Has our competitive window closed???

DocJJ

We don't disagree. You made an assertion that was incorrect. It's not my opinion, it's a fact. The Orioles were in first place after 75 games, and they were 5 games behind the division-leading Yankees as late as August 21st. They were not buried in the division early, which is what you said.

The Orioles' had a mediocre season, which nobody (including myself) is/was disputing.

You're like Chris Collinsworth and/or any other stubborn sports commentator who makes a mistake, even a simple mistake, and then immediately talks about something else to subterfuge their error.

Wow. They were 5 games our on August 21. AND 10 GAMES OUT ON AUGUST 29.

They were 7 games out on July 28. It took them 3 weeks to gain 2 games and they choked it up in 8 games and went on their longest losing streak of the season

They were not competitive. They were not contending. And they had regressed from the previous season

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. They were 5 games our on August 21. AND 10 GAMES OUT ON AUGUST 29.

They were 7 games out on July 28. It took them 3 weeks to gain 2 games and they choked it up in 8 games and went on their longest losing streak of the season

They were not competitive. They were not contending. And they had regressed from the previous season

I have never said otherwise, and you can see that if you had bothered to read my last post:

Agreed.

They were a mediocre team that benefited from being in a division of parity through early August before the Blue Jays blew them away over the final 2 months of the season.

But as usual, you can't help but pass some more of your stinky gas, just for the sake of doing so.

I have never said otherwise, and you can see that if you had bothered to read my last post:

But as usual, you can't help but pass some more of your stinky gas, just for the sake of doing so.

You sounded so pleased that the Orioles were in first place after 75 games, as if that means anything. The fact that the Orioles had the worst record in the league against teams with winning records means that any arbitrary date you select to make a point is suspect and lacks context.

The Cubs got swept in the NLCS like the O's got swept last year. The difference is the Cubs have an ownership and GM committed to improving and winning. The Orioles showed their fan base that improving and winning are not priorities only lucky by products of maximizing profits

You sounded so pleased that the Orioles were in first place after 75 games, as if that means anything.

No, I DID NOT sound so pleased about the 41-34 start.

Again, if you had bothered reading what I had written previously in my discussion with the other poster, you would have seen that.

The other poster specifically said that the Orioles were buried early in the division. I pointed out that they were not, and the record shows that they weren't. Not necessarily because they were a good team, but more because of the parity/mediocrity within the division that existed until the final 2 months of the season.

I would ask you to try to be more informed (or at the very least, read the posts that you are commenting on to see the context in which they were written) before sounding off, but I know that that is too much to ask of you. You're a malcontent that fans the flames at every opportunity, and you aren't going to change.

The starting pitching was bad. Pretty bad.

I am not sure who was really expecting Norris to repeat and Tillman to improve.

They are who they are.

If we don't improve the SP then the window is closed IMO.

I was expecting. Norris and Tillman to have career average years. If they had we would have made the playoffs. Not an unrealistic expectation for a player in his prime.

I knew pretty early that they wouldn't catch the Yankees...

Knew is the key word. You knew the future because you'd decided on the narrative before it happened. But many people in prior years knew that the 2012 Orioles would never compete, and they knew that the 2014 Orioles were nothing at all like a 96-win team that would lap the division. That your crystal ball worked this year doesn't mean you really have a crystal ball. You didn't know anything about the future. You suspected that the team wouldn't play all that well based on the delta between who you wanted them to sign and who they actually signed, and this year the outcomes happened to match your discontent.

The fact that the Orioles had the worst record in the league against teams with winning records means that any arbitrary date you select to make a point is suspect and lacks context.

You keep repeating this like it means something. The Orioles were 32-46 against winning AL teams, but that breaks down into 1-13 against the Twins and Rangers and 31-34 against everyone else. They were one game under .500 against the Royals, one game under against the Astros. They won the season series against the Yanks, the Red Sox, the Rays, and were 8-11 against the Blue Jays. So against their most relevant competition they had a winning record, and did reasonably well against the AL playoff teams.

The Cubs got swept in the NLCS like the O's got swept last year. The difference is the Cubs have an ownership and GM committed to improving and winning. The Orioles showed their fan base that improving and winning are not priorities only lucky by products of maximizing profits

The Cubs also have a vastly larger population to draw revenues from than the Orioles. It's funny how "commitment to winning" so closely correlates to revenues which is highly dependent on where MLB put franchises over the past 144 years.

The Cubs also have a vastly larger population to draw revenues from than the Orioles. It's funny how "commitment to winning" so closely correlates to revenues which is highly dependent on where MLB put franchises over the past 144 years.

I want to go back in time. Move the Orioles to Washington and compete like we should have been able for the great Free Agents. And show our commitment to winning. I mean, it's the same market. It's a compromise we can all live with to be awesome.

I want to go back in time. Move the Orioles to Washington and compete like we should have been able for the great Free Agents. And show our commitment to winning. I mean, it's the same market. It's a compromise we can all live with to be awesome.

If we're going to go all Tardis on history I'm putting the national capital in Baltimore in the 1790s so Charm City gets all that federal revenue which will eventually translate into all the free agents. Washington never exists, and Georgetown and Alexandria are just inconveniently distant suburbs of Baltimore. The city got a National Association franchise in 1871, then was a charter member of the NL in 1876, and has been a big-market dynasty off and on ever since. Unfortunately Brooks signs with the Kansas City A's instead of the Orioles because he figures he'll never break through the logjam of great prospects in the vast Oriole farm system.

If we're going to go all Tardis on history I'm putting the national capital in Baltimore in the 1790s so Charm City gets all that federal revenue which will eventually translate into all the free agents. Washington never exists, and Georgetown and Alexandria are just inconveniently distant suburbs of Baltimore. The city got a National Association franchise in 1871, then was a charter member of the NL in 1876, and has been a big-market dynasty off and on ever since. Unfortunately Brooks signs with the Kansas City A's instead of the Orioles because he figures he'll never break through the logjam of great prospects in the vast Oriole farm system.

With the 73 WS rings accumulated, because of his great character, Baltimore built Brooks a home in Lutherville anyway and a statue on every street corner to commemorate what might have been. He is hired as the Orioles radio announcer along with Vin Scully to to broadcasts alongside for 73 seasons as well.

Ohh... I just thought of two things. First, Baltimore might have become so large and sprawling and rich that it is a two-team metropolis. That could hurt the O's in the long run. Also, being the capital one of those franchises might be named the Senators. The Baltimore Senators.

Ohh... I just thought of two things. First, Baltimore might have become so large and sprawling and rich that it is a two-team metropolis. That could hurt the O's in the long run. Also, being the capital one of those franchises might be named the Senators. The Baltimore Senators.

Na, the would never have put the second team in Baltimore. Maybe Reston.

Archived