Baltimore Business Journal: Orioles plan major upgrades for Camden Yards

fansince1988

Nothing wrong at all. I love the park as is, too. This was just ten minutes of doodling on my part. But sometimes if someone says in an article that changes are in store, it makes the wheels turn for a few minutes and maybe makes for some interesting water cooler discussion. I have about as much influence as a flea. I can barely afford to go to the games as is. I'm lucky to have a wife who loves baseball, too.

My main thought was just to block The Hilton and additionally make Camden Station more visible with one move. The Sun Clock could just as easily move with the scoreboard and retain the rustic charm. Just my quick photoshop draft effort left it where it appears to be on the warehouse roof. As Weams said, another smaller auxiliary scoreboard like at Citi Field could be on the far, far right where the deck ends, to right of seats past the flag court to aid those not able to see the moved board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's still cool, it just takes something away from the ballpark, I can't put my finger on it. It'll be interesting to see what the O's do with the renovations.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's still cool, it just takes something away from the ballpark, I can't put my finger on it. It'll be interesting to see what the O's do with the renovations.

I think what's missing in my mockup was a lack of a centerpiece which the scoreboard provided. But I think Camden Station is as good as the scoreboard as a centerpiece. Every ballpark needs scoreboard, but not every park has the view Camden Yards has. My main idea was getting rid of that horrible institution-like (jail or hospital) Hilton from the sight lines. I had more time today and did two more mockups, keeping the scoreboard as is (Sun clock intact) but moving it in front of the Hilton as before and adding more CF bar seats where the scoreboard was. I added the auxiliary scoreboard past right field in both as well.

Again, just some fun I had with some cut and paste. Probably the grown up version of Legos. Not to be taken too seriously. Scroll right for each to see the auxiliary scoreboard in right.

CamdenYardsMod2.jpg

and pretty much the same, but using a different background.

CamdenYardsMod3Web.jpg

I think what's missing in my mockup was a lack of a centerpiece which the scoreboard provided. But I think Camden Station is as good as the scoreboard as a centerpiece. Every ballpark needs scoreboard, but not every park has the view Camden Yards has. My main idea was getting rid of that horrible institution-like (jail or hospital) Hilton from the sight lines. I had more time today and did two more mockups, keeping the scoreboard as is (Sun clock intact) but moving it in front of the Hilton as before and adding more CF bar seats where the scoreboard was. I added the auxiliary scoreboard past right field in both as well.

Again, just some fun I had with some cut and paste. Probably the grown up version of Legos. Not to be taken too seriously. Scroll right for each to see the auxiliary scoreboard in right.

CamdenYardsMod2.jpg

CamdenYardsMod3Web.jpg

That actually doesn't look half bad, and no ugly Hilton! City is losing $50 million a year on that thing, what I would propose they do is turn it into player/staff (both Ravens and Orioles) lodging, or make it a Baltimore sports themed hotel, or turn it into a fan village like the Cardinals have in St. Louis, instead of that giant concrete monstrosity that is the hilton.

That actually doesn't look half bad, and no ugly Hilton! City is losing $50 million a year on that thing, what I would propose they do is turn it into player/staff (both Ravens and Orioles) lodging, or make it a Baltimore sports themed hotel, or turn it into a fan village like the Cardinals have in St. Louis, instead of that giant concrete monstrosity that is the hilton.

Nice ideas. I had no idea of the financial issue there. Hopefully something creative or community enhancing will come of it.

I just wish they had not built it so high. It really spoiled a unique view with a very generic and uninteresting structure that dominates the landscape. That greenish blue hotel (or whatever it is to the left of it behind the upper decks is infinitely more interesting and stylish.

CamdenYardsMod2.jpg

CamdenYardsMod3Web.jpg

This is a great idea. Problem I see is moving the jumbotron over to the left to mask the Hilton abomination is persons on the 3rd baseline and in left field will not have a view.

But I still think the idea of moving it over is great.

This is a great idea. Problem I see is moving the jumbotron over to the left to mask the Hilton abomination is persons on the 3rd baseline and in left field will not have a view.

But I still think the idea of moving it over is great.

True. And thanks. But after folks mentioned that, it's why I put an auxiliary board to the right of the flag court behind Sec. 1, 3 and 5 for those folks to see the same info. Was probably hard to see as you have to scroll to see it if you're reading on the web version of OH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you and me both. I'd just be happy if they paid for it, and won a WS. Sometimes we can't all be happy and have nice things though.

I don't care what they pay for. Really. Nothing. Not important to me. I just want the club and it's fans to experience joy. I'm not really interested in anyone else. They can look out for their own interest. It is you all that I wish to see blessed in great satisfaction.

I don't care what they pay for. Really. Nothing. Not important to me. I just want the club and it's fans to experience joy. I'm not really interested in anyone else. They can look out for their own interest. It is you all that I wish to see blessed in great satisfaction.

Ok then. I am happy in life, and then there's the ball team :wedge:

Archived