I want to know more about Lucas Long

Frobby

I've also noticed that he has been very pitch efficient this year. He averages 13 pitches an inning. That's the best in all of AA by over a pitch (I set the min at 60 IP). The infield fly balls definitely help, but its interesting that he also ranks highly in swinging strikes.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, oceanicvoyage said:

I've also noticed that he has been very pitch efficient this year. He averages 13 pitches an inning. That's the best in all of AA by over a pitch (I set the min at 60 IP). The infield fly balls definitely help, but its interesting that he also ranks highly in swinging strikes.

Statistically he is near the top in almost everything, his fielding independent numbers also lead the league.  If he was a higher draft pick or a little younger, he'd be all over the prospect radar.  

51 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Statistically he is near the top in almost everything, his fielding independent numbers also lead the league.  If he was a higher draft pick or a little younger, he'd be all over the prospect radar.  

Definitely one of the best developments for the O's this year.   I know Tony really liked him when he saw him.   

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Definitely one of the best developments for the O's this year.   I know Tony really liked him when he saw him.   

The OH membership has a tendency to underestimate the effectiveness of fly ball pitchers.  A nice K rate married with a good IFF rate plays. 

27 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The OH membership has a tendency to underestimate the effectiveness of fly ball pitchers.  A nice K rate married with a good IFF rate plays. 

He's not a flyball pitcher though, he's had a GB% above 50% every season. His K rate is only decent, but his K/BB ratio is pretty nice.

o

0 Earned runs over 7 Innings Pitched.

The very first batter of the game for Altoona reached via an error, and scored later that inning on a Sacrifice Fly.

76% of the outs that Long recorded (16 out of 21) came via the Groundout and the Strikeout.

21 OUTS: l  11 Groundouts (Including 2 Double Plays)5 Flyouts, 3 Strikeouts

LUCAS LONG )))))))))) (vs. AA-Altoona, 7/16)

IP:lllll 7

H:llllll 6 ll (6 Singles)

R:lllllll 1

ER:llll 0

BB:ll. 0

SO:llll 3

Pitches: )l 95 )(65 )Strikes)30 )Balls)

2017 ERA: )l 1.91 )l (AA-Bowie)

2017 WHIP: l) 1.037 )l (AA-Bowie) )  80.00 IP  (83 H/BB)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .226 )l (AA-Bowie) )  67 for 296

PITCHES BY INNING

15 ll(11 llllStrikes, ll 4 lllBalls) 

16 ll(10 lllStrikes, ll 6 lllBalls)

14 lll(10 lllStrikes, ll 4 lllBalls)

71 lll(51 lllStrikes, ll 2 lllBalls)

17 lll(11 lllStrikes, ll 6 lllBalls)

14 lll(81 lllStrikes, l. 6 lllBalls)

12 lll(10 lllStrikes, lll 2 lllBalls)

o

4 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

0 Earned runs over 7 Innings Pitched.

The very first batter of the game for Altoona reached via an error, and scored later that inning on a Sacrifice Fly.

76% of the outs that Long recorded (16 out of 21) came via the Groundout and the Strikeout.

21 OUTS: l  11 Groundouts (Including 2 Double Plays)5 Flyouts, 3 Strikeouts

LUCAS LONG )))))))))) (vs. AA-Altoona, 7/16)

IP:lllll 7

H:llllll 6 ll (6 Singles)

R:lllllll 1

ER:llll 0

BB:ll. 0

SO:llll 3

Pitches: )l 95 )(65 )Strikes)30 )Balls)

2017 ERA: )l 1.91 )l (AA-Bowie)

2017 WHIP: l) 1.037 )l (AA-Bowie) )  80.00 IP  (83 H/BB)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .226 )l (AA-Bowie) )  67 for 296

PITCHES BY INNING

15 ll(11 llllStrikes, ll 4 lllBalls) 

16 ll(10 lllStrikes, ll 6 lllBalls)

14 lll(10 lllStrikes, ll 4 lllBalls)

71 lll(51 lllStrikes, ll 2 lllBalls)

17 lll(11 lllStrikes, ll 6 lllBalls)

14 lll(81 lllStrikes, l. 6 lllBalls)

12 lll(10 lllStrikes, lll 2 lllBalls)

o

Call Him up!

o

Back-to-back 7-Inning outings for Long. )) :grouphug:

All 4 Earned Runs that Long ceded came in the 1st inning. 

In the final 6 innings that Long pitched in which he allowed 0 Earned Runs, he threw only 75 pitches.

21 OUTS: l  11 Groundouts4 Lineouts, 3 Strikeouts, 1 Popout, 1 Thrown Out at Home Plate, 1 Thrown Out at 2nd Base

LUCAS LONG )))))))))) (vs. AA-Altoona, 7/21)

IP:lll 7

H:lllll 7 ll (1 Home Run, 2 Doubles, 4 Singles)

R:lllll 5

ER:llll4

BB:lll 0

SO:lll 3

Pitches: )l 93 )(62 )Strikes)31 )Balls)

2017 ERA: )l 2.17 )l (AA-Bowie)

2017 WHIP: l) 1.034 )l (AA-Bowie) )  87.00 IP  (90 H/BB)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .228 )l (AA-Bowie) )  74 for 324

PITCHES BY INNING

18 ll(14 llllStrikes, ll 41  llBalls) 

11 l.(81 lllStrikes, ll 31  llBalls)

81 l.(51 lllStrikes, ll 31 lllBalls)

17 lll(10 lllStrikes, ll 71  llBalls)

81 lll(61 lllStrikes, ll 21  llBalls)

20 lll(10 lllStrikes, ll10 lllllBalls)

11 l..(91  llStrikes, ll 21  llBalls)

o

It's time.  I mean... they've used him from one inning stints to 7 inning stints, and he keeps getting the job done.  As OFFNY's said - with the last 2 being 7 innings each... dude has a 1.03 WHIP, better than 4 to 1 SO/W ratio, opponents hit .228 off of him.  Baltimore has the worst back of the rotation in the majors... it's time.  There should be no more Ubaldo starts in Baltimore.  And Long's sinking action should work well in Camden Yards.  As Lucky said, Call him up!

58 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

It's time.  I mean... they've used him from one inning stints to 7 inning stints, and he keeps getting the job done.  As OFFNY's said - with the last 2 being 7 innings each... dude has a 1.03 WHIP, better than 4 to 1 SO/W ratio, opponents hit .228 off of him.  Baltimore has the worst back of the rotation in the majors... it's time.  There should be no more Ubaldo starts in Baltimore.  And Long's sinking action should work well in Camden Yards.  As Lucky said, Call him up!

I think he's not ready to go multiple times through a MLB lineup. If we want him to be a starter let him finish the year in the minors perhaps getting a taste of AAA and then let him compete for a spot in spring training.

I do think he'd be able to succeed in a relief role at the MLB level currently.

3 hours ago, Ruzious said:

It's time. I mean ...... they've used him from one-inning stints to 7-inning stints, and he keeps getting the job done. As OFFNY said - with the last 2 being 7-innings outings each ...... the dude has a 1.03 WHIP, a better than 4-to-1 Strikeout-to-Walk ratio, and opponents hit .228 off of him.

Baltimore has the worst back of the rotation in the Majors ...... it's time. There should be no more Ubaldo Jimenez starts in Baltimore. And Long's sinking action should work well in Oriole Park @ Camden Yards. As Lucky said, Call him up !!!

2 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

I think he's not ready to go multiple times through a MLB lineup. If we want him to be a starter, let him finish the year in the Minors ...... perhaps give a taste of the AAA level before the 2017 season is out, and then let him compete for a spot in 2018 Spring Training.

o

I agree.

I think that the Orioles need him, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he's ready.

When a team's starting rotation is historically bad (as is the Orioles), that can sometimes cloud the judgement of fans (including my own) as to whether or not a pitcher is ready to tackle the Major Leagues.

o

17 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

I agree.

I think that the Orioles need him, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he's ready.

When a team's starting rotation is historically bad (as is the Orioles), that can sometimes cloud the judgement of fans (including my own) as to whether or not a pitcher is ready to tackle the Major Leagues.

o

Well, I think Long's being underrated all the way around - other than Tony's glowing review of him.   http://www.orioleshangout.com/2017/05/11/scouting-bowie-may-11-means-start-long-shines/  MLB.com doesn't even have him among the O's top 30 prospects - and frankly, there are a few non-prospects in that list.  Long may or may not be ready to start in Baltimore, but we'll never know unless he's given the chance.  That's how things go in baseball.  We do know that he has command and control of his fastball, curve, and change and that he's got a 94 MPH fastball with movement and sinking action.  And given the reports on his stuff and his performance this year, there's no reason Ubaldo should get another start over him in Baltimore, imo.       

22 hours ago, Ruzious said:

21 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

I think he's not ready to go multiple times through a MLB lineup. If we want him to be a starter let him finish the year in the minors perhaps getting a taste of AAA and then let him compete for a spot in spring training.

38 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Well, I think Long's being underrated all the way around - other than Tony's glowing review of him.   http://www.orioleshangout.com/2017/05/11/scouting-bowie-may-11-means-start-long-shines/  MLB.com doesn't even have him among the O's top 30 prospects - and frankly, there are a few non-prospects in that list.  Long may or may not be ready to start in Baltimore, but we'll never know unless he's given the chance. That's how things go in baseball.  We do know that he has command and control of his fastball, curve, and change and that he's got a 94 MPH fastball with movement and sinking action.  And given the reports on his stuff and his performance this year, there's no reason Ubaldo should get another start over him in Baltimore, imo.   

o

The way things go in baseball, prospects also generally don't get rushed in the Majors, particularly prospects that are not even on the 40-man roster whom are 2 steps below the Major Leagues.

The Orioles also have Jayson Aquino, a promising pitcher who has experience at AAA and the Majors (neither of which Long has) who is on the 40-man roster that could take Jimenez' place in the rotation.

Archived