Has our competitive window closed???

DocJJ

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We'll be ok, I think this is the year we pull out all the stops and at least make the playoffs

No disrespect but your dreamin' ! The exodus will continue will Chen, Davis, Wieters, and perhaps O'Day.

The will be replaced by AAAA players, reclamation project, and perhaps a minor trade for a guy like Snider or De Aza. I have no such proof that the Orioles will spend.

No disrespect but your dreamin' ! The exodus will continue will Chen, Davis, Wieters, and perhaps O'Day.

The will be replaced by AAAA players, reclamation project, and perhaps a minor trade for a guy like Snider or De Aza. I have no such proof that the Orioles will spend.

Who says we need to spend to win? remember the Oakland A's when they were good?

Who says we need to spend to win? remember the Oakland A's when they were good?

They have one thing we don't...a quality farm system. If you expect to lose the four free agents and not replace them and we will do better than this year minus our best power hitter, pitcher, and nonclosing relief pitcher your kidding yourself. Sorry to say

I believe the Orioles will spend most of the money that was paid to the departing free agents in 2015. That should buy us a couple of quality players. Whether they will actually increase the payroll by enough to replace the free agents we lose with players of equal value is doubtful. That would require about a $15-20 mm payroll increase, after a season in which attendance was down and there was no playoff revenue. That seems unlikely. So Dan will need better luck with some of his depth signings than he had in 2015.

High OBP players aren't cheap to obtain and don't grow on trees. Davis had a .361 OBP, 29th among qualifiers in MLB. We'll be hard pressed to find a player who matches that, even with far less power.

You also would agree that a high OBP with less power is way less valuable, even without the Ks?

They have one thing we don't...a quality farm system. If you expect to lose the four free agents and not replace them and we will do better than this year minus our best power hitter, pitcher, and nonclosing relief pitcher your kidding yourself. Sorry to say

I thought Beane traded off his good players when he tried to win in 2014.

You also would agree that a high OBP with less power is way less valuable, even without the Ks?

Depends on a lot of factors. Equal OBP, way less power, at 1B/DH/LF is way less valuable. But I think Gordo was suggesting we might get two high OBP guys, or one high OBP guy and a solid starting pitcher, for what it costs to sign Davis. I'm not sure that's true if you're talking about an OBP in Davis' range.

High OBP players aren't cheap to obtain and don't grow on trees. Davis had a .361 OBP, 29th among qualifiers in MLB. We'll be hard pressed to find a player who matches that, even with far less power.
Zobrist, Span, Fowler,Morneau, Jaso are all decent OBP LH bats and won't cost that much in years and AAV.

He went for broke, now he rebuilds and then gets good again. That's what Oakland does

My point exactly ...first our farm team stinks....second we tried to add at the deadline when they should've sold the guys they know they are not bringing back. That would've helped a rebuild.

I'm advocating in another thread to replace CD with Morneau if we don't resign him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even if you get a healthy Morneau he really only good for about 130 games. If you look over the last five years it's hardly a sure thing. I might be willing as an inexpensive DH to try to keep the bat in the lineup. The contract probably precludes that so NO IMO.

Even if you get a healthy Morneau he really only good for about 130 games. If you look over the last five years it's hardly a sure thing. I might be willing as an inexpensive DH to try to keep the bat in the lineup. The contract probably precludes that so NO IMO.
What do you think he'll be getting for a contract? He's making 6.25 M now.

Archived