Who is the better fit for the O's? Outfielder

Big O

Reddick, Markakis, Either or one of the Rockies outfielders?

Who is the best fit?

Is this a better route than filling the last outfield spot with a FA?

If not, who do you like on that end?

David Murphy, Cepedes, Pearce, fowler, dominic brown, Ryan Raburn or Byrd?

Or is it someone I didn't list?

Or screw the whole getting another outfielder thing, we are going with Alvarez and Davis and/or Trumbo in right will have to do.

What say you?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cespedes makes the lineup scary...does not cost a pick, requires no players be sent anywhere from our thin minor league system, and you don't have to assume any ugly contract that requires a bounce back season to happen. And he's better than any of the mediocre free agents left.

Who is the best fit?

Or screw the whole getting another outfielder thing, we are going with Alvarez and Davis and/or Trumbo in right will have to do.

What say you?

Reddick was an interesting idea, but he's signed again with the A's:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/01/athletics-avoid-arbitration-with-josh-reddick.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MlbTradeRumors+%28MLB+Trade+Rumors%29

That doesn't really mean much. He was under team control and was offered arbitration but they settled before it came to that. He could still be traded (though Beane has shot that down on several occassions).

Sure I'll come up with a list, lists are fun. I'll list them regardless of cost.

1. Cespedes - offense, defense, good splits, clutchiness, whole package.

2. Reddick - lefty, solid bat, really good defense, still in prime.

3. Gonzalez - lefty, power bat, some concern about home/road splits.

4. Fowler - switch, OBP, plays center - may translate well to RF.

5. Ethier - lefty, strong hitter, fairly good defense, extreme L-R splits, slight age concern.

6. Dickerson - lefty, power bat, young, iffy defense, concern about home/road splits.

7. Blackmon - lefty, decent bat, can play CF, concern about home/road splits.

8. Joyce - lefty, strong hitter, can DH, probably needs platooning, injured 2015.

9. Venable - lefty, decent bat, very good glove, poor 2015, slight age concern.

10. Markakis - lefty, OBP, durable, no power, poor glove.

11. Murphy - lefty, decent bat, needs platooning, mediocre glove, age concern.

12. Byrd - old but aging well, good hitter, fair defense.

13. Jackson - good glove, can play CF, speed, below average bat.

14. Pearce - versatile, hard worker, wrong platoon half, injury concerns.

15. Raburn - volatile bat, more of a DH, not full time, age concern.

16. Brown - lefty, young, poor hitter, poor defender. AAAA

I think between Reimold/Alvarez/Hoes/Rickard/Urutia, we can figure out RF. There are some young, talented players there. Don't give away any more prospects or excessive money for another mediocre OFer. Focus on starting pitching.

And yes, I know the whole "throw a bunch of pieces at the wall and hope something sticks" strategy failed last year for our COF, but the difference now is that we have Davis and Trumbo. Worst case scenario, they could just start playing Davis in RF a lot of the time. No?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think between Reimold/Alvarez/Hoes/Rickard/Urutia, we can figure out RF. There are some young, talented players there. Don't give away any more prospects or excessive money for another mediocre OFer. Focus on starting pitching.

And yes, I know the whole "throw a bunch of pieces at the wall and hope something sticks" strategy failed last year for our COF, but the difference now is that we have Davis and Trumbo. Worst case scenario, they could just start playing Davis in RF a lot of the time. No?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They had Davis and Delmn last year. Davis doesn't want to play the outfield.

Charlie Blackmon. He would add another dimension to this offense. He can run. Blackmon's ranked in the top 10 in stolen bases the last two years in the National League. He's left-handed hitter so he would add more balance to a lineup filled with right-handed hitters. He also has some pop as well hitting 19 HRs in 2014 and 17 HRs last year. The question is what will it take to get him?

Who is the best fit?

What say you?

I had wanted FO to get a good outfielder. Don't know if they have the money to

do that now.

Murphy and Nolan could provide some decent pop from RF I guess. Other than that I imagine they will roll with what they have. I can't see them signing Cespedes after signing Davis.

That's exactly what don't want to see is Nolan. Need to get better players for the

team. I'd rather they sign Nick than just throw 3A fodder out there. IMO

Of the names mentioned, Cespedes would be great if money is no object, but I can't see the O's going there after spending big on Davis and (to a lesser extent) O'Day.

I wonder what A's would be asking for Reddick. Lefty, decent defender, plays RF. We don't really have any players that fit their OBP model, so they would probably be looking at our pitchers. Maybe Wright or Wilson? It would be tough to lose a potential MLB arm for two years of a guy who is not a superstar, but Reddick would be much better than Parra. You would have a reverse of the Coors effect...I could see him putting up 30 HR/.850 OPS in Baltimore. A's have done business with us before.

Sure I'll come up with a list, lists are fun. I'll list them regardless of cost.

1. Cespedes - offense, defense, good splits, clutchiness, whole package.

2. Reddick - lefty, solid bat, really good defense, still in prime.

3. Gonzalez - lefty, power bat, some concern about home/road splits.

4. Fowler - switch, OBP, plays center - may translate well to RF.

5. Ethier - lefty, strong hitter, fairly good defense, extreme L-R splits, slight age concern.

6. Dickerson - lefty, power bat, young, iffy defense, concern about home/road splits.

7. Blackmon - lefty, decent bat, can play CF, concern about home/road splits.

8. Joyce - lefty, strong hitter, can DH, probably needs platooning, injured 2015.

9. Venable - lefty, decent bat, very good glove, poor 2015, slight age concern.

10. Markakis - lefty, OBP, durable, no power, poor glove.

11. Murphy - lefty, decent bat, needs platooning, mediocre glove, age concern.

12. Byrd - old but aging well, good hitter, fair defense.

13. Jackson - good glove, can play CF, speed, below average bat.

14. Pearce - versatile, hard worker, wrong platoon half, injury concerns.

15. Raburn - volatile bat, more of a DH, not full time, age concern.

16. Brown - lefty, young, poor hitter, poor defender. AAAA

I would move Venable down about 20 spots. Poor offensively and defensively for the past 2 years. I cringe every time I see someone mention him as a possibility for the Orioles. I just don't see him bouncing back. I hope for his sake that I am wrong, but please let it be another team that gives him a shot.

Archived