Lets Have Some Fun...

millertime

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I became an Orioles fan in 1992, and that was the season Tim Hulett's son died. So, I always had a soft spot for him.

I always liked the scrappy, under-the-radar guys who had tough journeys before finally finding some short-term big league success. So, players from the mid 2000s like Todd Williams and David Newhan were favorites of mine as well (and coincidentally, I think they were DFAed on the same day in 2007).

Newhan actually left the Orioles after the 2006 season, while Williams hung around until 2007.

Mike Devereaux always looked like he was having a blast. Such an infectious grin on that guy.

I remember Todd Frohwirth once flipping out on an ump after being ejected, stealing my heart in the process.

Harold Baines always fascinateed me when I'd look at the numbers on the back of his trading cards and then back at his slim frame pictured on the front. He just didn't look the part, and the lesson wasn't lost on me.

Gregg Olson. Wild Thing. 'Nuff said.

And of course, the MOOOOSE because what elementary aged kid doesn't love an excuse to yell "moose" at the top of his lungs? ;)

1. Roenicke & Lowenstein - Best platoon system ever

2. Lenny Sakata - Super sub, loved it when he filled in for catcher

3. Greg Olson - Man, what a major league curve he could throw at your head and drop down for a strike,

4. Ben McDonald - Wish his college coach had ruin his arm

5. Rick Dempsey - Best Rain Delay man of all time

6. Floyd Rayford - Sugar Bear! enuf said

7. Mickey Tettleton - Fruitloops Man!

8. Mark Williamson - What a swing man, long relieve, emergency start, was part of a 3 man no-hitter

9. BJ Surhoff - Blue collar no nonsense, get r done type of player.

10. John Shelby - T-Bone!

Man....5 pages and no love for Billy.

Billy Ripken (Cal/Billy is synonymous with "turning 2")

Delino Deshields (went to Seaford HS (DE), about 35 min from me...was headed to Villanova to play PG when he was drafted)

Harold Baines (from St. Michaels, also about 35 minutes from me)

Mike Devereaux

Nate McLouth

Koji miss that guy.....

Davey Johnson (as manager)

Bordick

Orsulak

Harold Reynolds

Delmon Young (that double is my all time favorite baseball memory, I was sitting 2/3 of the way down the LF line about 5 rows back and watched it sail right in front of me....and then when it hit the ground.....chills...always)

Tettleton

Alan Mills

Arthur Rhodes

Moose f'ing Milligan.

Orosco. Had that snapdragon slurve thing that he'd throw. You knew it was coming. I knew it was coming. The batter knew it was coming. Everyone in the entire ballpark knew it was coming and it worked every damn time.

I don't think anyone has said Corey Patterson yet but he was one of my favorites. He could fly. Stole 45 bases (9 caught) for us in 2006 with 16 homers. Could bunt for a base hit. I loved watching that guy. Never lived up to his elite prospect status but when he was here it was easy to see why he was so highly regarded.

Mills. What a badass.

Devereaux. Him and Brady will always be linked in my mind.

Billy Ripken, too. Me and my dad used to call him (jokingly) BIG LUMBER BILL! But I think he was one of the better defenders at 2nd base I've ever seen.

Baines had such a sweet swing, what a professional hitter that guy was.

Eric Davis was a monster that full season he played for us and a joy to watch. To me, he's one of baseball's all time "what if?" questions. Some of his stat lines when he was with the Reds were absolutely absurd. From '86-'88 he averaged 30 homers and 55 steals and a .916 OPS. Dude came back from several injuries and cancer and by the time he got here he was kind of an afterthought but he was still electric for us in 1998.

There are others that other people have mentioned, this is a pretty great thread.

Archived