Is it time to consider a new stadium somewhere else?

Shabadoo25

The Orioles have put a pretty good product on the field this year, and still the attendance at weeknight home games is pretty poor. Fans not wanting to go downtown after dark is part of this, apparently.

The Braves are moving from downtown Atlanta towards their more affluent suburbs. Should the Orioles consider a similar move with a new stadium?

Of course not. Have you ever lived in the Baltimore County suburbs? There's absolutely nothing to do there in terms of nightlife. Attendance would be even worse than it is now.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know the area that well as my family moved away from MD before I hit kindergarten. I hear a lot of stories about bad traffic trying to get home after games.

However, Turner Field opened 5 years after OPACY, and the Braves are already dumping it for "safer" surroundings.

I don't know the area that well as my family moved away from MD before I hit kindergarten. I hear a lot of stories about bad traffic trying to get home after games.

However, Turner Field opened 5 years after OPACY, and the Braves are already dumping it for "safer" surroundings.

Turner Field was a converted Olympic Stadium. Camden Yards is the model on which new stadium design has been based.

Are there any reports indicating that the Braves' move is motivated by safety concerns?

Turner Field was a converted Olympic Stadium. Camden Yards is the model on which new stadium design has been based.

Are there any reports indicating that the Braves' move is motivated by safety concerns?

This is from 2012:

"As we sit here in 2012, this isn't where we would have this stadium today. I'm not saying it's a bad place, but it doesn't match up with where the majority of our fans come from."

Brave's stadium needs $200+ million in repairs and improvements to the infrastructural, and throw in improvements for the fan experience, and their dislike over the location, its easy to see why they pushed for a new stadium.

Meh, traffic's not so bad. Baltimore is a relatively easy city to get in and out of, and many people light rail or walk home (the beauty of both pro stadiums being right downtown). I wouldn't trade what we have in Baltimore for something like FedEx EVER.

Everyone seriously needs to relax on the attendance. Out of 8 home games, two have been on weekends. Last year, through 9 home games, 6 were on weekends. The 3 weeknight games drew:

21,633 - vs. NYY, 68 degrees and clear

19,283 - vs. NYY, 56 degrees and overcast

23,409 - vs. NYY, 66 degrees and overcast

These numbers are slightly higher than weekday attendance so far this year, because:

(a) It's colder than last year

(b) Last year's games were against the Yankees.

I was at Yankee Stadium on Sunday afternoon which was a beautiful day and the place was far from sold out. We could be doing attendance wise but there is no reason at all to move the stadium. Honestly, I've never felt unsafe at a game or in the area.

If anything, increase mass transit to and from the stadium. And its pretty decent all ready...

Yeah, as I said, went to a Yankees game and the Subway station was right near the stadium as is the Nats one. I haven't used mass transit to get to an O's game ever but I think it would be great especially if you wanted to have a drink or two before and after the game.

One should never question attendance issues when the basis of the question is weeknight games in April. Why aren't people at the beach in February? Why is the new build a bear workshop on Baltimore street not seeing great sales? Consider the context of the data. The weather is still cold and schools are not out. People are not doing their summer travel. Etc.

The real question is whether the season should be brought back down to 154 games to knock off a week at the beginning and the end. Won't happen...money and all, but it's probably a good idea.

Archived