April 23rd at Seattle

McNulty

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep, the bottom of the 1st will be very indicative. If DCab doesn't get the same latitude with the strike zone, it's going to be a long night.

FWIW, Runge's numbers as a plate ump:

2008 -- 7.75 rpg, 2 "overs" and 2 "unders" (i.e. 2 games that went over the established betting total, 2 that went under)

2007 -- 9.92 rpg, 19 overs, 15 unders

2006 -- 9.67 rpg, 15 overs, 14 unders

2005 -- 5.75 rpg, 2 overs, 5 unders

2004 -- 8.16 rpg, 11 overs, 20 unders

2003 -- 10.88 rpg, 21 overs, 12 unders

2002 -- 8.48 rpg, 15 overs, 14 unders

2001 -- 9.10 rpg, 6 overs, 13 unders

2000 -- 9.59 rpg, 15 overs, 17 unders

1999 -- 8.82 rpg, 7 overs, 9 undres

So the guy has been all over the map. There have been a few seasons where he has been a pretty significant "pitchers' umpire". But other years, not so much.

Over/unders? I don't understand.

Over/unders? I don't understand.

For gambling, there is a total set for the game, and you can bet whether the game goes over the total or under it. I believe the total for tonight's game was 8.5, for example. If I bet over, and the score is 6-3 (9 runs), I win. If it's 4-3 (7 runs), I lose.

I checked the stats to see if Runge has had a very high % of "under's" in his career, which you would expect after watching the top of the first. As it turns out, there have been some years where he's had a ton of unders, but others which have been just the opposite. Very inconsistent.

We need to hit Silva...

We have in the past, haven't we? I remember watching one game at McGuirk's in Federal Hill just before going next door to 8x10 for a concert and watching us get about 13 hits off Silva before the Twins mercifully took him out. Maybe a couple years ago.

The guy has always been very hittable.

For gambling, there is a total set for the game, and you can bet whether the game goes over the total or under it. I believe the total for tonight's game was 8.5, for example. If I bet over, and the score is 6-3 (9 runs), I win. If it's 4-3 (7 runs), I lose.

I checked the stats to see if Runge has had a very high % of "under's" in his career, which you would expect after watching the top of the first. As it turns out, there have been some years where he's had a ton of unders, but others which have been just the opposite. Very inconsistent.

I see, the knew about the gambling concept, but I didn't realize you were meshing the gambling data with the umpire stats. I like it.

We have in the past, haven't we? I remember watching one game at McGuirk's in Federal Hill just before going next door to 8x10 for a concert and watching us get about 13 hits off Silva before the Twins mercifully took him out. Maybe a couple years ago.

The guy has always been very hittable.

We have. Especially Roberts and Markakis. That's why the good for nothing ump called them both out on balls. It's tough to beat a guy who doesn't have to throw strikes, no matter how good of a read you have on him. At least the O's seem to be adjusting their approach to realize that this ump is going to screw them all night. :cool:

Archived