Magazine Thoughts?

DREKTUNES

Considering subscribing to SI. Heyman can be a bit of a tool, but I like Verducci, and the Missus would love the Giants gear :)

Any thoughts? Suggestions for something else? How's the Sporting News? I enjoy their Baseball preview. How much baseball coverage could I expect?

And ESPN The Magazine? No, no I don't think so.

And, you know, any baseball-centric magazines? Baseball Digest worth the time?

Definitely no to ESPN the magazine. Someone got me a subscription for Christmas and it goes right in the garbage when it comes in. I also get baseball digest, it's not much for current stuff like stats or anything, but the feature articles are pretty cool and I always enjoy taking the baseball Quizzes.

The Sporting News is my choice. It was baseball-only for about a hundred years, but now they've added other stuff.

Figures I'd pick the wrong century to start reading. I don't like other sports, so I just get annoyed and glaze over when they come up. Hence my hesitance to get SI.

And could I ask for a lil more detail on Baseball Digest? What kind of features??

Considering subscribing to SI. Heyman can be a bit of a tool, but I like Verducci, and the Missus would love the Giants gear :)

Any thoughts? Suggestions for something else? How's the Sporting News? I enjoy their Baseball preview. How much baseball coverage could I expect?

And ESPN The Magazine? No, no I don't think so.

And, you know, any baseball-centric magazines? Baseball Digest worth the time?

Man, Baseball Digest was the best when I was a kid. The beast was the April issue when they would have the rosters for every team. This was before the age of the internet, and it was the best source of that kind of information. I may have to look into getting it for nostalgic purposes.

I got SI for free when I signed up for MLB Audio. Some issues I don't even look at, but some have really good feature articles.

I must admit I haven't bought it in a couple years, but USA Today Sports Weekly was my top choice. It used to be Baseball Weekly, but they incorporated other sports to improve (by improve, I think they meant ruin) it. Nevertheless, you get in depth coverage of every team, plus some minors, by people that actually follow them.

That reminds me, Baseball America might be your best bet, though it's heavy on the not-quite-to-the-majors yet angle.

I do a lot of research with old issues of The Sporting News. Prior to about 15-20 years ago, they lapped the field. Now there's just not a lot of depth like the good old days.

ESPN the Magazine hurt my eyes, which was funny considering it always seemed like it was designed to be looked at rather than read.

I never regretted having Sports Illustrated, though if you don't like other sports you may have a problem. The thing with SI was I always found at least one article per issue that I enjoyed, and it was often phenomenal.

I must admit I haven't bought it in a couple years, but USA Today Sports Weekly was my top choice. It used to be Baseball Weekly, but they incorporated other sports to improve (by improve, I think they meant ruin) it. Nevertheless, you get in depth coverage of every team, plus some minors, by people that actually follow them.

That reminds me, Baseball America might be your best bet, though it's heavy on the not-quite-to-the-majors yet angle.

I do a lot of research with old issues of The Sporting News. Prior to about 15-20 years ago, they lapped the field. Now there's just not a lot of depth like the good old days.

ESPN the Magazine hurt my eyes, which was funny considering it always seemed like it was designed to be looked at rather than read.

I never regretted having Sports Illustrated, though if you don't like other sports you may have a problem. The thing with SI was I always found at least one article per issue that I enjoyed, and it was often phenomenal.

Thanks for your take. Got a sample issue of Baseball America, but I'm not really at the 'not ready for the big show' player interest yet. It may come in time.

I ended up with a pretty grreat collection of Verducci articles from SI. He's the main reason I'm considering subscribing. And that stuff for the Missus.

I get SI and my subscription for Sports Weekly just ran out.

I like Sports Illustrated. Verducci is good. I agree with Boom Boom that theres usually at least one really good article per issue. I like the way they do their season previews too.

I'm not renewing Sports Weekly, but its not that bad. It was alot better when it was just Baseball Weekly. I used to read a bunch of the stuff, but lately I've found myself flipping through and being done with it only reading a few things.

I used to get Baseball Digest. They had some cool articles and a neat letters section. But it was just too far behind for my liking.

The photography in SI is spectacular, and I don't just mean the swimsuit issue. It's often worth it for the pictures alone. They have many excellent writers and features. I stopped subscribing only because I don't have enough time to both log onto Hangout pretty much every day and devote a couple of hours a week to reading SI.

Archived