Rob Manfred: Fours work better than Fives for scheduling

weams

Doesnt work that way. Globe Life Park and AT&T Stadium are both located in Arlington, TX. Dallas and Ft. Worth didn't pay for those stadiums...the city of Arlington did. But both teams are identified with the city of Dallas and people travel from all over the metroplex to attend games. Who benefits? The city of Arlington.

So whether it's San Marcos or some other stretch of land in the area, they would still draw fans from both major cities. I attend at least 30 Rangers games a year and I live almost an hour from Globe Life. They draw 30-40k per game and I can promise you they arent all Arlington residents

You and about seven million other people.

San Antonio and Austin are extremely different places. They have never been part of a "metroplex" that shared a major airport, etc. And the demographics of San Antonio are super, super different than those of San Antonio. A stadium between Austin and San Antonio would be the opposite of the downtown stadiums that MLB has favored since the planning of Camden Yards.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A stadium in SAN MARCOS????? That is not realistic. At all. Comparing the tightly packed populations of the east coast to the area between Austin and San Antonio is complete apples and oranges. MLB is not crazy enough to try that. San Marcos is a very pretty little Texas town on a beautiful little river. But there's nothing but an outlet mall or two for thirty miles.

That's why I suggested that San Marcos wouldn't want it. Had a job not taken me to Tennessee, that's where I would have retired to. Who in San Marcos would want to experience what happened to Austin in the mid-1980's?

City Development. MLB could try and pass it off as that. Did it to Baltimore, thats how we got Camden Yards.

MLB didn't pay for Camden Yards, the state of Maryland (and the city) paid for Camden Yards. If you think the 54,000 people in San Marcos are going to pay for a MLB stadium then you should reconsider recreational drug use. :)

Seriously. There is no way MLB would be dumb enough to consider a team in San Marcos, Texas. For goodness sakes the Oakland Athletics can barely draw people to the west side of the bay!!

MLB didn't pay for Camden Yards, the state of Maryland (and the city) paid for Camden Yards. If you think the 54,000 people in San Marcos are going to pay for a MLB stadium then you should reconsider recreational drug use. :)

Seriously. There is no way MLB would be dumb enough to consider a team in San Marcos, Texas. For goodness sakes the Oakland Athletics can barely draw people to the west side of the bay!!

I think a portion of that is that the Giants are good right now and Oakland's stadium situation is less than pleasant. MLB has a stadium fund now.

Sent from Neverneverland using James Hetfield's voice

That's why I suggested that San Marcos wouldn't want it. Had a job not taken me to Tennessee, that's where I would have retired to. Who in San Marcos would want to experience what happened to Austin in the mid-1980's?

About 10% of the population, all from immigrants from another state who work at Texas State University.

I didn't mean to call you out. The idea is just so nuts that I can't believe anyone brought this up. There is no one there to even pay for a stadium, much less want or not want.

WEST

Northwest

Seattle

San Fran

Colorado

Oakland

Southwest

LA

LA

Arizona

San Diego

South

Houston

Austin

Texas

Atlanta

Midwest

Chicago

Chicago

Milwaukee

Minnesota

EAST

Southeast

Miami

Tampa

Washington

Baltimore

East

NY

NY

Philly

Boston

Great Lakes

Montreal

Detroit

Cleveland

Toronto

Central

Kansas City

St Louis

Cincinnati

Pittsburgh

This would be amazing for the O's.

About 10% of the population, all from immigrants from another state who work at Texas State University.

I didn't mean to call you out. The idea is just so nuts that I can't believe anyone brought this up. There is no one there to even pay for a stadium, much less want or not want.

You didn't call me out. I was the one who initially suggested halfway between San Antoino and Austin was unrealistic. I think the idea of putting an MLB franchise in San Antonio has some merit however.

I don't like the idea of further expansion and four-team divisions. There's too much potential for one division to be really awful while another has three really strong teams. The NFL has some joke team in the playoffs once every couple of years, and I don't want that happening in baseball. Plus, there are a few franchises now that are getting poor attendance and adding markets doesn't make much sense to me.

Archived