2016 Los Angeles Dodgers

OFFNY

After watching Brandon McCarthy throw something like his sixth pitch behind a batter over two innings, Vin Scully told a story about the day Rex Barney suddenly went from being a stud to not being able to throw a strike....or get remotely near the plate for that matter. The manager had the bat boy bring his office bottle to the dugout in an attempt to calm down Barney.

Here is a nice bio about Barney:

http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/f0e1d9d4

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Puig is apparently available to anyone who'll pick up his contract. From Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe:

Yasiel Puig ?is considered toxic at the moment? and it seems unlikely that another team will take him off the Dodgers? hands. One Dodgers official isn?t entirely closing the door on Puig remaining in L.A., saying ?At some point, the talent, the maturity is going to take hold. Someone will benefit from it. We hope it?s us, but it?s hard to envision it right now.?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/Dodgers">@Dodgers</a>: 7 HR so far today, T-most by a team in a game this season<br><br>It's their most since hitting 7 on 9/18/06 - <a href="https://t.co/nMBrEdAjmJ">https://t.co/nMBrEdAjmJ</a></p>— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) <a href="

">August 22, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Dodgers had their first 4-HR inning since the famous game on 9/18/06 vs SD. Down 4 in the 9th, then went back-to-back-to-back-to-back...</p>— Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) <a href="

">August 22, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• 2 weeks later...

Kershaw is nearing return and heading out on a minor league rehab assignment. This time of year - I assume that would mean he's going to show and start a minor league playoff game somewhere? Since they are building him back up to rejoin their rotation - I would he'd be throwing 60-70 pitches or so. That's a pretty tough draw for some poor team in a Minor League Playoff series. That would have to be one of the greatest ringers brought in of all time

o

When Clayton Kershaw went down with an injury, the Dodgers were 8 games behind the Giants.

Since then, the Dodgers have gained 10 games on the Giants, and lead them by 2 games.

With Kershaw, the Dodgers were 41-36.

Without him, they have gone 32-22.

Who would have guessed that a Clayton Kershaw-less Dodgers team, who was just a few games above .500 (41-36) while he was pitching, would gain as much ground as they have without him over such a long span (more than 2 months) ???

The Giants, for their part, had the best record in baseball when Kershaw went down at 49-28. Since then, they have gone 22-32. Who would have guessed that that would happen, also ???

o

Yasiel Puig will Rejoin Dodgers after One-Month Stint in Minors

(ESPN.com News Services)

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/17451063/yasiel-puig-join-los-angeles-dodgers-friday-vs-san-diego-padres

In 19 games with AAA-Oklahoma City, Puig hit 4 home runs, 3 doubles, and batted .348 with a .400 OBP.

Prior to that, Puig hit 1 home run and batted .414 with a .533 OBP in 5 games for Advanced-A Rancho Cucamonga.

Overall, he hit 5 home runs, 3 doubles, and batted .358 with a .422 OBP in 90 plate appearances in his one-month stint for the AAA and Advanced-A teams combined.

o

When Clayton Kershaw went down with an injury, the Dodgers were 8 games behind the Giants.

Since then, the Dodgers have gained 10 games on the Giants, and lead them by 2 games.

With Kershaw, the Dodgers were 41-36.

Without him, they have gone 32-22.

Who would have guessed that a Clayton Kershaw-less Dodgers team, who was just a few games above .500 (41-36) while he was pitching, would gain as much ground as they have without him over such a long span (more than 2 months) ???

The Giants, for their part, had the best record in baseball when Kershaw went down at 49-28. Since then, they have gone 22-32. Who would have guessed that that would happen, also ???

Now, they're getting him back.

Clayton Kershaw to Return to Dodgers Rotation on Friday

(By Nic Reiner)

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/17462159/clayton-kershaw-los-angeles-dodgers-return-friday-miami-marlins

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Friends:

Many years ago, a little red-headed boy was walking home from school, passing a Chinese laundry and stopped to see the score of a World Series game posted in the window. The Yankees beat the Giants, 18-4, on October 2, 1936. The boy’s reaction was pity for the Giants and he became a rabid Giants’ fan from that day forward, until the joyous moment when he was hired to broadcast Brooklyn Dodgers games in 1950. Ironically, October 2, 2016 will mark my final broadcast of a Giants-Dodgers game. It will also be exactly 80 years to the day since that little boy fell in love with baseball.

God has been very generous to that little boy, allowing him to fulfill a dream of becoming a broadcaster and to live it for 67 years. Since 1958, you and I have grown up together through the good times and the bad. The transistor radio is what bound us together. Were you at the Coliseum when we sang “Happy Birthday” to an umpire? Were you among the crowd that groaned at one of my puns? Did you kindly laugh at one of my little jokes? Did I put you to sleep with the transistor radio tucked under your pillow?

You were simply always there for me. I have always felt that I needed you more than you needed me and that holds true to this very day. I have been privileged to share in your passion and love for this great game.

My family means everything to me and I will now be able to share life’s experiences with them. My wife, Sandi, our children, Kevin, Todd, Erin, Kelly, and Catherine, along with our entire family will join me in sharing God’s blessings of that precious gift of time.

You folks have truly been “The Wind Beneath My Wings” and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for joining me on this incredible journey of 67 years of broadcasting Dodger baseball.

Heartfelt Thanks,

Vin Scully

Because of Scully, I would not mind terribly if the Dodgers won the World Series this year, even though I generally root against the high payroll teams and historically haven't liked the Dodgers. He's a class act and a national treasure and it would be cool to see him close his career calling a World Series victory.

Because of Scully, I would not mind terribly if the Dodgers won the World Series this year, even though I generally root against the high payroll teams and historically haven't liked the Dodgers. He's a class act and a national treasure and it would be cool to see him close his career calling a World Series victory.

Scully announced earlier this month that he won't be calling the Dodgers' playoff games this year. He'll end his career with the end of the regular season.

Sad for the fans, but apparently it's what he wants.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">?<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TeAmamosLA?src=hash">#TeAmamosLA</a>! ?Somos campeones! <a href="https://t.co/PxcTdfduJL">pic.twitter.com/PxcTdfduJL</a></p>— Los Dodgers (@LosDodgers) <a href="

">September 26, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">So much love. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/VIN?src=hash">#VIN</a> <a href="https://t.co/PGmXicL6nt">pic.twitter.com/PGmXicL6nt</a></p>— MLB GIFS (@MLBGIFs) <a href="

">September 26, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived