How long does Rickard bat 9th?

sfosfan

Buck said he didn't put Rickard at leadoff in the opener because he didn't want to put extra pressure on the kid. I do like the idea of a second leadoff hitter batting 9th, but this kid is too hot right now. I'm hoping after the first road series, Buck will see the error of his ways and bat Joey leadoff.

I get it with Manny- the team's best hitter getting the most at bats, all good. But still, Manny could move down a spot and he wouldn't suffer one bit. What say you?

sfosfan

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's a non prospect with no power hitting bloopers down the line.

I love the guy but he's clearly the 9th best hitter in the lineup. I see no reason to move him anywhere.

Exactly, let's let him get acclimated down there as our "second" leadoff hitter. Good contact, OBP, and speed he is perfect for that 9th spot until be forces his way to the leadoff spot.

Exactly, let's let him get acclimated down there as our "second" leadoff hitter. Good contact, OBP, and speed he is perfect for that 9th spot until be forces his way to the leadoff spot.

Sounds like a lead guy to me. I get that they should give it a little time but the kid looks really good at the plate, much better than quite a few of our regulars at this point.

He's a non prospect with no power hitting bloopers down the line.

I love the guy but he's clearly the 9th best hitter in the lineup. I see no reason to move him anywhere.

He's not clearly anything at this point. I don't understand how you can make an evaluation like that after two games.

I would move him to leadoff if he can show himself to be productive in the nine spot for the entire month of April. I think we need to see a .330 plus OBP at a minimum.

The Kid has had a couple nice games. Too early to tell what he will become but he has not just hit bloopers. He smoked the sacrifice fly. Buck knows what he is doing. Keep him hitting 9th and see what happens over first month. Love how he disturbed Twins pitcher in 8th by being a stolen base threat. That was cool

The Kid has had a couple nice games. Too early to tell what he will become but he has not just hit bloopers. He smoked the sacrifice fly. Buck knows what he is doing. Keep him hitting 9th and see what happens over first month. Love how he disturbed Twins pitcher in 8th by being a stolen base threat. That was cool

I love this point. Besides Brian Roberts, who was our last legitimate threat to swipe a bag? Freddie Bynum? Lol but seriously?!?!

I love this point. Besides Brian Roberts, who was our last legitimate threat to swipe a bag? Freddie Bynum? Lol but seriously?!?!

Freddie Bynum.. haven't heard that name in forever. What about Corey Patterson? Point taken, though. It's been a long time.

Since 2008 the only players to steal more than 20:

2015 Machado 20

2013 McLouth 30

2010 Patterson 21

2009 Roberts 30

2008 Roberts 40

But let's let Rickard actually steal his first base before we anoint him a threat.

Since 2008 the only players to steal more than 20:

2015 Machado 20

2013 McLouth 30

2010 Patterson 21

2009 Roberts 30

2008 Roberts 40

But let's let Rickard actually steal his first base before we anoint him a threat.

Rickard stole at a 76% success rate in the minors. Brian Roberts, 79% (in the minors).

Does not conventional wisdom say anything less than 70% actually hurts the club?

Archived