated all the catchers based on what I saw in a thread just last week. I guess you can discount my opinion. I'm just a nobody. But I would think it might mean a little bit if it confirms what should be very clear by the Orioles' actions. They don't think he is qualified to be the primary back up catcher on a major league roster.
I don't remember seeing that thread, do you have a link? Did you elaborate on what exactly makes him a bad catcher (e.g. bad pitch-framing, bad game-calling, poor arm, all of the above)?

But OH isn't the only group criticizing the roster here, several news outlets with folks actually connected to the game have questioned if we have the worst bench of all time... If you only want to put your stock in insiders, then there you go.

For that matter, why would we EVER blindly defer to the Orioles front office and management? Sure they work for the O's, but I'm sure every single poster here has had an idiot for a boss before. Talent doesn't always rise to the top, it's more often than not those who can suck up and pass the buck. Now, I don't want to apply personal experience to the Orioles: that would be too depressing, but to a group of intelligent individuals like ourselves, we do not have to accept, "the front office said so" as a valid argument anymore.

Ok- with that off my chest: I don't really mind Bako that much at all, but if he's that good of a defensive catcher than he needs to start showing it soon. That passed ball when he thought it was a foul tip a couple of games ago that allowed a run to score was embarassing.

Archived